fbpx
Connect with us

English Football League

Oxford contact police over alleged headbutt by Sunderland coach

Oxford United contact police over an alleged headbutt on keeper Jack Stevens by a Sunderland coach in the tunnel at half time.

The League One fixture ended up going in favour of a 3-1 win for Lee Johnson’s side, however it was marred by an incident during the break.

The result sees the Black Cats boost their promotion chances, going third and two points off the automatic places.

Oxford United however sit 11th, moving further away from the playoffs, however are still fourth points from reaching them.

Karl Robinson on what happened in the tunnel at half-time: “Their players know what went on. Our goalkeeper will be making a charge. We’ll leave the rest to the police.”

This club has had more cameras than any other club in football in the last two years – but strangely there’s no cameras in the tunnel at half-time. I know what went on though.”

Karl tells the Oxford Mail that young keeper Jack Stevens was head-butted in the tunnel at half-time. U’s players waited for the police to turn up post-match.

“There was a melee at half-time. Jack’s walked behind him, he has turned round and head-butted him.” KR not naming who’s alleged to have done it and says officials didn’t see it.

Karl Robinson can be seen clearly incensed at what he feels was a half-time attack on the goalkeeper in the tunnel. He confirms there will now be police involvement.

Lee Johnson on the incident at half-time

The Black Cats head coach revealed that he didn’t see the incident at half time and was keen to draw a line in the sand.

He added that certain Oxford staff didn’t come out of the incident well and said that there was some “deflection” from Karl Robinson in his post-match comments.

Sunderland came from behind to see off ten-man Oxford United and stay on course for promotion.

The Black Cats found themselves one down to James Henry’s goal halfway through the first ha;f, but Lynden Gooch managed to level in injury-time before the break.

Oxford were left shorthanded for the final half-hour of the match when Mark Sykes was sent off for a second bookable offence.

From there Sunderland took control, with Jordan Jones striking the woodwork as they pressed for a winner.

Aiden McGeady completed the turnaround in the final ten minutes, and Max Power added a third in injury-time to prevent an Oxford fightback.

Fans reacted as Oxford United contact police over an alleged headbutt on keeper Jack Stevens by a Sunderland coach in the tunnel at half time….

@brianlockyer1: Max power no doubt complete tosser

@RichOUFC: Something else kettle missed then

@conker_697: The true shithousery of this afternoon will be when a Sunderland member of staff is charged with Assault #oufc

@JWYOUFC: Wow! Shocking from @SunderlandAFC

@Rosie_may16: WTF just why would anyone do that

@kielwats0n: Like haway, we’ve all been involved playing and watching football, fights happen all the time. Who the hell gets the police involved? 😂 Karl Robinson the soft get wants to get a grip! Hahaha

@Dom_webb13: If someone was head butted in the street that would be assault. Karl Robinson is perfectly within his rights to call the police if a player has been head butted by a member of the opposing teams staff. I know the knuckle dragging morons of Sunderland won’t understand that though.

@NatWally2711: Karl Robinson. Absolute fucking legend.

@CLQ_W1LKS: As a Sunderland fan shocked and dismayed by this. Hopefully it’s nothing to serious and those involved get the punishment fitting. I know we record the tunnel for YouTube videos so plenty evidence

@leohcafc: Should be deducted 10 points Imo

@GeorgeHogg93: Any idea who headbutted our Jack? Whoever it was, hope they get banned. Disgusting

@andrew17taylor: All cameras were off conveniently

@Ridderz86: Blatantly Aiden Mcgeady. Man attacks everything

@HughesJoe94: Karl Robinson: won’t name anyone who head butted us. Also cameras were turned off and we were all looking away at the time. What a miserable sour cunt who can’t take a loss. Couldn’t be my club #safc

@NatWally2711: Sunderland player or coaching staff to be arrested? Good. Very much deserved. #oufc

@SOMBROCO: Sunderland are cheating bastards. Trevor Kettle match fixed, didn’t see a headbutt in the tunnel despite watching it. Then threw them the game. Jack Stevens has filed charges against the player rightfully so. 12v10, serious match fixing in favour of Sunderland

@DanielClarke9: Did Netflix catch the incident #oufc #safc

@mlambourne: I can imagine Stevens is bit of a wind up…#oufc

@jack24hayle: If #SAFC are all innocent and Robinson is lying like a lot of the comments are saying, why were the cameras turned off? #OUFC

@TigerDor: Deduct points. At least 10