QPR have had to quickly issue a statement on reports linking manager Mark Warburton with a position with the FA, on Tuesday night.
The 58 year old was claimed to be one of two candidates interviewed to become the game’s new assistant technical director and is understood to be the preferred choice.
The Sun stated in their now deleted article that the West London outfit believe they should be paid compensation by Wembley bosses for taking their manager.
After claiming three wins in their last four, Mark Warburton is set to quit #QPR to take up an assistant technical director role at the FA 🔵⚪
— The Sack Race (@thesackrace) April 20, 2021
The FA stance is that no compensation should be paid for the role, a position which various reports understands is leaving officials at the Championship club angry.
The process is causing a disagreement, with SunSport adding there is a growing resignation that Warburton will be on his way at the end of the season, with the club currently sitting 8th in the Championship table.
The Football Association is looking to appoint someone for the role left vacant by John McDermott who succeeds Les Reed in favour of a role in English football’s coaching and development programme at the start of the year.
Duncan Wright said his The Sun’s article: “McDermott has achieved huge power and influence within the national game within a year of quitting Tottenham to take up the assistant role last March.
“He is overseeing the recruitment process for his new assistant and for the vacant England under-21 role, with his old buddy from Spurs Justin Cochrane now the favourite for that job.
“And his long-standing relationship with Warburton is a major factor in the ex-Rangers manager being the preferred choice to be his assistant.
“The only other candidate interviewed is highly-respected coach Michael Johnson.
“He had been working on the staff of the under-21s as well as his role as Sporting Director of Irish club Limerick.
“Though his credentials are thought to be outstanding it is believed the friendship between McDermott and Warburton has given the QPR boss the edge.”
This then led to QPR having to issue a statement on the reports linking manager with an FA position.
📝 A statement in response to speculation surrounding Mark Warburton’s future.#QPR
— QPR FC (@QPR) April 20, 2021
It read: “QPR would like to confirm there’s absolutely no truth in reports suggesting Mark Warburton is considering leaving the club to take up the role as assistant technical director at the FA.
Speaking after Tuesday night’s win against Swansea City, R’s boss Warburton said: “I don’t know where this has come from, there isn’t a grain of truth in it.
“I’m completely committed to QPR and am focused on the job in hand.”
CEO Lee Hoos added: “Mark Warburton is not leaving for The FA.
“It’s a pity the publication (The Sun) did not bother checking their facts before releasing the article which is so wide of the mark.”
— QPR FC (@QPR) April 20, 2021
Warburton admitted his players had been motivated in their 1-0 win at Swansea by talk of them having nothing to play for in the closing weeks of the campaign.
Warburton said: “I hate this mid-table mediocrity nonsense. It’s your responsibility to hunt down every point when you pull the shirt on.
“I heard it said there were two sides at Middlesbrough (on Saturday) with nothing to play for.
“I thought that was massively disrespectful. You’re a professional player. How can you have nothing to play for?
“Young players trying to impress for next season, players trying to earn new contracts.
“I get angry about that. If we can finish in the top 10 on one of the smaller budgets we’ve done really well.”
“Technically we are not (out of the running) but it’s a mammoth task now and we obviously haven’t helped ourselves tonight,” head coach Cooper said after Swansea’s third home defeat in four games.
“We have just got to make sure we win the next game. There are three left and unless we win games nothing can happen.
“It’s been a psychological test for a while and it still is. We have to prepare and then deliver.”
“We are disappointed because of the number of chances we created in the first half which we didn’t take and it cost us,” Cooper said.
“I would have expected to have taken one. We didn’t manage to create as much in second half, because turned the ball over and lacked composure.
“That’s not like us. We conceded territory and that’s how they took advantage with the goal at the end.
“We tried to make changes and alter the shape but we couldn’t affect the game.”
Fans reacted after seeing that the QPR manager is reportedly set to quit to take up assistant technical director role at FA…
@lindzdatsme: Only ourselves to blame rolling contract nonsense @QPR
@AnalyticsQpr: Oh mate
@Ekbalco: Really?? He’s building a side with potential at #QPR & he’s off to the FA? Come on @QPR give him a new contract, like NOW!!!
@Eddie_1415: Please no
@Judethecat: Well this would be a disappointment.
@LouisMoir99: Surely not…
@Ekbalco: Don’t go!!
@gmkelly1979: Would’ve liked him as the Scottish performance director tbh. As a manager, not so much.
@lucawab: erm erm what
@Daily_Hoopss: @dwright75 I appreciate your doing your job. But at least allow #QPR fans to enjoy the night FFS. Can’t it wait till tomorrow morning!
@Evan_Manister1: Need to tie him down on a new deal imo
@CW_Wells123: Oh shit.
@lharco321: Please stay x
@CamAnderson77: Surely not
@JackM_QPR: Bloody hell
@dbell7_: I beg this isn’t true
@monners1969: We’re not allowed nice things
@RNevofficial: Fuck me, bloody well hope this is bollocks
@BillyMaguire7: Back to square one
@QPRLiam: Fucking hell surely not 🤯
@AndrewParris7: What a man 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
@Richard66640174: Please don’t go. But if you do, the foundation have been set and the club continue to stay going in the right direction on the field and off. You will go knowing you have left a club in a much better position than when you arrived.
@dangerrice: Oh FFS
— Colin Clarke (@QprColin) April 20, 2021