£13.5m ex-Premier League player trains with English 10th tier club

An ex-Premier League player, who was bought for a fee worth £13.5m, trains with an English 10th tier club in a fall from grace.

Former Everton frontman Oumar Niasse has made himself potentially one of the top flight’s biggest ever flops following his deadline day move back in January 2016.

The Senegalese striker joined the Toffees from Lokomotiv Moscow, but fast froward to today and you’ll find him training with West Didsbury & Chorlton.

The North West Counties Football League Division One South outfit have welcomed the free agent in for the time being as he searches for fitness and a new club if anyone wants him.

After scoring 19 goals in 42 appearances out in Russia, including the equaliser in Lokomotiv’s 2015 Russian Cup final comeback triumph, Everton were clearly impressed, so made him their third most expensive signing at the time.

However, the Premier League dream soon turned into a nightmare for the player, playing just 152 minutes of football during the remainder of the 2015-16 campaign, with Niasse of course not being able to find the net, and this led to him being snubbed when it came to squad number selections for the following season.

Five goals in 19 appearances on loan at Hull City during the second half of that campaign couldn’t prevent the Tigers from avoiding the drop, though it did offer Niasse an Everton lifeline somehow.

He improved for the 2017-18 campaign, hitting nine goals in 25 outings, though ultimately it wasn’t to be in big time and as a disappointing loan spell with Cardiff City, added with Everton’s managerial merry-go-round, hindered any hopes of success in the Prem.

In 2020, after having been frozen out yet again, he departed Goodison Park and disappeared from the game altogether. That was until nearly a year later in 2021 when Huddersfield Town came calling, much to the excitement of manager Carlos Corberan.

“Oumar has played the highest level of English football for over three years, which means he has all the necessary skills to play in the Championship,” the Spanish coach said.

“He is a striker with the dynamic to work very hard, to press the opponent and attack the space.”

Just when Niasse hoped to get going again, he injured himself in training and left in the summer without ever making an appearance for the Terriers.

At 31, Niasse still hasn’t given up hopes of making it in England and according to the Yorkshire Post, he has been in training with West Didsbury & Chorlton since last month in search of fitness, a new club and one last shot at redemption.

Twitter users reacted with reports that the £13.5m ex-Premier League player trains with a English 10th tier club these days…

@Deathspike: Scored 8 goals for us. Almost certain he would do better than Rondon up top for us

@_luke1878_: He could definitely do a job in the championship or league 1

@zodoz9: Finally found his level then.

@mpeverton1980: He was on 60k per week when he played for us, i wouldn’t feel too sorry for him

@romkidda: The guy never lived up to our expectations as he just wasn’t good enough but he always tried his best, always had a smile on his face and never ever complained, even though we treated him like shit. I wish the guy all the best.

@irish_toffee87: Woeful player.

@78PEZZA: The money we have squandered in recent years is frightening. No more so than here on players that simply aren’t good enough to be playing top flight football. #EFC

@joewhitehead__: If that’s the case then Rondon needs to be training with Wythenshawe Amateurs because Niasse is a lot better than him.

@Marco_willo5: Our recruiting really has been horrific no wonder we are in a mess when we sign the likes of Niasse, Sandro, Cuco, Tosun to name a few, it’s embarrassing to be a blue when you look at the list of crap we’ve had

@Andy_H_EFC: Honestly, I’ve spent every waking moment I’ve had since I laid eyes on him when his name came up telling everyone that he was never, in a million years, a professional footballer. This has validated my existence. Give me Iwobi, Tosun, etc every day of every week over him.

@Scufflers: Pre Moshiri this one, back when that was a fairly large sum for Everton. At least he grafted hard – and he scored a goal with his arse.

@MarkLewisCarter: Kinda feel bad for Oumar. Lovely guy, always smiling, always seemed like he had a massive love for the game, but it just never clicked for him and he just struggled to put chances away. But I suppose like any job, if you don’t complete what you are paid for, it has consequences.

@kiddakowalski: I fucking hate our club sometimes you know. He wasn’t even Martinez worst signing and I actually heard people saying they’d have him back this summer?? FFS

@SteGt3efc: Another fraud this club signed

@tiernandr: Hahaha I’m sorry what

@ZachRowlandson: We are living in a simulation.