More matches postponed due to impact of storm leaving grounds wrecked

The latest Premier League and EFL games to be postponed due to Covid have been revealed and we list which matches are also at risk.

The festive period is coming thick and fast for English football, however a major rise in cases is starting to wreak havoc with games this week getting called off.

Clubs are starting to report more positive tests and in some cases that is now having a impact on the amount of players available to take to the field on a matchday.

POSTPONEMENTS LIST:

Brentford vs Man Utd – Tuesday December 14, Premier League
Burnley vs Watford – Wednesday December 15, Premier League
Leicester vs Tottenham – Thursday December 16, Premier League
Man Utd vs Brighton – Saturday December 18, Premier League
Southampton vs Brentford – Saturday December 18, Premier League
Watford vs Crystal Palace – Saturday December 18, Premier League
West Ham vs Norwich – Saturday December 18, Premier League
Aston Villa vs Burnley – Saturday December 18, Premier League
Everton vs Leicester – Sunday December 19, Premier League
Tottenham vs Rennes – Thursday December 9, Europa Conference League
Sheffield Utd vs QPR – Monday December 13, Championship
Man City Women vs Leicester City Women – Wednesday December 15, League Cup
Cardiff vs Derby – Saturday December 18, Championship
QPR vs Swansea – Saturday December 18, Championship
Reading vs Luton – Saturday December 18, Championship
Millwall vs Preston – Saturday December 18, Championship
Coventry City vs Stoke City – Saturday December 18, Championship
AFC Wimbledon vs Portsmouth – Saturday December 18, League One
Bolton Wanderers vs Wycombe Wanderers – Saturday December 18, League One
Burton Albion vs MK Dons – Saturday December 18, League One
Gillingham vs Crewe – Saturday December 18, League One
Lincoln City vs Doncaster Rovers – Saturday December 18, League One
Sheffield Wednesday vs Accrington – Saturday December 18, League One
Carlisle vs Bradford – Saturday December 18, League Two
Colchester vs Hartlepool – Saturday December 18, League Two
Crawley vs Oldham – Saturday December 18, League Two
Forest Green vs Mansfield Town – Saturday December 18, League Two
Northampton Town vs Barrow – Saturday December 18, League Two
Port Vale v Exeter City – Saturday December 18, League Two
Scunthorpe vs Bristol Rovers – Saturday December 18, League Two
Swindon Town v Walsall – Saturday December 18, League Two
Chelsea Women vs West Ham Women – Sunday December 19, Women’s Super League
Man City Women vs Reading Women – Sunday December 19, Women’s Super League
Forest Green vs Colchester – Tuesday December 21 – League Two

REQUEST REJECTED:

Brighton vs Wolves
Leicester v Tottenham (initial request, now postponed)

Since the arrival of Omicron, a number of clubs up and down the country have reported outbreaks of the virus.

Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston says being vaccinated against Covid-19 is the “socially responsible thing to do” after the EFL announced one in four of its players currently had no intention of getting even one jab.

The league said on Thursday it was stepping up its Covid-19 protocols as cases nationwide skyrocket amid the emergence of the Omicron variant of the virus, and by 3pm on Friday, 19 matches across its three divisions had been postponed due to coronavirus infections.

“I recognise that some people can’t get vaccinated, but we all need to encourage those who aren’t vaccinated to overcome their reluctance,” the minister said.

“The facts speak for themselves. The overwhelming majority of those seriously ill from Covid in hospital are unvaccinated.

“The most important thing anyone – including footballers – can do to protect themselves, co-workers and loved ones is to get vaccinated and get a booster. Getting the jab is the socially responsible thing to do.

“Many footballers and sports stars have used their profile and social media to encourage people to get vaccinated. I am very grateful to them. They can reach people that ministers can’t.”

The Premier League earlier said it intends to “continue its current fixture schedule where safely possible”, and that has not changed despite the additional postponements.

Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol: “The Premier League will postpone fixtures if there is a problem and people’s safety is going to be affected.

“There are still five Premier League games on this weekend, and as things stand the plan is for those games to go ahead.”

EFL chairman Rick Parry has not ruled out a circuit breaker in the Championship, League One, and League Two.

He says that while a potential break has been discussed by the EFL, it was decided that it would not have an impact this weekend.

“We have discussed it,” he told BBC programme Football Focus, when asked if the EFL would consider a break.

“We wondered whether a short, sharp circuit breaker this weekend would help, but frankly it wouldn’t.

“There is no scientific evidence to suggest it would help and if you look at the geographical spread, there are areas where clearly games can go ahead and areas where they can’t.

“The talk of the news is about another possible lockdown after Christmas, so that decision may be taken out of our hands, but we are getting more information and listening to the scientists, they need more data to try and work out where we are going with this new strain.

“It is too early to tell, frankly, next week we may be in a different position.

“If we think a circuit breaker will help, we will do it, but at the moment no scientific evidence suggests at this moment in time that it would help. But predicting the future at this point is almost impossible.

“We have got to stick together, we have got to stay calm and keep on making balanced decisions based on the very latest information available.”

Parry admits that the health of players, staff, and supporters is paramount.

He told BBC programme Football Focus: “It has been a difficult week and similar to the Premier League, we have seen a raft of postponements and a real escalation of cases over the last few days.

“It actually feels like quite an achievement to get 17 games away this weekend with everything that has been going on.

“It is a time for cool heads, keep calm and everybody pulling together. We have greater challenges than football at the moment, and as ever, health and welfare of players, staff, and spectators is the priority, but who knows what next week will look like?”

But Parry says that the EFL will continue to monitor the situation, adding that there is a need to keep calm and balanced.

However, he says that the EFL will continue to do all they can to get the season completed.

“We have introduced new criteria for clubs and what we are basically saying is if clubs have a squad of 14, including a goalkeeper, then games should go ahead,” he said.

“Clearly we are having to be very adaptable and we are consulting with clubs, because this is escalating all the time. Clearly the rates of infection have gone up dramatically and they are likely to go up again, so it is a case of taking it one day at a time and trying to keep calm, balanced, and doing our best to getting the season completed.”

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44