It has been confirmed that Tottenham Hotspur will be allowed to play their Carabao Cup third round tie against Watford at Milton Keynes Dons.
Spurs requested to the EFL after being drawn at home but with their new stadium having to be delayed by problems with the safety systems.
They are unable to play the match at Wembley Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight fight with Alexander Povetkin on September 22.
It means the Premier League club had no choice but to look at playing their match elsewhere.
We can confirm that the EFL board has ratified our application to host our @Carabao_Cup Third Round fixture against Watford at Stadium MK.
The match is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 26 September with the kick off at 8pm.
Ticketing details shall follow in due course. pic.twitter.com/S9s9PzmGQT
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 6, 2018
Watford expressed their dismay at the decision, a Hornets source told Sky Sports News: “The integrity of the competition should stand above everything else. If Tottenham cannot fulfil the fixture, then we believe it should be reversed.”
After learning of the request last week, Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust said: As a supporters’ organisation, we would obviously not be happy to see our club’s home games moved to Stadium MK.
“Should the game go ahead, we would urge fans to consider the history of the MK club and the views of our friends at AFC Wimbledon.
“Board members of THST will not be attending the match if it is played at Stadium MK.”
After the venue was confirmed for the tie, the football world revealed their disappointment, many demanded that it should have been played at Watford – check out the tweets getting the most reaction on the next page.
Pages: 1 2