VIDEO: Steward hurt and 11 fans arrested as bottles, flares and seats thrown at Port Vale

Well we all knew this would in trouble as soon it was drawn out. Last night, Port Vale beat Stoke City Under 21s 4-0 in the Checkatrade Trophy but it was marred by ugly and chaotic scenes.

It has been reported that supporters threw ‘bottles, coins and lighters’ while seats were also ripped out at Vale Park with Staffordshire Police blaming a ‘significant section in away stand’ for the damage.

11 men, aged between 18 and 61, were arrested and one steward was hit by a seat thrown at him from the travelling fans.

Chief Superintendent Wayne Jones told the Stoke Sentinel: “We are taking this very seriously and I expect there to be more arrests in the coming days as we examine CCTV coverage and gather evidence of the crimes committed,” he said

“My officers have shown bravery and dedication tonight and the support from stewards and partners has been first class in ensuring that those intent on fighting each other were unable to do so.

“This kind of behaviour is not acceptable and I would like to reassure you that we will do all we can to bring those responsible to justice.”

Port Vale supporters’ club chairman Mark Porter told Stoke On Trent Live: “It was absolutely appalling. Some of the away fans clearly came simply to cause trouble. They were throwing bottles, lighters, coins, seats – you name it.

“Dozens of seats have been wrecked. They are an absolute disgrace to their club and should be banned.”

Vale player Luke Hannant celebrated his side’s third goal on the 43rd minute by having a cheeky drink from a bottle of beer that was thrown on to the pitch whilst his other teammates had coins also directed at them.

During half time, Stoke fans trashed the away stand toilets, causing plenty of damage and smashing windows.

The second half saw more trouble, as previously stated, flares, seats and bottles were again thrown.

One of the goalscorers, Tom Pope, posted prior to the game too…

Of course there was a huge amount of Twitter reaction to the trouble, majority saw the bad but also humorous side about the damage that was done from the Stoke fans, plus others were loving Luke Hannant’s celebration – take a look at what users are saying on the next page.