Hereford

Hereford player reveals he couldn’t see for 10 to 12 minutes

Hereford player Luke Haines reveals he couldn’t see for 10 to 12 minutes following an incident from earlier in the 2021/22 season.

The 21 year old spoke about enduring what was a scaring moment at the time, which saw him lose his vision, causing him to panic after a clash of heads.

The accident happened at Edgar Street when Hereford drew 1-1 with Leamington in September, with Haines having to be carried off the pitch on a stretcher and taken to hospital.

Luke Haines receives attention in the first half. Picture: Steve Niblett/Hereford FC

Hereford player reveals he couldn’t see for 10 to 12 minutes (Picture: Steve Niblett/Hereford FC)

“I was a scary time,” said Haines after making his return after the concussion injury at Alfreton Town.

“They took me to hospital as they were worried about my neck and having pain in my neck.

“It was scary because I lost my vision for 10 to 12 minutes. It was complete blackness which was a worrying time.

“I was worried whether it was going to come back. After the first 30 seconds you just think I’m dizzy but when it gets to five or six minutes you do start to panic.

“One thing I do remember is the amazing reception I received coming off the pitch by the fans.”

Haines joined Hereford permanently in the summer after a successful loan spell from League Two outfit Swindon Town.

The defensive midfielder, who can also play centre-half, made his return to the Bulls side as an unlikely striker and scored a late equaliser at Alfreton Town.

“It’s always good to get on the scoresheet and help get the result we needed in the end,” added Haines, via HerefordTimes.

“I think the knock on the head made me find where the net is, it’s not often you find me in the box to be fair.

“The gaffer and Yan (Klukowski) said to me ‘you are going on up front, just go and cause problems’.

“The first thing that was knocked down to me was the goal. They wanted me to offer something different up front with an aerial presence and being a bit of an ugly centre-forward.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better welcome back. I haven’t scored for Hereford my whole time here, get put on up front and score within seconds.”

After scoring four goals in eight league games, Hereford netted three times at Alfreton, but defensive errors let them down.

“We do analysis on the teams and knew what they were going to do today,” added Haines.

“It’s three goals that we should keep out really. It’s a team effort and comes from up top all the way to the back.

“There is nobody individually at fault but we need to cut out those individual mistakes and we’ll be fine. It’s that final turn of the screw.”

Haines wrote on Twitter back in September: “Would just like to thank the club physio Aaron and the paramedics and other staff pitch side for the quick treatment I received, all very blurry and scary what happened but I do remember the incredible reception I received leaving the field.”

Luke’s parent tweeted too: “@FraserHaines1 Myself and my wife would like to thank Hereford FC for the tremendous support they gave to both of us as Lukes parents and also the superb medical attention the club gave our son today. Also a massive thank you to our wonderful NHS. Hereford are a great club with great support”

Fans reacted as the Hereford player reveals he couldn’t see for 10 to 12 minutes…

@JoePrinzi: Glad to hear you’re okay 👍

@SimonRLawrence1: At least we know there’s no brain damage 😉 Get better @LukeHaines9 Love ya my guy

@Richard51915054: Glad to hear it, speedy recovery Luke, terrible team of thugs, ref needs to take some of the blame for this allowing them to get away with it.

Meanwhile, Hereford manager Josh Gowling says the club ‘will not tolerate’ racism after an alleged incident during the Alfreton Town match.

An incident was alleged to have happened during the National League North game although it is unclear what was said or from which set of fans.

A tannoy announcement was made at half time, saying: “A racist comment has been reported. If this continues the authorities will be involved.”

When asked about the incident, Gowling said: “I spoke to a police officer because I wanted to know what had gone on.

“If it is our fans we have got black players on our team. We won’t stand for that. If that is what the case is then I want to know who it is and we will ban them for life because we will not tolerate that behaviour at this football club.”

This was something that has confused fans as they claim to have not heard anything during the game, only knowing of the incident because of what was said on the tannoy.

More in Hereford