Connect with us

English Football League

More upsets produced in Sunday’s FA Cup First Round fixtures

More upsets were produced in Sunday’s FA Cup First Round fixtures, following on from ties already played on Friday and Saturday.

Solihull Moors were the first to do so this afternoon, winning the lunchtime kick-off 2-1 and knocking out League Two strugglers Scunthorpe United.

Stephen Gleeson put the National League side one up after 4 minutes. Cameron Coxe was fouled in the area by Junior Brown and the former Birmingham and MK Dons midfielder Gleeson hit the ball calmly into the back of the net.

10 minutes later, the Iron found themselves level, John McAtee sending in a teasing cross which missed everyone and nestled in the far corner.

Solihull continued to threaten especially with set-pieces, and Krystian Pearce climbed highest to meet a return ball in, after a free-kick was half cleared, and looped a brilliant header over keeper Mark Howard.

The Birmingham based club got their third of the game. Gleeson scoring from the spot again with 10 minutes remaining.

Kevin van Veen gave them a late scare, scoring in the 84th minute to make it 3-2, however Solihull held on for the surprise but deserved to win.

Torquay United could have knocked out an EFL club in Crawley Town, but messed it up many a time.

A classic counter was expertly rounded off by forward Aaron Nemane to put Torquay 1-0 on the 18th minute. The Gulls doubled their lead six minutes later when Ben Whitfield hit a lowly ball past Crawley keeper Thomas McGill.

Crawley fought on back through Tom Nichols who found the net from the spot for his fifth of the season. That was in the 84th minute, however around another 15 minutes was added on following Thomas McGill’s injury.

Then in the 14th minute of that injury time, Nichols was there again, scooping over the on-rushing goalkeeper to equalise for Crawley.

18 minutes into injury time and Torquay went straight up the other end, Josh Umerah then put United back in front.

An extraordinary ending of normal time, if you want to call it that saw a late free-kick is taken short and Crawley broke upfield. Josh Doherty squared it to Jordan Tunnicliffe who tapped into an open net to take it to extra time.

Torquay got back in front halfway through the first half of extra time, Asa Hall scoring his penalty to make it 4-3.

The goals didn’t stop there believe it or not. Torquay added a fifth with Hall scoring, though Crawley continued to make it a tense finish, getting their fourth from Nichols with minutes remaining. 5-4 by this point.

Torquay let slip of their two-goal lead again, Nichol making it 5-5 in what had to be one of the best most entertaining games of English football in a while.

A hit on the break from Crawley in injury time of extra time and John Yems’ side made it 6-5. Nichols played a superb pass to find Ash who hit the ball home and secure the win.

Another cupset came at the Hive Stadium, with Peter Beadle’s Barnet pulling off a 1-0 win over League One side Burton Albion.

In the 10th minute, Michael Petrasso showed some great footwork to pick out midfielder Wesley Fonguck, who still had plenty to do from 20 yards out, though he produced a superb finish to find the top corner.

Barnet had to play the whole of the second half with 10 men. Matt Preston’s header was met by Burton’s on-loan Wolves youngster Niall Ennis who was was about to race clear. Preston then hauled him back and was giving his marching orders.

Southern League Premier Division South side Hayes and Yeading went one up against Carlisle in extra time. Omar Rowe burst through, eventually got the ball back and calmly put it in the net.

Amos Nasha made it 2-0 with roughly 10 minutes left of the game, smashing a long range effort into the bottom corner. The Cumbrian outfit got one back thanks to Jonathan Mellish, and then went and completed Carlisle’s comeback two minutes later to take the game to penalties, which the League Two side won 4-3.

Chorley came back from two down to win 3-2 in extra time. Garner and James put the Latics 2-0 up after 34 minutes.

But the half time chat for the Magpies really must have been something with the National League North side scoring three times through Newby (48′), Cardwell (60′) and Hall (92′) to seal yet another cupset in this season’s FA Cup.


Barnet (1) 1-0 (0) Burton Albion
Eastbourne Borough 0-3 Blackpool
Eastleigh (0) 0-0 (0) Milton Keynes Dons (3-4 pens)
Hampton & Richmond Borough (1) 2-3 (2) Oldham Athletic
Havant & Waterlooville (1) 1-0 (0) Cray Valley PM
Hayes & Yeading United (0) 2-2 (0) Carlisle United (3-4 pens)
Maldon & Tiptree (0) 0-1 (1) Morecambe
Scunthorpe United (1) 2-3 (1) Solihull Moors
Torquay United (2) 5-6 (0) Crawley Town
Wigan Athletic (2) 2-3 (0) Chorley

There were plenty more upsets produced in the FA Cup First Round, find all those out and the other results by clicking HERE.

Let us know which FA Cup First Round upsets shocked you the most!

We also have the ball numbers ready for the FA Cup Second Round draw, check them out by clicking HERE.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in English Football League