Connect with us

English Football League

Fans banned by Plymouth after mass brawl with Wigan fans in the stands during match

A number of fans have been banned by Plymouth Argyle after mass brawl in the stands during a match against Wigan Athletic last year.

Five thugs who were in the home end, will be unable to attend home matches after clashing with the travelling fans back in November.

Lewis Harris, 25, Dylan Yardley, 20, Thomas Dunne, 29, George Mitchell, 25, and Keiran Harries, 20, have all been banished from Home Park as well as other cities when Argyle play away.

Magistrates issued the bans after the five men admitted taking part in a brawl during Plymouth Argyle’s match against Wigan Athletic on the 27th of November last year.

A joint investigation was launched by the club, the FA and Devon and Cornwall Police following the disorder.

The force said fans from both teams threw objects like bottles and coins during the “large disorder”.

Stadium bans and fines

  • Harris, of Rydal Close, Estover, was given a 12-month community order with 160 hours unpaid work.
  • Mitchell, of Ayreville Road, Beacon Park, was also given a similar order with the same amount of unpaid work but with probation’s Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.
  • Yardley, of Courtney Street, Newton Abbot, was fined £300.
  • Dunne, of Deacons Green, Tavistock, was fined £400.
  • Harries, of York Place, Stoke, was fined £500.

Each of the five men must pay £85 costs and victim surcharges.

What is a Football Banning Order?

Football Banning Orders are automatically applied for criminal offences at matches.

They can last up to three years and apply outside football stadiums as well as on the way to games.

The five defendants are banned from going into any town or city on any day when Argyle are playing away – from six hours before until six hours after the game.

The defendants are also barred from Central Park around the stadium on any home match day.

This applies from six hours before kick-off until six hours after the final whistle.

In November, Plymouth had already banned more than 25 supporters for their involvement “in a serious disorder and breaching of ground regulations” for the same game.

They said at the time: “The club has made progress in its investigation into disturbances during Saturday’s Sky Bet League One fixture against Wigan Athletic at Home Park.

“Since the conclusion of Saturday’s fixture, we have worked with the police and our security partner to identify those responsible for the trouble and ensure that such behaviour is rooted out of our club.

“Our investigation team has reviewed a combination of CCTV, match footage and body cameras from security staff and police officers operating at the fixture.

“We thank all supporters who have shared information and footage with us as part of our evidence gathering.

“As a result, in consultation with Devon and Cornwall Police, over 25 individuals have had their ticketing accounts immediately suspended due to involvement in serious disorder and breaching of ground regulations at Home Park.

“Internal investigations will continue, and the club is working closely with Devon and Cornwall Police to identify further individuals found to be involved in the disturbances.

“We will provide a further update once the police investigation is concluded, and write to those affected in due course to inform them of their suspension.

“Stadium bans will be issued to all identified individuals. Each ban has been calculated on a case-by-case basis, with a mixture of time-limited (2.5 years) and indefinite bans issued based on the severity of offence.”

Social media users reacted with fans banned by Plymouth after the mass brawl with Wigan fans in the stands during last year’s League One match…

@shoveyxxx: You must be so proud 🛎🔚

@SportyWigan: Maroon jacket fancied being a punchbag for the afternoon?

@Gellyfour: Embarrassing bellends

@leesmit89879580: Bunch of fucking idiots. No place for it. And as for the chanting that’s even worse. Did you wear your man United jacket aswell ?

@redned76: The Police should put themselves on trial for that farce at Plymouth. A liberty allowing Plymouth fans to climb across an empty stand and attack the Wigan contingent. What were the Wigan travelling fans supposed to do, let themselves get battered. Almost like they let it happen 🤨

@HarryMcNally00: Of course they let it happen . They can film it , have a few dawn raids , get the banning orders up and …… go the World Cup on the taxpayers expense. It’s an absolute racket .

@wafc_110513: Absolutely. Also, no netting at all at top of the stand. If Plymouth fans had realised sooner it would have been worse. Police only arrived after a Plymouth fan had ran across the top and punched a young lad. Took police 10mins to appear! Awful policing that put Tics fans at risk

@JackJolley432: Plymouth at fault for lack of adequate segregation. Basic error of the police to block off the area. Police love an easy cop months later on film than preventing it in first place. Plymouth fans being the aggressors that day

@JohnJohnpgriff: Normal down there, they usually just stand back and watch outside the ground.

@stuartalker: Hit the nail firmly on the head there. They left the stewards (whose job it is not) to stand there and cop it, then the Police arrived about 10 mins later from outside. Shambles. Although one clown of a steward said to us “you caused that!” 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in English Football League