Burton Albion

Burton Albion appoint 36 year old former EFL player turned coach as their new manager

Burton Albion have decided to appoint 36 year old former EFL player turned coach Martin Paterson as their new first team manager.

He left Swansea City back in December 2023 after the dismissal of then manager Michael Duff, and now takes over at the Brewers, who currently sit 17th in League One with 28 points from 26 games played, five points above the drop zone, with all teams below (apart from 23rd place Carlisle) them having a game or two in hand.

Paterson comes in to replace the sacked Dino Maamria after the Brewers lost for the fifth time in a six-game winless run in the third tier.

BURTON STATEMENT:

MARTIN Paterson has been appointed as the new manager of Burton Albion FC.

The former Burnley and Northern Ireland striker enjoyed coaching experience in America before joining Head Coach Micheal Duff as his assistant at first Barnsley in League One and then Swansea City in the Championship.

He was born in Staffordshire and began his career at Stoke City.

Paterson will work with the current backroom staff at the Pirelli Stadium which includes Gary Mills who has been acting as caretaker manager since Dino Maamria left the club on December 9.

Burton Albion Chairman Ben Robinson said: “We are delighted that Martin Paterson has agreed to join the football club. He brings great experience as a player and as a coach and we believe he’s the right candidate to become our new manager.

“We were impressed with Martin’s vision for the future and his understanding of what we are all about as a football club and at 36, we see the same abilities and potential that we have successfully recognised when we appointed Neil Warnock, Nigel Clough and Gary Rowett as young managers.

“I want to thank Gary Mills and the rest of the backroom staff for looking after first team affairs for the last month and I’m sure they will continue to play valuable roles in supporting Martin as we go forward.

“The priority now is on making sure we secure our League One status and then start building for the future of Burton Albion and I hope our fans will be as excited as we are about the appointment and will give Martin a great welcome and their full support.”

Martin Paterson said: “I am honoured to be appointed manager at Burton Albion FC. I am excited to join this club and I am fully aware of the passionate fan base having been born and raised in Staffordshire.

“I have developed my coaching over several years and have extensive experience of being an assistant coach at first team level most recently at Inter Miami, Barnsley and Swansea. I am ready to take this step and make the natural transition to manager.

“I relish the opportunity to work hard and want to have a team that fights for the badge and excites us all.

“My staff and I will work hard to implement a framework and freedom to win games of football for the club and its community.

“I know I have been brought in with a short-term objective to ensure League One survival and I will do everything I can to achieve this.”

Gary Mills said: “I want to welcome Martin to Burton Albion and say how much I’m looking forward to working with him.

“I also want to thank the Chairman for the privilege and opportunity to look after the first team since December 9 and to be able to start the process of negotiating the ins and outs during the transfer window.

“It has been an honour for me to be caretaker manager of this football club and I’m now relishing the chance to work with Martin and continue giving my full support to Burton Albion.”

PATERSON’S CAREER:

Youth career
1998–2005 – Stoke City

Senior career
2005–2007 – Stoke City – 16 games (1 goal)
2006–2007 → Grimsby Town (loan) – 15 games (6 goals)
2007–2008 – Scunthorpe United – 42 games (14 goals)
2008–2013 – Burnley – 151 games (37 goals)
2013–2015 – Huddersfield Town – 29 games (6 goals)
2014 → Bristol City (loan) – 8 games (1 goal)
2014 → Fleetwood Town (loan) – 3 games (0 goals)
2015 → Orlando City (loan) – 3 games (0 goals)
2015 – Orlando City – 1 game (0 goals)
2015–2016 – Blackpool – 19 games (0 goals)
2016 – Port Vale – 18 games (2 goals)
2017 – Tampa Bay Rowdies – 29 games (10 goals)
2018 – ATK – 5 games (1 goal)
Total – 339 games (78 goals)

International career
2007 – Northern Ireland U21 – 2 games (0 goals)
2007–2014 – Northern Ireland – 22 games (3 goals)

Here’s how fans reacted as Burton Albion appoint 36 year old former EFL player turned coach as their new manager…

@_DanTate: Can only get behind him, young managers tend to bring good, refreshing football to watch

@ben_boocock: Welcome! Hopefully someone for the long-term to bring some stability and identity. I get people will be unhappy being unproven, but at least he’ll be something for the long-term, so will have my full support as always. Guessing he’s had some input to the future transfers too 💛🖤

@dylzyy1: So another assistant manager???

@George_Brewers: Give the bloke a chance

@TomElliottBAFC: Random and people will say uninspiring but I’m glad we have someone in. We need to give him a chance and I remember Pompey fans moaning when they appointed Mous and look how that’s turned out. Good luck Martin 💛🖤

@luketaylorBAFC: Give the bloke a chance Jesus 🤦‍♂️ Rowett was a assistant too remember

@MB18Brewer: Ben is renowned for giving new upcoming managers a chance. Im all for it. Up the Brewers 💛

@HermanLJS: An interesting appointment but good to now have clarity moving forwards. Hope everyone gets behind him and gives him a fair chance, welcome Martin! #bafc

@Bradley123452: Maybe not the ‘experienced’ manager we all wanted but we have to back him now. Done very well as an assistant recently so time will tell if he can make the step up. No better way than starting things off with a win on Monday either👀 up the brewers 🟡⚫️ #bafc

@ollief3rn: Gotta get behind him and the lads, big task on Monday up the brewers

@AJayS319: Didnt see it coming but Welcome, Martin. Here’s to hoping you can do the job justice.

@danny_turner17: Didn’t see this coming but it’s time to get behind him now and focus on staying up, big test starting Monday #bafc

@Rob_BAFC: First off I don’t particularly have an issue with this appointment on face value. Someone being part of Michael Duff’s setup and trusted at a young age with that responsibility is, to me, a good sign. But, once again, not having a full new staff coming in is disappointing. I think a young hungry manager is a good thing and something I’d like our club to be associated with again. Forward, progressive, thinking. However, retaining the same staff that have worked with those players and within a hat structure for the last few years … feels like a missed opportunity. Being an assistant previously he won’t automatically arrive with an established staff in mint and maybe that’ll change in the coming months and summer. But, for right now, this kind of feels like a missed opportunity. I am fully behind the guy though and am excited to see what he can bring to us in the coming weeks and beyond.

@JoeCos93: Crikey – 5 points off the drop zone and they appoint a first time manager who has less than 18 months coaching experience in English football 😳

@markwighty6: There’s out the blue and then there’s this.. 😳 Martin Paterson’s Yellow Army! 💛 #bafc 🍻

@jackyp97: Don’t think anyone saw this coming. Seems a very big risk for Ben to take but hopefully starts to turn things round

@sharpaay_: Like it or not he’s our new gaffer. Let’s get behind him and at least give him a chance