Arsenal

Arsenal fans taunt Sheffield United supporters leaving after 15 minutes into 6-0 thrashing

Arsenal fans taunt Sheffield United supporters leaving the stadium after just 15 minutes into the 6-0 thrashing on Monday night.

The Gunners were five ahead by half time with goals from Martin Odegaard, Jayden Bogle’s own goal, Gabriel Martinelli, Kai Havertz and Declan Rice with Ben White getting in on the act in the second half.

Sheffield United fans were seen walking out of the stadium after Arsenal went 3-0 up after 15 minutes and then again on the 25th minute after Kai Havertz added a fourth.

Player ratings (per Sky Sports)

Sheffield United: Grbic (4); Bogle (3), Ahmedhodzic (4), Trusty (3), Robinson (4); Norwood (2), Souza (5), Hamer (5), Davies (5); McAtee (4), McBurnie (4)

Subs:Osborn (4), Baldock (6), Osula (6), Brooks (6), Arblaster (6)

Arsenal: Raya (7); White (8), Saliba (7), Gabriel (7), Kiwior (8); Jorginho (7), Rice (8), Odegaard (9); Saka (8), Havertz (8), Martinelli (8)

Subs:Vieira (7), Partey (6), Cedric (6), Jesus (6), Trossard (6)

Player of the match: Martin Odegaard (Arsenal)

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder, speaking to BBC MOTD: “I think we, not gifted goals away, but could have done better in certain situations. Arsenal were outstanding. We didn’t track runners and made it pretty easy for them to open us up.

“They cut us wide open, they are doing that to a lot of teams, I’m not saying that makes us feel better because that is another long night for this club.

“Saka took us to pieces down that side, whatever you need to do you have to try and stem the tide, especially when they are in full flow. When they get five at the top of the pitch they find that pass and movement and then it is difficult to stop.

“We didn’t have an answer to anything they had. The result is what the result is and we have to live with it.”

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder, speaking to Sky Sports: “We’ve got to dust ourselves down and go again on Saturday.

“I understand supporters leaving, but the noise at the end was amazing.

“The boys are a damaged group of players, they have had some bad defeats and they are hurting.

“There were some disappointing performances all over the park and if you are not at your level you are going to get punished. We could not lay a glove on them.

“You have to be on your level because these top teams can take you are apart.

“The game was lost because we made elementary mistakes, not to do with motivation. It looks like you are not trying but the boys are hurting.

“It might be a time for me to look who takes us forward in these next game, the young guns who came on at half-time were great Oliver Luke Arblaster, Andre Brooks and William Osula – I have got some big decision to make.

“They were in a different planet today that is the reason they are in their position.

“I have talked about being a professional and from a motivation point of view they are professionals and we get paid very well.

“We are at a level where we have to motivate ourselves the stuff we have gone through before goes out the window if we make elementary mistakes.”

Arsenal captain Martin Odegaard, speaking to Sky Sports:

“We know it is a tough place to come.

“We have done really good and controlled the game, we knew what their game was like and when we had the ball we were in a good mood and created a lot – a solid and nice performance.

“We wanted to keep the momentum going and wanted to start strong, places like this can be tricky if you don’t start well and we didn’t stop from there.

“I think it’s unbelievable the work we do without the ball. We won 6-0 today and recently we have won a lot, but the work we do without the ball from the front to the goalkeeper is really good and it is a pleasure to be a part of.

“We work on getting enough people in the box, for myself I like to come from the deep and end up on the penalty spot. The front players attack other areas and one of us will get the ball and score hopefully.”

On having a winter-break: “I think we needed a break to be honest. We was in a tough moment before, we was tired and we needed a restart.

“We worked on some details and had some time off and comeback strong, we just need to keep it up as the end of the season is when it matters.

“Every game is crucial. The top is a good fight and every game is important and another three points is what we want to get, so hopefully we can do that.”

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta, speaking to BBC MOTD: “A great performance and a big result for us again with the amount of goals we scored and the clean sheet. The team shows signs of wanting more, very positive.

“We got goals against a team that is very well organised but we managed to open them up on three of four occasions.

“It is believing in the players. They have the capacity to do it. When things are going well that helps the confidence and the players have been brilliant.”

On potentially going top of the table on Saturday: “There’s a lot of ifs. We have to prepare for the game really well and earn the right to win the game. If we do those and can win it, we will see.

“The energy is really good at the moment. When you are winning everything is easier, we have to maintain momentum now.

“You lean from everything. We just hope we can be better and get more points than we did last season. We have some players back as well, that’s great news so let’s give it a go.”

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta, speaking to Sky Sports: “I love the way the team played with the quality we showed. The aggression as well with and without the ball, but we are really happy with the way we played and also kept a clean sheet.

“We have to continue what we are doing and I’m happy to get some players back like Fabio Vieira and Thomas Partey – now it’s about maintaining momentum.”

“We will enjoy this today and then it is Brentford – we will keep going.”

On goal difference compared to Man City and Liverpool:“I don’t know if it will be crucial. We need to win the remaining games and in order to do that we have to beat Brentford.”

On needing a striker: “We really love our players and it’s our job to improve them and give them the resources and put them in situations that they can explore their qualities.”

On beating Brentford this weekend and going top of the league: “I don’t know how tough it is going to be against Brentford, we will try to prepare in the best possible way and try to win the game.”

On the winter-break: “We had a condensed period and a lot of players out and a few defeats too.

“This is football and sometimes it is a good wake-up call putting things aside and enjoying the nature it’s a really positive thing to do.”

On injuries to Saka and Martinelli: “Bukayo was feeling sick and not feeling right. With Martinelli it was a slight cut so we have to see how he is.”

Jamie Carragher said the first half from Sheffield United was a ‘disgrace’ and the ‘worst-ever’.

“That first half from Sheffield United was a disgrace,” he said. “It’s one of the most one-sided games of football I’ve ever seen.

“To consider you come into this game on the back of losing two Premier League home games 5-0, that’s shocking – it really is. It’s probably one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen.

“I can’t think of anything worse I’ve ever seen in a half of football than that.

“Whatever Chris Wilder decides to do [going forward] he’s going to be sat on the bench terrified that he’s going to have more games like that.

“You actually look at Sheffield United and, in some ways, they almost had a better team last season in the Championship.

“You can talk about Chris Wilder, the players but you can also look at the ownership as well with what happened in the summer losing two of their best players (Sander Berge, Iliman Ndiaye). They were just not equipped for the Premier League.

“I don’t think any team whether you’re in the Premier League, League Two or the Conference, would expect Arsenal to be 5-0 up at half-time. That’s not acceptable.”

This is what Twitter users said as Arsenal fans taunt Sheffield United supporters leaving after 15 minutes into the 6-0 thrashing…

@DanAuton2590: Genuinely, not turning up for a game is an automatic 3-0 loss, I think it’s worth considering lads 🤷‍♀️ #sufc

@_callumfowler: Honestly not even a bad result nice one lads

@solidpython: This is the worst season of football I’ve witnessed so far in my 35 years on this Earth. Mournful stuff. #TwitterBlades

@HaydnWilshaw: I can take a defeat, getting outplayed and even out fought but to show nothing for game after game with zero pride or effort is a minimum any professional should be doing, pathetic

@Michael89300079: Total humiliation. Our owner should make a public apology to the Clubs Employees, Sponsors & the fans. A total dereliction of duty. This is on him. End of!

@ChicoJnr1985: Finally, more people turning their attention to the owner. How he’s got away with this for so long is criminal. No money, yet let 14 first team players who are worth something, walk away for free. The clubs fucked with him and Bettis sat on his arse. #twitterblades

@GodberMick: The gap in class is embarrassing but that was sorted in the summer with the signings and departures.We’ve got championship players, some aren’t playing well, some don’t look bothered, playing against the best! Only 1 outcome! See you At Bournemouth! #Twitterblades

@unitedite: The root of the problems this season are at the top of the tree. But it’s rotten throughout. No plan, no strategy, financial mismanagement meaning we spend 3 years in 5 in PL and have nothing to show for it. Going down with a worse squad than came up (both times) #twitterblades

@cheetham_james: Best side we’ve seen at the Lane this season. The young players may lack composure at times, but they really showed up the more seasoned players with their passion and effort 🔥 That’s what gets the fans behind them ❤️ Oh, and give Baldock the captaincy FFS! 🙄 #twitterblades

@JasonKinder38: I’ve followed United far down the leagues playing in front of 8,000 at home. This team is the worst/least enjoyable I have ever seen. An absolute embasement to the badge, fans, city, league and country. I hate them. #twitterblades

More in Arsenal