Favourites to become new England manager with Southgate ‘likely’ to leave if Euro 2024 failure

We take a look at the favourites to become new England manager with Gareth Southgate saying he is ‘likely’ to leave if failure at Euro 2024.

He says it’s likely he won’t continue as manager if England don’t win the tournament this summer, with Southgate’s current deal set to expire towards the end of the year.

Despite being linked with club management, mostly with a role at Man Utd depending on Erik ten Hag’s future, his sole focus has been on the tournament in Germany.

England and Southgate have arrived in Germany, but German outlet Bild have published an interview with the Three Lions boss.

Southgate is quoted as saying this could be his last chance to win something because if he doesn’t this summer, he’ll likely leave the role.

He said: “If we don’t win, I probably won’t be here anymore. It might be the last chance. “I think about half of the national coaches leave after a tournament – that’s the nature of international football.

“I’ve been here for almost eight years now and we’ve come close so I know that you can’t keep standing in front of the public and saying ‘please do a little more’, because at some point, people will lose faith in your message.

“If we want to be a big team and I want to be a top coach, then you have to deliver in the big moments.”

FAVOURITES TO BECOME NEW ENGLAND MANAGER:

(Sky Bet – 11 June 2024)
Eddie Howe – 4/1
Graham Potter – 5/1
Mauricio Pochettino – 9/1
Pep Guardiola – 10/1
Jurgen Klopp – 14/1
Lee Carsley – 14/1
Steve Cooper – 14/1
Steven Gerrard – 16/1

(BetVictor – 11 June 2024)
Graham Potter – 6/1
Eddie Howe – 6/1
Lee Carsley – 6/1
Pep Guardiola – 8/1
Jurgen Klopp – 8/1
Mauricio Pochettino – 10/1
Jose Mourinho – 12/1
Thomas Tuchel – 12/1
Steven Gerrard – 14/1
Steve Cooper – 14/1
Brendan Rodgers – 16/1

Sky Sports News’ chief reporter Kaveh Solhekol added: “His England contract runs out at the end of the year. We know that he feels he’s got unfinished business at club level. We also know he would like to manage abroad one day.

“So whatever happens to England, I think Gareth Southgate’s future is going to be a focus of debate.

“But for the time being, he said he is focusing 100 per cent on England, I’m not thinking about or talking to anyone else.

“And anyone who has approached him or his representatives have been told ‘Gareth is unwilling to engage at the moment, his mind is fully set on England’.”

The Football Association will refrain from making any plans for potential successors to Gareth Southgate until the conclusion of the Euros.

The FA has expressed a strong desire to keep Southgate and is prepared to offer him a new contract in order to persuade him to stay.

However, they have not made any formal approaches or developed contingency plans, keeping in mind that Southgate’s contract comes to an end in six-months unless he resigns.

Having been in charge for eight years, but Southgate is now facing increased pressure to deliver a trophy, given the significant progress he has made with the team.

 At present, there are no obvious candidates for his replacement, apart from the likes of Graham Potter or Eddie Howe, with the FA prefering to appoint a homegrown coach who supports the St George’s Park system.

Speaking last month on the speculation, Southgate said: “Well, for me, it’s not an issue and never has been.

“I have to deliver a successful tournament for England and there’s enough work involved in that. I think everybody would expect that’s where my focus should be.”

He added: “There will always be speculation about managers, because if you lose a couple of games, you’re in trouble – you win a couple of games and it is a different agenda.

“But for me, it [Euro 2024] is a brilliant opportunity. We’re looking forward to the tournament. My focus is on how do we go a step further than we went in the last Euros [when they were beaten on penalties in the final by Italy].”

This is what fans are saying with the favourites to become new England manager revealed as Gareth Southgate says it’s ‘likely’ he is to leave if there is failure at Euro 2024 this summer…

@bwfc_elliot: Be gutted if we fail to win for reasons other than himself and he still leaves. Just because we haven’t won any trophies under his reign doesn’t mean he hasn’t done a superb job and is the best man going forward to put us in a position to win trophies

@azatampswfc: The appointment they make after Gareth is going to be so so important, 2026 and 2028 will see a lot of our big talent enter their prime years. Those are our real opportunities for international success, especially with 2028 being a home tournament. Not to mention the current U21 crop who have some great players in will hopefully be filtering up into the senior squad, has the makings of one of the most talented england squads ever

@samainsworth1: This is where we smack every team 4-0 and win it

@Hayward77Joshua: He knows his time is up if he doesn’t win it this year with this talented young squad we have, Especially making big calls dropping Rashford, Grealish & Henderson, He’s picked players on form for once which is what we all wanted.

@Noberts1878: Think this tournament will be a disaster to be honest. He’s done well to restore some pride back to the national team but he should have walked after Qatar before it turns sour this summer. If only we could take penalties he’d have the major honour he deserved for this team

@BarryLawsonJnr1: All the man needs to do is take the handbrake off in big moments. Those players will carry him to greatness. Unfortunately I don’t see him having that willingness to do that

@Leighty100: Fuck sake, this is getting worse. Manager talking about quitting if/when we don’t win the euro’s really gives a lot of confidence. Honestly if this tournament ends up another huge failure I’ll be fuming 😂🤡 #england #euro2024

@seanbaker87: Cheers Gareth. Appreciate the efforts on to the next 🙏🏻

@leemcevoy1972: Well when we don’t win, that will most definitely be the silver lining!!!

@redsaints106: Best news I’ve heard for some time!!

@nannysue40: So he’s going then. We won’t win it because he doesn’t have a plan B to change the game if things are not going well.

@neal_with_an_A: I think that’s the right decision should England fail to deliver. We’ve got a second opportunity with a near on Golden Generation again. England men need to win the Euros.

@Samramsey1995: Imagine him saying he will likely leave his role… if I was the FA he would have been sacked years ago.. anyway.. once again an amazing squad but doubt will win anything because of a below average manager

@dthomson123: So your telling me this summer is a Win/Win? 🍻🍻🍻

@AzulGul21: I really don’t know what to make of Gareth Southgate – he has been far more successful than all England managers apart from Alf Ramsey, but then he has never won a match against a top team in a major tournament and England got lucky with their draws in 2018 and 2021.

@LFC8FAN: In other words Southgate is leaving once they finally meet a decent team and get knocked out

@gedmaloney: Never ceases to amaze me how much stick GS receives given his track record is second only to Sir Alf. Be careful what you wish for👍. Good luck England👍