Chaos as Nottingham Forest owner storms onto pitch after Nunez’s 99th minute winner

Chaos at the City Ground come full time as Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis storms onto the pitch after Nunez’s 99th minute winner.

In what could be the biggest moment of Liverpool’s season and their race for the title, Nunez snatched all three points right at the end of the game.

Tsimikas’ initial shot had been blocked and Forest had a chance to clear, but failed, to which Mac Allister won the ball back, turned and crossed, with Nunez heading the ball into the back of the net sparking crazy scenes in the away end.

But Nottingham Forest were reeling, with yellow cards dished out as the Forest backroom staff argue with the referee, leading to Steven Reid being shown a red card.

Ian Dennis (BBC Radio 5 Live senior football reporter): “At the end referee Paul Tierney was surrounded by Nottingham Forest’s coaching staff. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was action taken after the game, it is a hammer blow for Nottingham Forest.”

Nottingham Forest referee analyst Mark Clattenburg criticised the officiating in the build-up to Liverpool’s late winner.

Clattenburg said: “What we will be doing is speaking to the PGMOL, with my relationships that I have with the PGMOL and the Premier League, and we will discuss what happened on the field of play today, and we will look at the course of action in the future.

“Under the laws of the game, the team that has possession when he blows the whistle to stop the game – he is entitled to stop the game because it is a potential head injury – but whoever has the possession, the ball goes back to that team and the other team retreat one metre,” said Clattenburg.

“They changed the law because they did not want a contested drop ball. So, years ago when we had contested drop balls, players used to swing legs and people could get injured so I understand the law change. But the laws state that certainly if the ball is outside of the penalty area and you have possession of the ball, you get possession back.

“In that crucial moment, Nottingham Forest have got the ball in the corner so they can absorb the time, see the time out to get the result, 0-0. The ball has gone back to Liverpool and they have won a corner. People can say they could have cleared their lines but from that initial moment players can lose concentration because they feel there has been an injustice.”

Clattenburg said that he will be speaking to the Forest hierarchy about the matter. “I will sit down with the board and the owners to explain what has happened. It is difficult to explain it.” But there has been no dialogue with Tierney himself. “No, I went to go into the dressing room but he would not let us in.”

Player ratings (per Sky Sports)

Nottingham Forest: Sels (7), Williams (7), Omobamidele (7), Murillo (7), Toffolo (7), Dominguez (7), Yates (7), Hudson-Odoi (6), Gibbs-White (6), Elanga (6), Origi (6).

Subs: Awoniyi (5), Danilo (n/a).

Liverpool: Kelleher (7), Gomez (6), Konate (6), Van Dijk (7), Robertson (6), Bradley (6), Clark (6), Mac Allister (7), Elliott (6), Diaz (7), Gakpo (6).

Subs: Nunez (7), Endo (6), Szoboszlai (6), Tsimikas (n/a), Danns (n/a).

Player of the match: Darwin Nunez.

Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister: “This is such a special day for us. To win it like that is not easy. We came to a tough place.

“In that moment I knew it was last minute and I just had to put it in. Darwin is such an important player for us.

“There is no easy game in the Premier League. Very happy, very happy. It’s three points. We move onto Thursday.

“We were always positive. Our leaders were keeping the team very positive. We’re a good group, nice players on and off the pitch.”

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to Sky Sports: “Most difficult game we played because of the circumstances. Four games in 11 days is really tricky with the squad situation we have.

“It was super special. You could see it didn’t go easy for us today in any part of the game. It’s so hard. How we have four wins, I can’t believe.

“Incredible assist in the very last second. Wonderful feeling. I’m really happy.

“I can’t ask for more than what the boys are doing.

“Next Sunday would be a massive game anyway. Before that we play a difficult game in Prague. We have to keep going, recover.”

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to BBC Sport: “Pretty special afternoon. It’s been a tricky schedule.

“This game didn’t go easy for us. We didn’t have a great rhythm and the boys felt the intensity for the first time.

“We had our moments. We didn’t start well.

“In the last second the guy who looks like a former Liverpool player thought I’ll score a goal and decide the game.

“The goal was set up by a guy who was the calmest on the whole pitch. I saw it only live but I’ll never forget it. He was calm. He chips the ball there. Super assist and super important goal.

“If you’d told me 12 days ago we would win all four games I would have said no chance, it was impossible. In the circumstances winning the games is ridiculous.

“We will recharge until the next game. It’s pretty special what the boys did. To get to that points tally was a big fight. It never was easy.”

Nuno Espirito Santo, the Forest head coach, refused to be drawn on the subject, saying: “I will not comment on the referee.

“Please don’t insist on that, it will not be good. It will be a discussion point, for sure, in the week. I hope the decisions will be better.”

On the result: “It is tough to take, I am proud of the boys. They did everything well until the last moment.

“We played a very good game, limited Liverpool, a fantastic team. They had chances, we had chances, it was good game of football. We had clear chances and should improve. We played good but the team that are clinical get the advantage in the score.

“Our fans deserve to go home happy and they are not.”

Fans reacted to chaos as the Nottingham Forest owner storms onto the pitch after Nunez’s 99th minute winner…

@SagaciousFellow:
We had the ball following a corner.
Konate fakes a head injury.
Ref stops play ASAP of course.
Liverpool don’t give us ball back.
Go and score.
Play shouldn’t have been stopped.
They should’ve given the ball back.
All the added time came from VAR checks and cus they were losing.

@Sargy7: Seems like the officials have made some decisions that have angered Forest and rather than address them, Mike Dean is talking about it a Chairman should be on the pitch. What do you pay him for?

@SteveSulley1: The standard of refereeing is abysmal in the PL …. #nffc the big 6 get away with everything

@dwmanison: There was 8 minutes added for on and they scored in the 90+9 😂

@clarkey15:
THE CITY GROUND IS FALLING DOWN 👏 👏 👏
MARINAKIS THE BIG FAT CLOWN 👏 👏 👏
THE FAs GOT YOU ALL IN TEARS👏 👏 👏
DERBY BOYS WERE ON THE BEERS 👏 👏 👏
#dcfc

@jambags: Chairman on the pitch etc…bit OTT…. They timewasted all game, there was a 6 minute injury to their keeper that probably only needed 3! The injury time was indicated at 8 minutes, we scored 40 seconds after that….. in those 8 minutes 2 of their players got booked for timewasting

@MayowaQuadri_: If you know why this is funny, then hold tight you. But this is very funny. I can’t tell you why but if you know 😭😂😂😂

@MarcTwaite: He’s pissed off at the Officiating in the Premier League I don’t blame him he’s invested a lot of money into the Club!! All he wants like us Fans is Fairness & Transparency the Top 6 get away with way to much it’s clearly obvious #nffc

@stuafc71: Wait. So Liverpool didn’t give the ball back when “sporting” would have been the thing to do. Well well well

@AlexJacklin4: Easily the angriest I’ve been after a football game. How can referees influence a game like that. #NFFC

@_peterlawson:
So, let me get this straight…
– Forest corner
– CHO has possession on the edge of the box
– Konate fakes a head injury
– Ref gives ball to Liverpool GK
– Liverpool immediately go down the other end and get a corner
– Liverpool score last minute winner
Joke of a league #NFFC

@ChrisFarnswor10: Premier league and refereeing Corruption at its finest #NFFC. Surely we cant get a points deduction, the referees have already done us over this season.

@_SamMarriott: Genuinely so done with the Premier League. So many games have been ruined by the ineptitude of VAR and lack of basic referee competency. Can’t enjoy this sport anymore, it’s completely rotten #NFFC

@cosmo_nffc: That is absolutely fucking disgraceful. Corner in the 97th minute. Comes to cho on the edge, konate falls over and gets given the ball. then they go and score. Fucking shit from top to bottom. #NFFC

@Debs90181034: I’m done with this league. We aren’t the first team to say that everything goes for the top 6. Don’t want to go down but at least it’s not so obviously corrupt on that league. Football now is 🤮 #NFFC

@mistrollingpod: Can’t help but have an overwhelming feeling of whats the point 😩🤷‍♂️ It’s heartbreaking. We deserved so much more than that, in terms of the both the result & officiating. Footballs losing it’s charm for me. #NFFC

@aryan86: #nffc should we have cleared it? Yes, of course. But should they have had the ball? No. Apply the rules and we have possession. Sick to death of these absolutely useless officials. We don’t help ourselves but we are getting shafted repeatedly.

@danjohns1985: PGMOL HAS to look at teams’ persistent exploitation of the head injury rules. Time and again players are going down feigning head injuries at critical points of the game and then miraculously jumping to their feet once the game has been halted. Outright cheating. #NFFC