Truro fans have 250 mile round trip to watch ‘home’ games with new groundshare announced

Truro City fans have to make a 250 mile round trip if they want to watch their club’s ‘home’ games with new groundshare announced.

The club are to play their remaining home games this season at Taunton Town’s Wordsworth Drive following concerns over the pitch at Plymouth Parkway’s Bolitho Park, which is where a number of Truro’s Vanarama National League South fixtures have already been called off this season.

The 247 mile round trip will be 4 hours and 16 minutes long according to Google Maps. And as you can expect, while it is less travelling for away fans to do, it’s further for Truro fans to travel than it was for their previous groundshare at Plymouth Parkway.

TRURO STATEMENT:

Football’s Coming Home back to Truro, and back to Cornwall this summer for Truro City Football Club, but before it does, we must communicate an important update on home fixtures for the remainder of the current Vanarama National League South campaign.

As you are aware, unfortunately we have not been able to play a number of home fixtures at Bolitho Park this season. In the circumstances, we have made the decision to move our remaining home games this season away from Bolitho Park.

Truro City’s home games for the last months of the 23-24 campaign will take place at Wordsworth Drive, home of Taunton Town Football Club.

Our match against Eastbourne Borough will now take place this coming Saturday, February, 10, at Wordsworth Drive. The home fixture next Tuesday, February 13, against Dover Athletic will not take place on this date, and will be rescheduled to a date to be confirmed, later in the season.

This decision to move was not made lightly, and we recognise that in some ways it makes it even more difficult for our incredibly loyal supporters to be with us in our last matches outside Cornwall.

However, we consider that this temporary arrangement will help the club to best meet our remaining match day commitments for this season.

With such a momentous return home now confirmed for this summer, our time and energy away from the pitch is focused on making the imminent move to our brand-new facility at Langarth the best it can possibly be, for you, our fans, as well as for our players and staff.

The club would like to place on record our considerable thanks to the National League for their support since the takeover. We’d also like to thank Taunton Town, who have generously allowed us to see out our last few months in exile at their storied facility.

In the coming weeks, we will have more news to bring you regarding our return to Truro, but in the meantime, we are committed to finishing the season as strongly as possible and building for an incredibly bright future.

At home, in Truro, in Cornwall, where we belong.

TAUNTON STATEMENT:

Taunton Town FC can confirm that it has entered into a groundsharing agreement with fellow Vanarama National League South club Truro City for the remainder of the 2023-24 season. The arrangement will see the Cornish side, who have been playing their home games at Plymouth Parkway FC since the start of the 2021-22 campaign, stage their 12 remaining home fixtures at Wordsworth Drive before they prepare to move into their new stadium on the outskirts of Truro for next season.

This short-term agreement will facilitate Truro in fulfilling their home programme whilst also providing local football fans with the opportunity to sample more National League action, with the White Tigers still having to entertain the likes of Torquay United, Yeovil Town and Weymouth.

Taunton Chairman Kevin Sturmey remarked: ”Karl and I have spent a fair bit of time working with Rob at Truro City and we are pleased to help a fellow club who have also been hit badly by the weather this season. Of course, there comes some risk but at present the brilliant work from our Head Groundsman Rob Hake and his small team of volunteers means the pitch is starting to firm up, also helped by Lloyd Irish and his fellow Directors at Hydrotech installing a drain for which we are massively thankful. It doesn’t look as pretty as usual but it’s now a matter of getting games on as we plan to do a mini renovation around matches to get some seed and fertiliser in as well as hopefully an opportunity to get some sand in to the surface to aid drainage.

The Taunton public will now have an opportunity to see a lot more National League football if they don’t travel to away games. This arrangement will also help us financially as well as supporting our fantastic Food Village Vendors who provide an outstanding match day experience and of course it will further enhance our own bars. There will also be some big games where the away support will be much larger than normal!

While we are always stretched operationally Karl and I are committed to helping a fellow club who have had to deal with a number of issues recently and the Football Family always tries to help each other in times of need.

We look forward to working with the team at Truro City, this is probably one of the most unique short term arrangements seen in football but something we are proud to be part of.”

Truro’s first ‘home’ game at Wordsworth Drive will be this coming Saturday (10th February) when they host Eastbourne Borough.

Twitter users reacted as Truro fans have 250 mile round trip to watch ‘home’ games with a new groundshare announced…

@justafan1m: This makes no sense at all? 😂 Feel sorry for Truro fans

@Mciver904: No thanks to parkway who provided you with a facility that you abused?

@TomFinnie4: No thanks for @PlymouthPFC for housing the Club for the last 2 1/2 seasons 🤷🏻‍♂️

@AlDinAtlantic: Interested to see how the Taunton pitch takes another 20 (TWENTY) games in the next 10 weeks 😂😂

@daleskitt: A Cornish club playing their home games in Somerset?

@darrell_ben: Like us going to Coventry to play our home games. Gotta feel for them.

@PatBuckingham: Going from one ground that can’t deal with rain to another that is further away is mad to me.

@The_Goat_Gang: Our main take from this though, is that since the change in the media department, the handling/turn of phrase often used by the football club seems very out of touch. #FootballsComingHome should not accompany an article stating its moving further away, however temporarily

@Gidge25: #FootballsGettingFurtherFromHome, the state of Taunton’s pitch from pictures was awful, Honestly if this hearing doesn’t go the way we want it to in March about actually moving home we are in some serious bother

@LivoAaron: Was shocked to see Plymouth Parkway basically running Truro when we visited at the start of December. Is a crap situation to be in but it’s the consequence of selling your ground to LIDL.

@ProperFoot: With tonight’s statement they will be playing “home” games on the usually submerged @TauntonTownFC pitch 2hrs away,we have the glorious prospect of @TCFC_Official supporters moaning at their own club for late pitch inspections & postponements after travelling 😅 #gamesoff

@ytfcwattsy: Imagine being a Truro fan and seeing that tag at the end?! 😭😭

@liamhocking8: Ground sharing at Taunton for rest of the season is mental 🤣

@darthscrote: Just the twenty games to squeeze in on a pitch that has failed on so many occasions this season. Plus a 240 mile round trip to Taunton if you’re from Truro. This makes no sense whatsoever. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

@PlainoldDTwaine: Home games at Taunton….and the National League is allowing this to happen….extraordinary….

@Weather40297744: Like us moving from Huish Park to Wales…bloody miles.

@Petercridland1: Most of your team will feel at home but do feel sorry for the distance you have to travel for a home game hopefully a discount for Taunton season ticket holders which will boost attendance.

@JoeToonMad1: Surely there was a suitable stadium closer to Truro than Taunton’s stadium. Thats like a 250 mile round trip.

@gfarr92: Wish I knew this before I booked my trains and hotel to Plymouth…..

@TintagelOBFC: Come and play at Tintagel , our pitch is in better condition….. and about 90 miles closer 🙂