Dover Athletic

Dover Athletic release 15 first team squad members

Dover Athletic have decided to release 15 first team squad members as they prepared for what will be a tough 2021/22 season.

The Whites have offered new deals to two players whilst trigger extended contracts are announced for three of their footballer.

Fans were concerned over the Kent club’s future having recently been handed a £40,000 fine, given a significant points deduction and saw their 2020/21 results expunged.

An Independent Panel ruled that the National League outfit are deemed guilty of four breaches of Rule 8.39 for failing to meet fixture obligations between February 16th and February 27th.

DOVER CLUB STATEMENT:

Dover Athletic manager Andy Hessenthaler has today announced his retained and released list.

The following first-team players are out of contract and have left the club:

Yusif Mersin, Josh Passley, Will De Havilland, Jack Munns, Kurtis Cumberbatch, Paul Rooney, Joe Bedford, Oscar Gobern, Steven Rigg, Bilel Hinchiri, Ahkeem Rose, Omar Mussa, Marvel Expiteta, Louis Collins, Ade Azeez.

The following out-of-contract players have been offered new deals:

Sam Wood, Travis Gregory

The club has exercised an option to extend the following players contracts:

Josh Bexon, TJ Bramble, Marshall Wratten

Hessenthaler admitted making the decisions he had was always a difficult part of the job

“First and foremost I would like to thank each and every one of the players leaving the club for their efforts in what was an unprecedented season.

“I cannot speak highly enough of their attitudes and their commitment during what was an extremely difficult time for us a club.

“It is never an easy time for any manager, informing players they are being let go – it’s tough, but my job is to make these decisions however hard they might be.”

The club would like to place on record its thanks to those players who will not be with us going forward for their efforts and we wish each and every one of them every success in the future.

– STATEMENT ENDS –

A statement was issued two weeks ago by Dover, with Jim Parmenter winning a lot of praise for how he has dealt with the situation…

He said: “I would like to provide supporters and the many well-wishers who have contacted the club, with an update regarding our appeal against sanctions imposed by the National league and preparations for next season.

“For obvious reasons, I am unable to provide any detail around the substance of our appeal, which now looks unlikely to take place before mid-June but suffice to say we have appointed Queens Council to represent us at the hearing.

“I must pay tribute to and thank both Sean Gorman and Simon Tovey of the Outset Group Maidstone for their legal and practical advice, which quite frankly has been superb.

“It has been freely given, extremely thorough and without them, we could not have come this far and all our supporters should be extremely appreciative of what they have done for our club and we are as confident as we can be that we have a just and indisputable case.

“Our local MP Natalie Elphick is also on the case and I understand representations will be made at the Ministerial level as well as with Tracy Crouch’s inquiry into football governance.

“I am extremely heartened by all the messages of support from all over the country as well as the football media’s vocal support.

“I would also like to thank from the bottom of my heart all those people from far and wide who have contributed to the JustGiving page that has been set up by one of our fans.

“With regard to next season, Hess (Andy Hessenthaler) will continue as Manager and obviously, we will be starting in a compromised position (regardless of the appeal outcome.

Fans reacted after seeing Dover Athletic release 15 first team squad members, see what they had to say…

@bigbaz88: Damn.. 😢, well let’s see what the rebuild is like

@tastysausage20: Not surprising given the financial circumstances. Next year is simply going to be a matter of how much of a hiding we get. Roll on the 2022/23 season…! COYW!

@YorkshireGlover: So the Club that quit the League to save money, has wasted no time in sending more than half the squad their P45s. @gloverscast are they trying to steal a march on recruiting for next season?

@clivechip: Looks like we’ll be joining a five-a-side league next season 😉

@Charlie_Brown42: The rebuild begins

Pete Yarwood: I’ll get some new boots. Needs must and all that

Kevin Friend: Well we have 3 players on contract and 2 maybes it’s more than two thought Hess would have left at this point 🤔

Martin Mickey Pearce: Good luck lads, we will still be behind you even if it’s my old man ending up in nets. COYW

Bill Hollow: Not looking good fingers crossed for some players that are good enough to keep us up

More in Dover Athletic