Barnsley

Hull City fan, 7, hit by flare thrown by own supporter at Barnsley

A Hull City fan, 7, was sadly hit by a flare thrown by the club’s own supporter whilst watching the win at Barnsley on Saturday afternoon.

The Championship fixture fixture was marred by events off the pitch in which the young child was struck in the face by a pyrotechnic.

The young fan is reported to have suffered facial injuries after the explosive, known colloquially as pyros, was thrown into the crowd by another Hull supporter.

The incident in the away end was a disappointing footnote as events on the pitch were taking a much brighter turn for Grant McCann’s men.

Humberside Police HCAFC section, who provide policing at games, took to Twitter to highlight the incident and said they were investigating using CCTV.

Humberside Police posted the following tweet: “There’s a reason Pyros are banned, and it’s an offence to have at Football.

“A Hull fan has set a pyro off and thrown it in the crowd causing facial injury to a 7 year old Hull fan. CCTV being looked at @HullCity”

A 17-year-old male now faces questioning over the incident after he decided to present himself at a police station hours after the game finished.

Social media users have since reacted after hearing that a Hull City fan, 7, hit by a flare thrown by own his own team’s supporter at Barnsley…

@Anthony_S29: Hope they find the person that did this. No one should be going to football match and come back injured by someone else’s stupidity. Hope the young fan is OK.

@jimmymac2401: Badly behaved Hull City young uns too on the 11.02 train earlier too. I hope the kid is OK..

@SonOfAConte: You also need to be talking to the club about training their stewards properly. Everyone should be searched.

@burybaggio: i hope the 7 year old is alright, as a barnsley fan that behaviour is unacceptable at oakwell, where were the stewards?? celebrate the win yeah but throwing a flare at a 7 year old is beyond a joke i just hope that kid isn’t seriously injured

@El_Loco_Jo: What’s wrong with people for heavens sake???

@kev_chadwick: Find tnem and issue a life ban #hcafc

@Bristolmary: Everyone saying hope you find them but whilst I also hope the same, I hope more that the young child is okay and suffers no long lasting effects.

@Dosedmonkey: Ban public sale of these explosives. They get put through elderly people and families letter boxes. Traumatise people with autism, dementia and ptsd. Traumatise dogs. When will be wake up.

@MrMikeyMooshoo: What bright spark decided that was a good idea? Honestly what an idiot. And on a memorial game. You know when PTSD veterans most likely are present. Daft twats.

@Hodbow: Wtf goes through people’s heads? Hope the lad is ok x

@Uzzell01: Don’t be bloody idiots ffs

@CityView1904: You don’t throw it into your own crowd, ya thickos!

@jwhcafc: Absolute knobs

@TigerDor: Embarrassing. I hope you find the culprit. Maybe the same one that called me ‘love’ questioned what I knew about football and tossed in the F and C word.

@Tigerfan11: Saw the lad being taken out. Hope he’s ok

@williamyoung95: Whoever you are who threw it: You’re an immensely huge cunt and I hope someone throws a flare in your fucking face.

@Haydyn1903: Always has to be someone to ruin it 🙄 hope the kids okay

@chris_a_tye: Oh FFS. Seriously, stop being dickheads people! Hope the 7 year old fan will be OK.

@HCSStweets: Hope the young lad is OK. Hope the dickhead who threw this is identified – some will know who he is, don’t protect someone who’s injured a seven-year-old kid – and given a sizeable ban.

MATCH REPORT:

Hull City ended a run of five successive Championship defeats as their first away goals since the opening day of the season gave them all three points at fellow strugglers Barnsley.

George Honeyman put the Tigers ahead by slotting home the rebound after Tykes keeper Brad Collins prevented a deflection off Jasper Moon from finding the net for an own goal.

Barnsley beat Derby in midweek after a run of seven losses in a row, however their hopes of getting a second win on the bounce since the departure of former head coach Markus Schopp came to nothing in a disappointing performance.

Nathan Baxter, who made his first league start in goal for the away side, kept out a couple of Callum Brittain shots but was never seriously tested and Keane Lewis-Potter made the points safe with the second after being played in by Honeyman.

The win lifted Hull – who had only scored nine goals in their 16 previous games, the lowest total in the division – above their opponents into 22nd place, three points behind Cardiff City and Peterborough United.

Barnsley must use their two-week international break to find a replacement for Schopp, with caretaker boss Joseph Laumann unable to conjure a second win since being put in charge, having initially chosen to leave Mads Andersen, Callum Styles and Victor Adeboyejo, who all started against Derby, on the bench.

The home side had the best opportunity of the opening 30 minutes as Josh Benson’s free-kick found Devante Cole six yards out, yet he was unable to control his header, which flew over the bar.

They then found themselves behind as Honeyman coolly slotted home and it took a good save by Collins after the break to deny Greg Docherty, with Josh Magennis firing the follow-up wide.

Barnsley’s hopes faded when Lewis-Potter doubled the lead and it could have been even worse for the hosts when he set up sub Ryan Longman, whose shot thumped against the post.

Brittain was off target in Barnsley’s final attack of note before collecting a fifth yellow card of the season, which means he will be suspended for their next game against Fulham.

Barnsley caretaker boss Joseph Laumann told BBC Radio Sheffield:

“The decision making in the last third (of the pitch) was not good. Sometimes when we had a chance to shoot, we passed, and when we had to cross, we shot.

“In the last game, there was a lot more forward running, we were a lot more decisive, and today it was like one more pass, one more and we need to learn from it.

“It’s a big challenge, but we have enough quality to come out of the bottom (three).

“The loss hurts me a lot, but I didn’t think about (keeping) the job, I just don’t like losing.”

Hull head coach Grant McCann told BBC Radio Humberside:

“It’s a big win, given the positions of the teams in the league and a two-week international break now has probably come at the wrong time for us.

“We had to show the structure, the shape and the organisation because we know we’ve got goals in this team when we’ve got that right and today proved that.

“It’s just about belief and confidence. We’ll be in next week and working. For me, it’s not a time to rest, we need to continue to work on what we’re doing.

“The lads were throwing bodies in the way and making sure we weren’t going to concede against a Barnsley team that had just come off the back of a good result. It’s always a tough place to come, Oakwell, but I thought we were excellent.”

More in Barnsley