fbpx
Connect with us

Barnsley

Bolton players taunt Barnsley and their fans after scoring 98th minute equaliser

Bolton Wanderers players couldn’t help but taunt Barnsley and their fans after scoring a 98th minute equaliser on Tuesday night.

Barnsley took control of the game with goals from John McAtee and Donovan Pines putting the hosts 2-0 up by the 47th minute.

But Bolton fought back with strikes from Victor Adeboyejo and Williams to level the scores, with Ian Evatt’s side moving back into the League One automatic promotion places while Barnsley remains 4th.

McAtee slotted the ball past Joel Coleman after 25 minutes, getting on the end of a loose ball that fell to him when George Thomason’s clearance was blocked by Mael de Gevigney. McAtee calmly slotted the ball past Joel Coleman.

Pines then extended Barnsley’s lead with a powerful finish just after the break, as the ball found the back of the net off the underside of the bar from Luca Connell’s corner.

Bolton pulled a goal back in the 62nd minute when Thomason found Aaron Collins, sending the ball across the face of the goal for Adeboyejo to finish from close range.

Bolton’s Jon Dadi Bodvarsson saw his shot hit the post in the closing stages, then a penalty was awarded in the final moments following a foul, Roberts saved Josh Sheehan’s spot-kick, but Williams was quick to react and scored in the eighth minute of added time to secure the draw.

Wanderers: Coleman; Jones, Almeida Santos, Toal; Sheehan; Dacres-Cogley (Iredale 52), Dempsey (Maghoma 70), Thomason, Ogbeta (Williams 70); Collins (Bodvarsson 79), Adeboyejo (Jerome 79). Substitutes: Iredale, Forrester, Morley.

Booked: Thomason, Iredale, Jerome

Barnsley: Roberts; Williams, Pines, De Gevigney, Earl, Cadden (O’Keeffe 67), Connell, Kane, Phillips (Cotter 83), McAtee (Grant 67), Cole (Cosgrove 94). Substitutes: Killip, Russell, Cosgrove, McCart.

Booked: Williams, McAtee

Referee: James Bell

Attendance: 14,808

Bolton’s Ian Evatt said post-match: “Great credit to the players. We got the first one back and then it’s just a matter of time. The downside is we missed too many gilt-edged opportunities because some of the play was exceptional.

“We missed chance after chance after chance but they kept the faith and belief to keep going and we got at least what we deserved.

“These boys have unbelievable character and unbelievable strength of togetherness. They are a really talented bunch and I don’t think even they believe how good they are. We need to get them believing because when they play like that, they batter teams into submission. When they get it right, we are a tough team to stop.

“There aren’t many teams that can come second half and dominate Barnsley like that. It’s the least we deserved, but a little bit of me is frustrated that we didn’t win the game. I don’t think anyone would have argued with that either.

“The fans were amazing in the second half. There were some frustrations from them in the first half and rightly so, because we got ourselves into the game and almost gave it away. Then it was amazing to come back from 2-0 down and the only frustration for me is that we should have won that game.

“We’re in second place and the hard work starts now. There are lots of points to play for, lots of games to go, lots of twists and turns.

“Everyone is on a level playing field now with the games. There are 10 games to go, 30 points to play for. Teams still have to play each other and we’ve got to go to Derby next week.

“But the Exeter game on Saturday counts the same as that one and the same as today, so we just have to focus on the next challenge. And if we can do the things we’ve done tonight consistently, and what I’ve seen in the last two games, I think we’ll be OK.”

Barnsley’s Neill Collins said: “Credit to the players. They gave everything. For two thirds of the game, if not more, I thought we were outstanding.

“Just that final part, it’s the reason we’re not celebrating the win.

“But against a very good side who were always going to take you to the final whistle.

“Really pleased with a lot of parts of the performance, especially in such a big game.

“Just disappointed that a couple of cracks appeared that we need to sort so that doesn’t happen again.”

Collins added, per Yorkshire Post: “We’ve got to be careful using words like gutting and devastating.

“It’s disappointing because you’re 2-0 up and you’ve had a fantastic performance, probably to the 85th minute.

“And then really they came on top. We’re all really disappointed because we wanted to be celebrating three points and for large parts of the game, we probably deserved three points.

“We were up against a really good side. One they get the goal to go 2-1, you’re going to be under pressure. I think we could have handled it a little better.

“We’ve got to be really careful that we don’t feel disappointed too long because we’ve got 11 games left and we’re a point closer to where we need to be.

“I think we’ve got to take the positives as always and learn some harsh lessons as well.

“If we continue to improve, we’ll be there or thereabouts.”

There was plenty of reaction on Twitter as Bolton players taunt Barnsley and their fans after scoring a 98th minute equaliser…

@bwfcbwfc: Casual knee slide and a little kiss 😘 from @JackIredale14 #BWFC

@quecosinha: Pure shithouse, love it

@CabezaJake: Waant Evatt crying about our players celebrating a win? Whats he got to say about his players celebrating a draw in front of Barnsley fans?

@DianeCritchley: What a bunch of Hypocrites, Evatt was crying about this last week. 💩🤡👹💩🤡👹