Forest Green sack their manager and immediately replace him with 35 year old

Forest Green Rovers confirm the decision to sack their manager David Horseman and immediately replace him with 35 year old Troy Deeney.

The player-coach, who joined the League Two strugglers back in August, is being lined up as a replacement on a permanent basis.

Forest Green, currently sit second bottom in the table, with 15 points taken from 20 games played, are 5 points from safety and have two games in hand over 22nd place Colchester.

CLUB STATEMENT:

Forest Green Rovers can today confirm that Troy Deeney has been appointed Head Coach, following the departure of David Horseman and Louis Carey by mutual consent after a disappointing opening to the 23/24 season.

Troy- who joined FGR earlier this season as a Player Coach from Birmingham City becomes Head Coach with immediate effect and will announce appointments to his backroom team in the days ahead.

Deeney was previously captain at Watford – where he spent a decade and was part of the squads which won promotion to the Premier League in 2014-15 and 2020-21.

Troy Deeney, Head Coach, Forest Green Rovers, said: “I am very pleased and honoured to be appointed as the new Head Coach.  I know the fans will have many questions, which will be answered as soon as possible. We will not hide from the task at hand and will be open and honest along the way.

“One thing I can assure everyone is that we will work our very hardest to bring this wonderful club back to success.   This is an exciting new role with many challenges that I’ll embrace. and there’s a lot of work for us to do, which has already started.  I look forward to welcoming fans to our home game this Friday against Gillingham.”

Dale Vince, Chairman, Forest Green Rovers, commented: “I’d like to thank David and Louis for all they have done here and wish them the best for the future – I wish we had more time, but we’re at the halfway mark of the season and need to act decisively to improve our performances and league position.

“Troy came to us to begin his career in coaching and take the next step of his career – this is happening sooner than expected but he’s built strong relationships already with our staff, squad and fans – and is well placed for the challenge.  We’ll strengthen our squad in the coming transfer window as well, to give ourselves the best chance of first securing our place in L2 before looking upward once more, toward L1 and beyond.”

Troy’s first game as Head Coach at FGR will be in front of home fans against Gillingham on Friday, December 22.

It comes less than 24 hours after Forest Green Rovers exited the FA Cup following a 3-0 defeat to League One side Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

“The manner of the goals is shocking,” said Horseman, as per Gloucestershire Live. “It’s not coaching – it’s really bad individual errors.

“The three goals are bad. I said to Louis (Carey) and the boys that 3-0 flatters them. They deserved to win but it’s another one that leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.”

“Teams from the Championship up will have a head of performance – they sit over medical and sports science. We’re lucky with our physio and sports science team, we’re just looking for someone to sit over the top.

“The person will make sure there is a philosophy and always go back to training, rehab, prehab, how we do our gym work. We do lots of brilliant stuff with the staff but the idea is to have someone with an overarching view.

“This role will stop us having the problems we’ve had this year which is getting people fit during the season without having an injury crisis.

“We only had 10 days to two weeks at the start of the season and by then recruitment is already done at our club and others.

“We’re ambitious in January because we can turn it around quite quickly but I think we do need those additions. They need to bring us the pace and power to drive teams back.

“Over the years, we haven’t signed athletic enough or quick/strong enough players to compete against these teams (Blackpool).

“The first pre-season game against Plymouth was a real eye-opener, it’s clear the way we have to go. I’m sure recruitment and Allan (Steele) are on it trying to find players that can supplement the good players we do have.

“I’ve got no issues with the players, but the physicality is clear.

“We had no issues [ijury wise] tonight. There was no point risking Ryan Inniss at 2-0. Matty Stevens got through 60, and I’m planning on using him again on Friday.

“Sean Robertson took a ball in the face so he had to come out.

“We have three games between now and New Year’s Day that are winnable. We’ve got players coming back and as of Friday, we will be stronger.

“We need to keep the players fit, if we do that we win games.”

This is what fans are saying with Forest Green set to sack their manager David Horseman and immediately replace him with 35 year old Troy Deeney…

@chris_ril3y: For a team that’s so synonymous with being environmentally friendly.. they sure do throw managers in the rubbish bin fairly often 👀

@Jakey_Boyz: Because we keep appointing ones with absolutely no EFL experience and expect them to turn out like Rob Edwards did

@seber19: they’ve had it 🤣

@Jord_Newman1: Fucking hell, when are we going to learn 😂😂

@Rover98FGR: All I want for Christmas is an experienced EFL manager 😪

@Lewis_Bickley: They’re going so far down the pyramid

@Ben_Pitman: Hire a manager with some experience for once @DaleVince, whole reason we’re in this mess

@Jack_fgr: Hello @DaleVince I’ve been a really good boy this year, all I ask for Christmas is a manager with some experience of league two football.

@Jakey_Boyz: Troy on a permanent? Fuck off

@StagsAnalytics: Oh my word. Troy Deeney? If he’s like anything that he is on them podcasts forest Green fans are in for a massive treat. Can see this appointment spiralling into a quick exit. Feel sorry for #WeAreFGR

@JackB_99_: If we weren’t already relegated… we are now

@thescreenster: We are witnessing a Forest Green double relegation unfold right before our eyes, love to see it

@tylerkilmister: bloody hell 😂😂😂😂

@BcfcMichael: That’s going to be very interesting to see how he does]

@JoshLoveridge93: Troy Deeney mind 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

@DeanoCummings85: He won’t be there furlong

@DomShorts: No, no, no!! We weren’t doing that bad until DH brought TD into the scene. Concerned We’re now totally f****d

@TomCarter009: Please tell me this is a joke

@bantamdevil: Sooner they’re back in non-league the better 👌

@Dan_splash: Spend the money get a experience league manager.

@mattyadders: Deeney in charge on a permanent basis. National league awaits.

@StandingAlone77: Pretty shady that they dump Horseman for Deeney. Interesting to see if this move pays off.

@Stackz_18: Not happy with the appointment but it can’t really get worse can it… least Bojack has been removed, cluelessly doing the same thing week after week wasn’t going to ever work

@joshyt6: This back to back relegation is gunna be so sweet

@JayPVFC: Deeney as manager 🤣 strange club

@LukeNash9: What a piss take club is a circus temp yes permanent no. He has no experience as a coach one mistake after another

@andyhodder: Horseman had to go, he was never the right fit but there’s other experienced managers about so replacement seems a bit knee jerk as team haven’t been responding to Troy so far

@Rover98FGR: Can the board answer me this. Troy has been part of the coaching staff for one of our worst seasons so far. The players haven’t been listening to him on the pitch, what makes us think it will change being head coach? Mark Bonner is available ffs!

@SafcFan1973: I like Troy Deeney, he talks well. His appointment at Forest Green was coming from the second he joined them. Interested to see who he takes with him as his No 2. Wouldn’t be sad to Forest Green disappear from the 92 this season to be honest.