10th tier club announce decision to withdraw from their league with immediate effect

10th tier club Brandon United have sadly taken to announce their decision to withdraw from their league with immediate effect.

The County Durham based side had been members of the Northern League Division Two, of which they finished 10th last season and this season were bottom (21st), taking 7 points from 19 games played, winning 2, drawing 1, losing 16, scoring 8 and conceding 88.

Now it seems the club are calling it a day, leaving fans within the non league community as well as groundhoppers saddened by the announcement.

Brandon United issued a statement via social media: “The Trustees of Brandon United FC can confirm that we have, withdrawn from the Northern League Division 2 with immediate effect.

“We are unable to fulfil any remaining fixtures and after taking advice both financially and from a football perspective we are unable to continue as we had hoped.”

The Northern League said: “Brandon United has contacted the league to inform us that they have been put into administration.

“However, we will be holding further discussions with the club to clarify the situation as far as their participation in the league is concerned.

“In the meantime, their fixtures will be suspended until after December 23.”

Credit – NonLeagueMatters

Dean Johnson, who has been associated with Brandon United, took issue with what some of the comments said on the club’s Facebook page: “A LOT has been made about there being no one from Brandon involved – but where have you been? I’m not from Brandon and yet I’ve put 17 years into the club. I can’t say as I’ve seen that many people helping out of the years. But now that we’re gone – everyone is coming out of the woodwork with their two penneth!!!

“I have followed Brandon United all over the northeast and beyond, seen countless players come and go and bought into every new managers ambitions. I have collected and donated thousands of pounds over the years in sponsorship, compiled the match day programme, ran the tea hut, have been the stand in secretary and even turned out as a physio on a couple of occasions. There is literally my blood, sweat and tears in the stand from when we started to re-build the ground. But hey, I’m not from Brandon!!!

“This isn’t just a recent thing! The demise of the club started years ago – but apart from a few people here and there, there’s been very little support. I keep records of our games etc… and in that 17 years we have had a crowd of over 100 people barely 15 times. It’s demoralising when the away team bring more committee members with them than we have home support!!!

“I am not privy to all that has gone off behind the scenes – which I’m kind of glad about to be honest – but the club was sold a lie at the start of the season. Promises were made regarding finances that any club in the League would have jumped at. The club could not have foreseen what happened regarding this and the fact that this has been taken further shows just how much ‘we’ were duped.

“The club committee, matchday committee and what few volunteers we had, tried.

“It was always a struggle.

“A few locals will know who I am and the amount of effort I have put in over the years, and to them, THANK YOU for turning out for the club. I have, largely, enjoyed my time. COME ON BRANDON!!!”

Bill Fisher, who was a club stalwart and trustee: “Can’t believe what I am reading here. The Club first started having problems in 2005/6 and they continued for 17 years. What were you all doing during that time. Coming out of the woodwork now may well be too little too late. In my earlier post forgot to mention supporters and sponsors who were great but unfortunately we never had enough of them. 50 years of involvement and not from Brandon. A sad day for me, for all those who helped build the club from Rostrons in 1968 to Brandon United in 1972 and beyond. The first 35 years were unbelievable and the last 15 were extremely difficult. Many of those are now not with us now so won’t feel the pain but those of us still around will. There are too many to name but my thanks go to all those who served on the Committee, as Managers/Coaches and Players over the years. We didn’t do too bad as a little team from the pit village as we were once called.”

This is how others reacted with the 10th tier club taking to announce their decision to withdraw from their league with immediate effect…

@SpraggonRonnie: So sad to hear this. Visited your ground last season, and I will always remember the wonderful view of the countryside from the stand. Really hope you can bounce back next season at some level 🤞

@MichaelBarrass1: Good luck hope you can find some more volunteers

@Vikinghopper2: So sorry to hear this. All the best, hope you can return in some form next season

@nricho68: Gutted about this, loved my time at the club, getting to the 1st round of the FA Cup was amazing. Brilliant people @BrandonUnited

@18653andylister: I’m really sad to see this ~ I’m a Bishop supporter, but I know that there are some great lads at Brandon. Another lovely Northern League club down and out, while the premiershi* counts its billions. All the best lads.

@Chappy110171: Sad to hear. Hopefully get back one day.

@AndrewRidley14: Another good club gone hopefully they will return again good luck to everyone connected to the club

@maljames47: Sad sad news. All the very best from Dunston UTS F.C.

@paul_springett: Very sad to see. Seeing more and more clubs winding up. Economically it’s starting to show. That’s heartbreaking. Another proud club gone.

@AndrewG40389631: My 1st match age 6 was to see Brandon utd v Bradford city in the f.a Cup 3rd round played at Spennymoors ground such a shame they have had to withdraw from the northern league.

@durhampoolie: Shame, had a stint there for the youth team, and loved it! Back in the 80s. Hopefully something can happen 🙏 😌

@NormandeBruin: Not nice to hear, sad news which underlines the perilous state that many of the region’s non league clubs now find themselves in. Tough economic times & the NUFC factor, although great to see, is damaging the local scene no end. Hope Brandon can come again, bests to all!

@shotb83: A proper long standing Northern League Club, sorry to hear this. All the best.

@utdlee7: Gutting to hear this. I was at the welfare ground when Brandon hosted United in the late 80s…and was proud to have played for the club myself. Best of luck in regaining NL status as soon as possible.

@lynch_aka: Sad to hear this, really enjoyed my visit a couple of years back.

@timbogb: Shame there’s no trickle-down effect from the PL… a weeks salary from a Newcastle player would keep BU going!

@IggyPopBarker: Sad news this, love a visit to Brandon.

@moors_fan_tv: Such sad news for you all at Brandon. hope to see yous on the right track soon.