League Two

Favourites to become new Sutton United manager revealed after 8-0 defeat leads to sacking

The favourites to become new Sutton United manager has been revealed after their 8-0 defeat at Stockport leads to the sacking of Matt Gray.

The result leaves them sitting bottom of the League Two table, with 14 points from 21 games played, six points from safety, without a league win in five and six points from safety.

Gray was appointed by Sutton in 2019 and guided them to the Football League for the first time in their history in 2021.

Sutton have since stated that assistant manager Jason Goodliffe would be taking charge of first-team training this week, in preparation for Saturday’s fixture at home to 4th place Mansfield, who are looking to break into the top three.

Sutton had began the 2023/24 campaign with a 5-1 over Notts County, only to then lost their next seven league games and couldn’t pick up a league win again until October.

They have also only won once in the league since, but have managed to make it to the third round of the FA Cup, of which they will travel to Championship side Plymouth, who are also managerless having seen Steven Schumacher leave for Stoke this week.

In Gray’s first season with Sutton in the EFL, they narrowly missed out on the playoffs by one point, finishing 8th, reached the final of the EFL Trophy in 2021-22, losing to Rotherham on penalties, then finished 14th last season.

CLUB STATEMENT:

The Sutton United Board of Directors has this morning released the following statement.

”The Board of Directors at Sutton United has made the extremely difficult decision to part company with manager Matt Gray.

Matt will forever have a large place in Sutton United’s history as the manager who took us in to the Football League for the first time in our 123-year existence, and to a Wembley final and within a point of the play-offs in our first season at this level. However this season’s results have been disappointing and our league position, as we approach the half way mark of the season, led us to decide with great reluctance that a change is necessary.

We would like to express our massive gratitude to Matt for the success he has given us during his four and a half years in charge, and for his endless dedication, commitment and hard work in that time, all done with an attitude, passion and energy that made him hugely popular in every area of the club. He will always be welcome at Sutton, and we offer him every good wish for his future career.

Update: We can now confirm that Jason Goodliffe, Matt’s assistant throughout his four and a half year spell in charge and also a former Sutton player between 2009 and 2011, will take charge of first team training this week and preparation for the game against Mansfield Town on Saturday.”

FAVOURITES TO BECOME NEW SUTTON UNITED MANAGER:

BetVictor – 20th Dec – 12pm
Mark Bonner – 5/1
Steve Cotterill – 6/1
Jason Goodliffe – 8/1
Steve Morison – 10/1
Luke Garrard – 10/1
Keith Curle – 10/1
Gareth Ainsworth – 12/1
Kevin Maher – 14/1
Kevin Betsy – 14/1
Dean Brennan – 14/1
Tommy Widdrington – 16/1
Mark Cooper – 16/1
John McGreal – 16/1
Dean Holden – 16/1
Andy Woodman – 16/1
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink – 16/1
Lee Bowyer – 16/1
Darren Sarll – 16/1
Shaun Derry – 20/1
Scott Brown – 20/1
Nathan Rooney – 20/1
Gary Rowett – 20/1
Adam Hinshelwood – 20/1

This is what fans are saying as the favourites to become new Sutton United manager are revealed after the 8-0 defeat leads to Matt Gray’s sacking…

@Gandermonium: Bonner’s the most interesting there TBH. Doubt Woodman leaves Bromley for us. Garner would be amusing. Contrast in styles somewhat! That one would make us chuckle. He’s also ex-Sutton, albeit only played for the reserves. 😄

@Penston44: Mark bonner

@Chalmers76: Def don’t fancy garner or cooper, woodman won’t happen either, I hadn’t considered bonner as an option, think Sarll could be up there as most likeliest in my eyes

@YouthCoachMike: Simon Bassey!? Immediate bounce when he went into rock bottom Barnet. Lives local, watches Sutton, and having spoken to him about football over the years, his principles are exactly what we need right now IMO

@RichG3230: You need to swerve Cooper whatever you do.

@LeeTaylor93: Dean Holden will be the man for them

@chrisp12591: The board were in a classic ‘no win’ position whether they took action now, or kept him in place. But it doesn’t diminish the incredible achievements of Matt and the team over the past few seasons. No one would have dreamt Sutton would be an EFL side 5 or 6 years ago.

@geoster1: I’m really gutted it’s ending this way. Given us memories we could have only dreamed about a few years ago. All the best Matt, thanks for everything you have done!

@Dobbo75: Massive shame. Thanks for getting Sutton to the highest league level and keeping us there for 2 seasons. Also, the Wembley day out was fun!!

@jimmyhaz1: Very tough job, need to quickly turn around the trajectory for a chance of survival. Rochdale couldn’t do it last season…needs some one with experience of a league two survival job

@danieljclarke: If he never got promoted, he’d have never been sacked! A real shame to not stick with him. Top bloke.

@Gary_M_Wilkes: I like the local rivalry and all that, but I don’t want to see you guys go out of the league. I hope things sort themselves out for you. All the best (Wimbledon fan)

@WightmanRe85854: Stockport County fan here Gutted for you lot really such a shame that they have sacked him really it was expected to happen hopefully you find the right person who will keep your team up in the league good luck with who ever you have and good luck for the rest of the season 👍

@ellyp73: Wonderful servant and working against all the odds with limited funds what a fantastic story Matt Gray has been he’ll be a success wherever he goes 👏👏

@BSnowhand: He achieved much much more than he was supposed to all I can say is Good Luck to you Matt I know you will go on to more success in the future

@PeterFrake: Absolutely fantastic guy @MattGray25 and his achievements have set the club to where they are today. Tough season with the changes and I really hope we see Matt in a dug out very very soon. Good luck
@MattGray25

@andy_puttock: With a bit of backing somewhere he’ll go higher than Sutton. Gutted for him right now though.

@IanHazel7: What a brilliant job Matt & his staff have all done. Great achievement to get them into the Football League & play at Wembley especially. I’m sure he will have no shortage of offers in the future.

@CUSSLEWIS: Absolute respect for this man, what a job he has done for Sutton United. People don’t realise how hard football management is and what has to go into it. All the best to Matt for the future.

@CraigGoater87: Can remember Johnsons Paint Trophey final against us (Rotherham) you’re guys pushed us to to limits under Matt, fitness won us that final cos your deserved something out of it, gutted to hear this news but hopefully you can bounce back with Right appointment

More in League Two