fbpx
Connect with us

English Football League

Matlock Town sign ex-EFL player turned non league journeyman aged 33

Matlock Town sign ex-EFL player turned non league journeyman Reece Styche, who now finds himself at his 20th club at the age of 33.

The Gibraltar international commits with the seventh tier outfit, who are only just still in the race for a place in the Northern Premier League – Premier Division playoffs.

Matlock sit 8th with 52 points from 35 games played. They are six points from the playoffs, but teams above them have games in hand however.

CLUB STATEMENT:

Matlock Town have added an international striker to their squad with the signing of Reece Styche from Southern League Premier Central outfit Stourbridge.

The 33 year old plays up front for Gibraltar and he is known as Brutus by fans of the national side, the nickname having been given to him by coach Julio Cesar for his physical approach. In 30 internationals, Styche has netted three times.

Between 2006 and 2009 he was at a number of Midlands based clubs after starting out at Hednesford Town. In 2010 he began a four years spell in the National League with Forest Green Rovers scoring twice on his debut as a substitute at Hayes and Yeading. He would make 107 appearances for the Gloucestershire side scoring 35 times.

In 2014 Styche moved to National League rivals Kidderminster Harriers scoring six goals in 36 matches and after some loan moves he joined Macclesfield Town. After a move to Gateshead Styche played at Tamworth, Darlington and Alfreton Town where he averaged one goal in every two games

During the last four years he also had a spell at Buxton before he moved back to Hednesford and then Stourbridge where he has hit 19 goals in 53 appearances.

Gladiators boss Martin Carruthers says Styche fits the bill in the type of attacker he has been looking to bring to the Proctor Cars Stadium.

“Reece will be a fantastic addition to our squad, He’s exactly the type of striker we’ve been looking for since we arrived in December. A big, powerful striker who will add another dimension to our play, he’s proven and experienced at our level and above and to boot, a Gibraltan international!. He’s also a great lad and will be great around the dressing room.”

Carruthers believes that adding Styche to the Gladiators ranks is a positive move as Matlock still aim for a play-off spot despite dropping valuable points in recent matches.

“It’s another signing of intent and it shows our ambition to get into the play-offs and I’m sure our fans will give him a warm welcome.”

Styche should make his debut in Saturday’s trip to Marske United subject to approval by the NPL and the Football Association.

Ian Ricardson

STYCHE’S CAREER:

2006–2008 – Hednesford Town – 7 games (2 goals)
2008 → Bromsgrove Rovers (loan) – 3 games (1 goal)
2008–2009 – Grantham Town – 6 games (2 goals)
2009 – Coalville Town – 12 games (1 goal)
2009 – Shepshed Dynamo – 7 games (1 goal)
2009–2010 – Chasetown – 13 games (10 goals)
2010–2014 – Forest Green Rovers – 107 games (35 goals)
2014 → Wycombe Wanderers (loan) – 14 games (0 goals)
2014–2016 – Kidderminster Harriers – 36 games (6 goals)
2014 → Tamworth (loan) – 5 games (2 goals)
2015 → Tamworth (loan) – 15 games (4 goals)
2015–2016 → Macclesfield Town (loan) – 3 games (0 goals)
2016 – Macclesfield Town – 12 games (4 goals)
2016–2017 – Gateshead – 17 games (2 goals)
2016–2017 → Nuneaton Town (loan) – 5 games (1 goal)
2017 – Tamworth – 27 games (13 goals)
2017–2018 – Darlington – 31 games (16 goals)
2018–2019 – Alfreton Town – 22 games (11 goals)
2019–2020 – Hereford – 22 games (3 goals)
2020 – Bromsgrove Sporting – 1 game (0 goals)
2020–2021 – Buxton – 7 games (1 goal)
2021 – Hednesford Town – 6 games (1 goal)
2021–2023 – Stourbridge – 53 games (19 goals)
2023– Matlock Town

International career
2011 – England C – 1 game (0 goals)
2014– Gibraltar – 30 games (3 goals)

This is how fans reacted as Matlock Town sign the ex-EFL player turned non league journeyman aged 33…

@CesarRo09326532: Good player in NL when under Askey at Macc, was wondering where he was and whether still playing, puts himself about.

@RogRichards: Likes a red card!

@richardnoall: And injuries. No spring chicken.

@Phleeper: Blast from the past. I can remember him playing for Shepshed in 2009.

@LiamHenton: 😂😂 Comedy gold this!

@CombertonVetsFC: Ring us in 2 years mate

@Mossi28: Unreal last season but never been quite right since the red cards earlier in the season, wish him all the best

@JDHWOLVES: Unplayable on his day, has been a brilliant player in his time here too. All the best Reece 👍🏻👍🏻

@richardnoall: Wish him the best but disagree with many comments on here. Too many red cards, lots of dives, lots of injuries lately and not enough goals when playing. Yes we urgently need a focused striker playing alongside Cowley now but we have for a long time.

@Jockyfox: Good decision for both parties 👍🏼

@KeithBurson: Will be missed…… good luck Reece

@smithy1805: All the best Reece

@bekhowell41: Good luck Stychey 👊🏻