Step 3 club considering voluntary demotion to Step 5

An owner of a non league club from Step 3 have admitted that they are considering applying for a voluntary demotion to Step 5.

When talking to Hunts Post in an honest interview, Lee Kearns of St Neots Town stated they have cut their playing budget with immediate effect, but stressed there was no threat to the long-term future of the club.

(photo by poshdrummeradam on Instagram)

Kearns said: “There is absolutely no jeopardy to the future of St Neots Town Football Club.

“As an entity is probably in the best position that it’s ever been in the time we’ve been at Rowley Park.

“It’s definitely not doom and gloom, but we pride ourselves being honest and it is only right to put everyone in the picture. It’s a case of being brave and doing what is right for the club.

“Nothing has been set in stone at this moment in time, but we are looking at all of our options for the future.

“Playing at this level is very expensive and we have to make a decision what is in the best interests of the club.

“We need to look at what comes in and goes out. We have to run a successful football club, not just a first team.”

He added that during his father’s tenure at the club has put a huge amount of money into getting them to where they are today.

However since their decision to stay at step 3 after he left the club in 2015, years have gone by and the Southern League Premier Central side need to have “another look at things”.

It was also revealed that manager Matt Clements has stepped down as the manager.

The club’s statement read: “We have always enjoyed a great relationship with Matt and made it clear from the start that we would like him to have a long-term involvement with the club, so, we are pleased to announce that Matt has accepted the role of director of football and will replace Iain Parr who has become a shareholder of St Neots Town FC Ltd.

“Matt will oversee all aspects of the club’s football development and will work alongside the club’s academy manager and lead scholarship coach.

“Matt’s first role will be to work with Iain and Barry to start the process of recruiting a new manager who we hope to have in place before the end of the season to make the transition as smooth as possible.

“We would like to go on record and thank Matt for all he has achieved as first-team manager and it goes without saying that we are thrilled that he will remain an integral part of the football club’s future.”

Since the news came out that St Neots Town are considering voluntary demotion to Step 5, fans and members of other clubs gave their reaction with some giving respect for the honest interview the club’s owner gave – take a look at what they are saying on the next page.