Further details emerge as as club source for Everton has been forced to speak out on the topic of their suspended player.
The midfielder Fabian Delph is reported to have been wrongly named across various social media platforms as the Premier League footballer suspended by the club over alleged child sex offences.
Thousands of Twitter users shared fake messages claiming that Delph had been arrested following a raid by Greater Manchester Police.
View this post on Instagram
The confusion came after Everton released a statement saying that they had suspended one of its players pending a police investigation but did not name him.
All that was said by the media was that it was a 31 year old, which many felt was wrong to reveal and yet keep the name quiet.
Earlier this week, a spokesperson at Everton said: “It’s been extremely unfortunate for Fabian.
“He is entirely innocent and has been dragged into this by the club’s decision not to name the other player, directly leading to rumours spreading on unregulated websites and social media.”
In a statement, Greater Manchester Police had previously said: ‘Officers arrested a man on Friday, July 16 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences. He is on police bail pending further enquiries.’
Detectives have even raided a footballer’s near-£2million home earlier this month in search of evidence.
A source said: ‘Several items were seized by cops. He was questioned in relation to very serious offences.’
The player cannot be named for legal reasons over in the United Kingdom — although he has been identified in his home country and on global news websites.
He is understood to vehemently deny the allegations that are being made against him but has already been stripped of an endorsement deal.
A statement on Everton’s official website added: “The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries.”
The club source went on: “The news about the arrest has sent shock waves through the club.
“His team-mates had no idea.
“The probe is being led by specialist officers who received a complaint several weeks ago.
“This news has left everyone at the club stunned.
“They are determined to make sure everything is investigated properly and no stone is left unturned.
“The club told all the players yesterday what happened.
“The players are in total shock.
“The arrested player is a very popular member of the squad so no one can believe it.
“The players are all just hoping that it’s a misunderstanding or a mix-up or something.”
The Toffees star was arrested last Friday and interviewed for several hours before being released on bail.
The alleged offences have been described as “very serious”.
Everton are due to fly to the United States to compete in the Florida Cup against Colombian side Millonarios on July the 26th.
View this post on Instagram
Meanwhile it’s confirmed that Fabian Delph has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid.
Delph will now miss Everton’s pre-season tour because he must self-isolate.
Everton said: “Everton can confirm that Fabian Delph will not travel with the squad to the Florida Cup in Orlando as a precautionary measure after coming into contact with someone who has since tested positive for Covid-19.
“Delph, who began his preparations for the coming season on 5 July and has played in both of the Club’s practice matches – including a 1-0 victory against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday – will resume his pre-season training as soon as his period of self-isolation is over.”
Everton have this week gone into the transfer market and signed two players, goalkeeper Asmir Begovic 34, from AFC Bournemouth along with Andros Townsend 30, who was most recently with Crystal Palace.
“Everything is in place for us to be successful,” said Begovic, who will provide back-up to Jordan Pickford.
“Everton is a massive club,” he told EvertonTV. “I want to prove I’m good enough to be an important player here.”
“My strengths are that I can cross a ball with my left or right foot, get balls into the box,” said Townsend.
“I like to score a goal or two and I work hard off the ball – which is something I got better at with Rafa.
“My job now is to prove I’m good enough to be an important part of this football club and that’s what I’m working hard in training and in games – and whenever I get the opportunity in pre-season – to do. That’s what drives me.”