Top six favourites to become new Oxford manager as club sacks boss after near 5-year stint

The top six favourites to become new Oxford manager is to be revealed as the club sacks boss Karl Robinson after a near 5-year stint.

The U’s picked up their seventh defeat in eight matches, and now the club’s board have taken action after his side lost 3-0 at Bristol Rovers.

United won their last game back in January, beating Ipswich 2-1 at Kassam Stadium on the 21st, which sent them up to 10th place in the League One table.

These three points saw the U’s climb to 10th place in Sky Bet League One. They are eight points short of the play-off spots.

The U’s have fallen down the table due to a poor run of form, which earned just one point out of 24.

CLUB STATEMENT

Oxford United can confirm the departure of Karl Robinson who leaves his role as Head Coach at the club with immediate effect.

The Board would like to thank Karl for his hard work and efforts in the five years since he joined but recent results and performances mean that a change is needed.

The search for a new Head Coach will be thorough and extensive and is already underway.

While that work is undertaken the existing coaching staff of Craig Short, Leon Blackmore-Such and Wayne Brown will take charge of the First Team with their immediate focus being our next game, away at Lincoln City on Saturday.

FAVOURITES TO BECOME OXFORD MANAGER

BetVictor – 27th Feb – 9am
Steve Cotterill – 4/1
Neil Critchley – 6/1
Grant McCann – 8/1
Michael Appleton – 10/1
Liam Manning – 12/1
Danny Cowley – 12/1
Lee Bowyer – 14/1
Leam Richardson – 16/1
Neil Lennon – 20/1
Graeme Murty – 20/1
Stephen Robinson – 20/1
Chris Wilder – 20/1

BetVictor – 27th Feb – 12pm
Michael Appleton – 5/4
Steve Cotterill – 5/2
Grant McCann – 12/1
Danny Cowley – 14/1
Liam Manning – 14/1
Lee Bowyer – 16/1
Dean Whitehead – 16/1
Neil Critchley – 16/1
Robbie Fowler – 20/1
Leam Richardson – 20/1
Stephen Robinson – 25/1

BetVictor – 27th Feb – 5pm
Michael Appleton – 6/4
Des Buckingham – 7/2
Steve Cotterill – 5/1
Dean Whitehead – 8/1
Andy Whing – 16/1
Neil Lennon – 20/1
Robbie Fowler – 20/1
Leam Richardson – 25/1
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink – 25/1

Meanwhile, reports claim former Oxford United coach Des Buckingham, 38, is a top contender to replace Karl Robinson as manager at the Kassam Stadium, according to Football Insider.

He was part of Chris Wilder’s coaching staff at Oxford, but now a leading contender to succeed Robinson following his success coaching within the City Football Group, with the Oxford-born boss only just winning the Indian Super League League Winners’ Shield with Mumbai City, who whom he joined in October 2021, and is now preparing for the Indian Super League play-offs, and previously won a grand final of the A-League with Melbourne City as assistant during the 2020 season.

Robinson said on if talks took place with the board prior to the game: “That was never the case, the answer to the question is consistent – it constantly gets reviewed.

“Right now, this isn’t good enough and I don’t think anybody is stood here in front of you and saying that it is.

“The last two months have been as bad as I’ve had it in my career, and performances have certainly not been good enough.

“It hurts me, I know it hurts the players and I know how much it hurts the fans.

“Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to truly find out who you are.

“We’ve got to keep believing and keep doing the right things.

“It’s been a horrific run and I can’t dance away from that.”

On the current form and performance against Bristol Rovers, Robinson responded, as per Oxford Mail: “It’s as bad as it gets in some ways, right now it’s drained every ounce of confidence that we have within ourselves.

“I don’t think in any game, we’ve started negative or on the back foot.

“The one time they go in our box, the penalty goes against you and in that moment, I see all the confidence and belief drained.

“The criticism and negativity is expected and accepted, I have to stand and be as positive as I can and protect my players.

“I have to accept responsibility for the results, I don’t think any player is shirking responsibility, you can’t say anybody isn’t working hard but what you do see at this moment in time is a team lacking in confidence.”

Fans reacted as the top six favourites to become new Oxford manager is revealed as the club sacks boss Karl Robinson after a near 5-year stint in charge…

@owenmaynard8: Good luck for the future thank you for a great couple of years. Won’t let the ending change how much of a great manager he was

@PeteLinzey: I really did like Karl as a person and you could tell he cared for the club. But its definitely the right decision and time for a change. Good luck Robbo wherever you go

@oxfordkits: Hopefully, in time (and assuming relegation is avoided), we can remember Karls’s time with his attacking fluid football, and the way he conducted himself in the face of adversity and great sadness for #oufc. Rather than the past 14 months.

@DeadlyTheRoadie: Not a time to celebrate. A time to reflect and see where we can all be better. Some of the abuse has been unacceptable. Equally the performances have been unacceptable. Thank you Karl for steering the club through some difficult times – Joey, Micky, Womble – you cared.

@daniele_oufc: It ended poorly but that doesn’t take away from the excitement and memories made under him for a good few years. Good luck for the future

@_amills_: Thank you Karl, I have overall enjoyed your time here as a manager. Sadly your time has to come to an end here, but we won’t forget all you have done for the club. Especially with Joey Beauchamp. All the best on your next adventure. 💛💙

@steph_bumford: Thanks for everything Karl. Shame it’s ended this way but I’ll always be grateful for the passion and dedication you showed our club

@rachhiggi: Thanks for some great memories Karl and wishing you the very best I am sad it ended this way and hope fans do remember some of the amazing football we played under Karl, obviously excluding this season!

@bookiemonster81: Thankyou Karl for everything you did for the club. We did have some really good times. But this should have happened weeks ago and I hope we’ve left ourselves enough time to change direction.

@RobertF195: Thank you for all your efforts Karl. The football at times was great to watch. Good luck in your next venture

@fraserwebster12: Some amazing memories, and some first class leadership through ups and downs, but the correct decision for the club. Thanks Karl 💛💙 #oufc

@fluffmitten: Shame it had to end this way but we still have fond memories from the first few years, and I’ve no doubt Karl is genuinely a good person. I hope he goes on to success elsewhere (but for his own sake maybe takes a bit of a break first)

@BenOnWheelss: It’s not a pleasure to see anyone lose their job but from a selfish fan perspective this should have happened a long time ago. Onwards and upwards for Oxford United. #OUFC

@ridzioreborn: Thanks Karl for some incredible memories and performances , also for how you took the club to your heart and really cared. Wish you luck with everything in the future but the time was right for everyone for this to end now

@Rosie_may16: I mean it should have been done a few weeks back but atleast we can now start fresh. Although I’ve wanted robbo our for a while I do wish him the best of luck where he goes next, he did brilliant stuff with us but it was time to move on

@_LucyGH: As much as I was calling for him to leave after recent performances. We can’t deny we witnessed some of the greatest football this club has played in years and totally outdid ourselves at times. Thanks for everything in previous seasons KR. Now let’s get back on track #OUFC

@_Kayleigh_May_: Thank you for the memories Karl! You brought me back to OUFC and I have had the best time. Wish it didn’t end this way but all the best for the future 💛💙

@Ollie_52: Backroom staff next please

@CallumDowst: Danny Cowley??

@oufc_adam: Totally gutted the way it ended with KR. Some absolutely brilliant football played during his time here. All the best for the future KR. Now for the right for us to stay up #OUFC