fbpx
Connect with us

English Football League

Tributes paid to ex-Newcastle, Norwich, West Ham boss who dies aged 65

Tributes have been paid to ex-Newcastle, Norwich, West Ham boss Glenn Roeder who dies aged 65 after a battle with a brain tumour.

Roeder, who was a defender during his playing days between 1973 and 1993, began his managerial career with a spell in charge at Gillingham.

He was also a coach in the England set-up when Glenn Hoddle was manager.

The LMA posted on their website: “The LMA is so very deeply saddened following the death of member Glenn Roeder, at the age of 65, after a long battle with a brain tumour.

“Glenn was a highly respected and much loved member of the coaching fraternity, having managed Gillingham, Watford, Norwich City, as well as at Premier League sides West Ham United and Newcastle United, and having served as a coach under Glenn Hoddle for the England national team.”

LMA Chairman Howard Wilkinson said in a statement: “A cultured defender as a player, he managed with a studious style and was always generous with his time and ideas.

“Glenn was such an unassuming, kind gentleman who demonstrated lifelong dedication to the game. Not one to court headlines, his commitment and application to his work at all levels warrants special mention.

“Football has lost a great servant today and our sincere condolences go to Glenn’s family and friends.”

While LMA Chief Executive Richard Bevan added: “Glenn achieved so much throughout his lifelong career in the game.

“After retiring as a player, he became one of the country’s most respected coaches, working across all levels of the professional game, in senior and academy football, and acting as a trusted advisor to many coaches and players.

“At every club, he chose to develop new talent and to give opportunities to the younger players in his charge.

“He will be sorely missed by all of the LMA’s members and his colleagues from across the game.

“Our heartfelt thoughts are with Glenn’s wife Faith, his daughter Holly, his sons Will and Joe and all of Glenn’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

Perry Groves pays tribute to the late Glenn Roeder, saying on talkSPORT: “He would’ve flourished in today’s modern game.” “I got to meet him a couple of times, he was a gentleman. A really nice man.” “He was a joy to watch as a centre half.”

Newcastle United wrote: “Everybody at the club – including several staff still with the club who worked alongside him during his time at St. James’ Park – send their condolences to Glenn’s wife, Faith, his daughter, Holly, his sons, Will and Joe, and all of his family and friends at this extremely sad time.”

Former Three Lions striker Gary Lineker said Roeder was “a real football man who had a great career both on the field and in the dugout”.

Former Scotland midfielder Don Hutchison played under Roeder at West Ham.

“I’ll never ever forget when my dad was passing away,” said Hutchison on social media. “The gaffa told me to get in my car to Newcastle and go see him quick.

“Glenn was on the phone with me for all five hours of my journey! Sleep well gaffa.

“My thoughts are with his family.”

Norwich City said they were “deeply saddened” by Roeder’s death and “the thoughts of everyone at the club are with Glenn’s family and friends at this very sad time”.

ROEDER’S CAREER:

Youth career
1970–1973 – Arsenal

Senior career
1973–1978 – Leyton Orient – 115 games (4 goals)
1978–1983 – Queens Park Rangers – 157 games (17 goals)
1983 → Notts County (loan) – 4 games (0 goals)
1983–1989 – Newcastle United – 193 games (8 goals)
1989–1992 – Watford – 78 games (2 goals)
1992 – Leyton Orient – 8 games (0 goals)
1992–1993 – Gillingham – 6 games (0 goals)
Total – 561 games (31 goals)

National team
England B – 7 games (0 goals)

Teams managed
1992–1993 – Gillingham (Player-manager)
1993–1996 – Watford
2001–2003 – West Ham United
2006–2007 – Newcastle United
2007–2009 – Norwich City
2016–2018 – Stevenage (Managerial Advisor)

Gary Neville worked with Roeder when he was a player in the England set-up and also paid tribute to his former coach.

Neville said: “I worked with him for a couple of seasons. He was a fantastic person, well respected by all the players and it’s really sad news.”

@chris_kammy tweeted: “RIP Glenn Roeder, superb player & had a fab career in the game. Top bloke he was as well. At 65 taken too early. Can picture him on the ball now, we all knew he would do the step over but everyone fell for it.

Fans reacted as the tributes are paid to the ex-Newcastle, Norwich, West Ham boss who dies aged 65…

@GafferReal: Grew up with Glenn, Played youth/reserve football at Arsenal and Leyton Orient…. Took our coaching badges together and often stay at each other houses to study the courses. He will be missed and of course the double shuffle he used to do…. when he played RIP

@emmahughes6: Ahhh that is sad to hear…he was so lovely all those years ago when my dad was first diagnosed with a brain tumor – sending lots of love to his family

@joecornbill: RIP ⚫️⚪️ took over the pile of shite Souness left us in and into Europe, even if it was through the Intertoto 👀

@Jonathan_Sm04: RIP Glenn Roeder great character of the game

@martypefc: Sad news, I always thought he came across as a decent man and manager RIP

@leefmullin: He was of a rare breed, always said things how it was but in the right way to see everything from both sides, patient but fair. He started to build a good team at West Ham. RIP Glenn, thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues. YNWA.

@fc1892: RIP. Propper decent bloke and good player. First centre half I saw that could bring the ball out and play a bit. Better manager than he’s given credit for as well. Sad news.

@davidgray7: A cracking player and manager…but more importantly a real gentleman of the game and a beloved Toon legend.

@Rickardo_nufc: RIP Glenn, sorry to hear of his passing and at a relatively young age. I enjoyed the turn around that season as we worked our way up the league into the dizzy heights of the Europa league. Solano was a star that season too. Thoughts are with your family at this time.

@ToriesAreCunts: Such a decent man. Great servant for the club. Did a brilliant job with the finish to the season when he took over, taking us to 7th. A sad end to a great life, RIP

@PeterSimmoYNWA: How sad is this? Always seemed a decent bloke Roeder. Remember him being close with Gascoigne back in the day. Deepest sympathy to his friends and family. x

@bism763: Always remembered for me as steadying the Newcastle ship as manager and got a team playing with pride and belief again…great honest bloke and human being… RIP Glenn

@EssexWomble: Very sad, RIP. A very good man. I met him on a number of occasions. When he learned I was starting a girls football team at the school where I worked, he arranged to donate an England tracksuit signed by Gazza. It allowed us to raise enough to buy a team kit. A real football man.

@wayne3078: A real class act in a game that has few gents in it RIP Glenn

@thegemsons: RIP Glenn. Majestic player, decent manager and all round nice guy.

@S1mpson: Im a Sunderland fan and i always thought he came across as a good honest manager and good figure head for the club. RIP Glenn Roeder, passed away far too young.

@ataylor1892: Very sad news indeed. Glenn was a great guy who just understood Newcastle United and it’s fans. We will never forget you Glenn, what you did for the club and your love for the Toon fans. #RIPGlenn

More tributes were paid to the ex-Newcastle, Norwich, West Ham boss who sadly dies aged 65…

@ToonMouthTyne: RIP to Glenn Roeder. ◾ Player ◾ Captain ◾ Academy director ◾ Manager He literally did everything at #NUFC. Not mentioned enough. Let us remember him.

@a_cheevers6: RIP Glenn Roeder. A proper football man, and someone who always came across as a true gentleman. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

@vinnywhufc: In the process currently of writing about the 2002/03 season and have obviously been focusing on Glenn Roeder a lot. Shocked by the news and condolences go out to his family. R.I.P

@bwfctalk: RIP Glenn Roeder, remember him being Gazzas minder when he went to Italy

@Thomas_NUST: Such sad news about Glenn Roeder. Wasn’t around for when he was a player, but as a manager it’s nothing but happy memories. Sunderland away 4-1. European football. He took Newcastle United to his heart, no one had a bad word to say. RIP

@bigpapablu: The amount of love we retained for Glenn Roeder is so good to see on here. He was an artist of a centre half before that was really a thing. Remember the shuffle? That was his own. Special player. Special bloke. Feel like crying #RIPGlenn

@1oftheToonArmy: RIP Glenn Roeder. Underrated at your time with the club as a manager and that season you got us European football was a great achievement. A true Gentleman #nufc

@geordiedentist: Awww man. Glenn Roeder. Keep shuffling man. Keep shuffling #nufc

Click to comment

Leave a Reply