Clubs pay tribute as ex-Grimsby, Stoke, Barnsley, Northwich player dies age 49

Clubs and fans take to pay tribute as ex-Grimsby, Stoke, Barnsley, Northwich player Peter Handyside dies at the age of 49.

Peter Handyside had a successful career as a defender in the English Football League from 1992 to 2007, beginning his journey at Heston Rovers and was scouted by Grimsby Town, who signed him as a junior player. In 1992, he was promoted to the first team.

During his time at Grimsby, Handyside made more than 200 appearances in various competitions.

He was part of the team that achieved victory in the Football League Second Division play-offs and the Football League Trophy in the 1997-98 season.

After spending nine years at Blundell Park, Handyside moved to Stoke City in 2001, not only did he become the captain of the team but also helped them secure promotion from the Second Division, just as he had done with Grimsby.

In 2003, Handyside transferred to Barnsley, where he stayed for a year before transitioning to non-league football with Northwich Victoria.

In 2006, he joined Hucknall Town before ultimately retiring at the age of 33 at the end of the 2006-07 season.

Since retiring from professional football, he became a delivery driver for Gilberts Furniture on the Fenton Industrial Estate in Stoke on Trent.

He also spent several years living back in Dumfries, which is where he was born.

Grimsby Town said: Everyone at the football club is heartbroken to learn of the untimely passing of former player Peter Handyside.

Peter moved to Blundell Park from his native Scotland in 1990 and, after progressing through our youth system, he went on to feature over 200 times for the club between 1992 and 2001.

The classy defender was a regular in the Mariners backline throughout the 90s and was an integral part of Alan Buckley’s team that achieved a historic Wembley double in 1997-98.

Our thoughts are with Peter’s family at this sad time.

Once a Mariner, always a Mariner.

UTM

Stoke City wrote: “Stoke City is saddened to learn of the death of former Club captain Peter Handyside.

“Peter was a promotion winner with the Potters in 2002 before also helping preserve Championship status the following season.

“He featured on 88 occasions in red and white.

“The thoughts and condolences of everyone connected with the Club are with Peter’s family and friends at this difficult time.s”

Northwich Victoria tweeted: “We are devastated to bring you news of our former captain, Peter Handyside has passed away.

“Peter was a crucial part of our National League North winning side in the 05/06 season.

“Our thoughts are with his family & friends at this time.”

Barnsley said: “We are saddened to learn of the passing of former Reds captain Peter Handyside.

“Our thoughts as a Club are with Peter’s family and friends at this difficult time.

“#OnceARedAlwaysARed”

HIS CAREER:

Youth
1986–1989 – Heston Rovers
1989–1990 – Queen of the South
1990–1991 – Grimsby Town

Senior career
1992–2001 – Grimsby Town – 236 games (4 goals)
2001–2003 – Stoke City – 88 games (1 goal)
2003–2004 – Barnsley – 32 games (0 goals)
2004–2006 – Northwich Victoria – 30 games (0 goals)
2006–2007 – Hucknall Town
Total – 386 games (5 goals)

International
1993–1995 – Scotland U21 – 8 games (0 goals)

As mentioned, clubs and fans continue to pay tribute as the ex-Grimsby, Stoke, Barnsley, Northwich player dies age 49…

@MattBarker91: Genuinely one of our best ever defenders. Way too early, horrible news. Thoughts with his family

@CleemarinerDave: Horrible news.. RIP Peter what a player he was.. thoughts to his friends and family

@ch1ffy: Must be 1 of the few unsung non limelight wanting ex town of my generation. Always felt he could’ve played even higher than the championship if given the chance. RIP Pete will be forever remembered and talked about ❤️

@OlyDave96: Rip Peter heaven has a good one🖤

@Greeny5o1: Condolences. Handyside was one of those names I became familiar with as I Scunny fan growing up listening to Humberside – before the days of social media used to become very familiar with Town and City players tuning in to the radio! #RIP

@AndrewHumberst4: Class player.. what a shame.. only 49… So sad.. RIP Peter.. UTM

@emmajjohnson75: So sad to hear. Totally shocked by the news. Lucky to have known him. Thoughts are with his family 💔

@philwill86: R.I.P Peter handyside. 🔴⚪⚽

@jtravis007: Really sad news, great player for us, thoughts with his family and friends, RIP Peter Handyside #scfc 🔴⚪️

@paulfcb74: Gutted to hear of the death of Peter Handyside at just 49 years old. He was a class defender. One of my favourites. Awful news. RIP #GTFC

@JaseIves: Awful to hear about Peter Handyside.. Had so much ability, always thought he could’ve played at higher level if more driven. Comfortable on the ball, ‘cultured’ an expression used. Thoughts with family, friends and ex colleagues. Sure club will pay him the respects deserved. RIP

@FPL_Fish: Awful news, so young. What a class player he was for us.

@Youngy316: Peter Handyside, absolute Rolls Royce of a defender. What awful news. Far too young. #gtfc

@Parksy: RIP Peter Handyside, what a great CB he was and obviously a good captain. Part of that wonderful 2001-02 team who beat the South stand jinx at the Millennium Stadium to gain promotion. I really hope the club do a proper send off for him @stokecity #scfc

@grimbomid: Rest in peace Peter. A magnificent mariner.

@Hagi1978:
In our defensive foursome
He’s six foot and he’s awesome
At corners he will score some
He’s Peter Handyside
RIP

@RyanCollins1987: Such a sad loss. Will the club be doing some form of tribute today? A minutes applause? RIP Peter.

@ConnorSwales69: RIP Peter. One of my first heroes

@gtfcdan147: Very sad news. So young too, just 49. A fantastic player for us. RIP

@andyware: Very sad and untimely as you say. @FamousMrN198047 and I were his kit sponsor for many years. He was the best company whenever we got to meet him. A brilliant player, so cool in possession. Our thoughts go to his family. #UTM