Connect with us

Grimsby Town

Police make arrests following ‘disorder’ after Grimsby vs Stockport

Police make arrests following a ‘disorder’ that played out after the National League game Grimsby vs Stockport on Friday.

Humberside Police took three people into custody when cops swarmed High Street in Cleethorpes after the National League match when fights broke out between fans report Grimsby Telegraph.

One of those three arrested came before the match and the two during with video footage emerging of officers policing the scene…

Credit: Grimsby Telegraph

Superintendent Paul French from Humberside Police said: “A football match was held today, Friday, April 15 between Grimsby Town and Stockport County.

“Throughout the day my colleagues were pleased to meet and talk to fans from both sides and I would like to thank those supporters who helped make the day enjoyable and a real success.

“Three arrests were made in total; one before the game and two during the game. They all remain in our custody while enquiries continue.

“Disappointingly, a small number of home and away fans met in Cleethorpes town centre following the match.

“Officers were immediately deployed and the incident was swiftly resolved.

Credit: Grimsby Telegraph

“While no offences were reported and while we have received no reports of anyone being assaulted, we will now review footage of the incident and determine if any further action will be required.

“I would like to reassure anyone who was concerned by the deployment of officers into the area, that this was done to ensure there was no escalation, to prevent offences and to keep people safe, and I am grateful to the wider community for their patience and understanding.

“I would like to thank our officers, colleagues from British Transport Police and most importantly the vast majority of those football supporters who helped make the day such an enjoyable one.

“If anyone has any concerns following today or report they would like to make, please call our non-emergency 101 number quoting log 144 of 15 April 2022.”

Twitter users reacted as police make arrests following ‘disorder’ after Grimsby vs Stockport…

Claire Binns: It’s horrible walking through Cleethorpes on a beautiful day with families everywhere to see grown men running up and down the streets trying to avoid the police whilst arranging trouble, swearing and generally creating a really uncomfortable atmosphere. It’s almost every town match day now, it needs to stop!!!

Rob Sumner: Idiots go and arrange fights aren’t football fans just uneducated Neanderthals. Probably wearing stone island jumpers and jackets on a boiling hot day.

Janet Shreeve: Team loses + alcohol + train cancellations = MORONS

@MikeTheNight40: Seems a fair statement for once, since its usually the power mad police who antagonise these situations.

@MistressMaz: This is why I avoided football for so many years. Thugs ruin the game, the atmosphere and the whole image of football. Disgraceful behaviour.

The game itself saw Grimsby come from a goal down to beat 10-man Stockport 2-1 and punish the National League leaders by ending their unbeaten league run of 18 games.

Scott Quigley broke the deadlock for the visitors in the 14th minute when he got on the end of a flick from Paddy Madden to put the ball past the keeper.

Stockport went down to 10-men on the 35th minute before the break when Antoni Sarcevic was sent off for a lunge on Michee Efete.

This went in favour for the hosts getting an equaliser on the 64th minute thanks to John McAtee knocking the ball through the legs of Ben Hinchliffe.

With 13 minutes remaining, the Mariners completed the turnaround when Gavan Holohan was there to convert from Luke Waterfall’s header back across goal and earn all three points for the playoff hopefuls.

“It is a fantastic win albeit with circumstances attached to that,” Grimsby boss Paul Hurst said after the game. “We had still had to win the game and it was tough going early on.

“They’re a very good side and scored a very good goal from their point of view. The sending off is clearly a turning point and I wanted to get the players in at half-time.

“The temptation was to change at half-time but the sending off changed that. I gave the players the chance to go back out and some might not have done.

“I have seen it back (red card) and I can see why it was given. If I’m being honest, I see why the player went for it.

“He didn’t go in with malice or anything like that. He is a fraction of a second from getting the ball and Michee (Efete) clattering him.

“Rightly or wrongly and I think wrongly, the way the game is played now, you have to be so careful. I can see why he gave it albeit whether I agree with it or not.

“I thought we let nerves get the better of us, that’s not us. When we’ve played good teams with good crowds, we have put in decent performances.

“In that first half, I watched good players give the ball away. They’re great at what they do and they press you but even when we had time, it was a frustrating watch.

“I was going to change shape but the sending off changed that thought. The second half, we had more belief, which I wasn’t convinced about at half-time, but the sending off changes it.

“We did get on top of the game and we looked a threat. They were both good goals and so was there’s but for different reasons.

“That got the crowd even noisier, they tried to ride that out but I could see us scoring another one. We had looked at that back post area, Luke (Waterfall) nods it in and it looked an easy finish but it was controlled on his weaker side and he could have put it over the bar.”

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Grimsby Town