fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Ex-England, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Arsenal and Ipswich striker dies age 68

Ex-England, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Arsenal and Ipswich striker Paul Mariner sadly dies age 68, it has been confirmed on Saturday morning.

Mariner scored 139 goals in 339 games for Ipswich and was a member of their FA Cup winning team of 1978 and the side that won the UEFA Cup in 1981.

He also earned 35 caps for England between 1997 and 1985 whilst scoring 13 times for his country.

A statement declared: “We’re sad to have learned that Paul Mariner, who made 35 appearances for the Three Lions, has passed away at the age of 68.

“Mariner represented England between 1977 and 1985, scoring 13 goals.

A tweet from Ipswich read: “We are devastated to hear the news of the passing of Town legend Paul Mariner at the age of 68.

“The thoughts of everyone at #itfc are with Paul’s family and friends at this sad time.”

It was reported last year that he had undergone surgery on a brain tumour.

HIS FAMILY SAID:

“We regretfully inform you that Paul passed away peacefully on the the 9th of July surrounded by his family, after a brief battle with brain cancer.

“We would like to thank all the people who came to see him through his illness for their support and for the messages that were sent to him, they meant a great deal to him and us.

“A special thank you must go to the NHS and the unbelievable care he received when he most needed it and for that we, as a family, will forever be in your debt.

“Paul lived a full life and was fortunate enough to represent a group of fantastic football clubs as well as his country, all of which meant the world to him.

“Anyone who knew Paul will attest to his fantastic sense of humour, his passion for life and for his work.

“He will be sorely missed by everyone who was ever around him and by those most close to him.  – The Mariner family “

– STATEMENT ENDS –

ITV presenter Mark Pougatch paid tribute, stating: “Desperately sad news this weekend. Lucky enough to have known Paul & what a lovely man he was.

“His goal took England to the 82 World Cup. We will pay tribute on our Final preview show tonight 10.55 @ITV. #RIPMarrers”

Ex-England player Gordon Hill wrote online: “I got the sad news a couple of hours ago of the passing of my very good and close friend Paul Mariner.

“It it heart breaking to me as we was close. and roomed together in the England team.

“Rest in peace PM you will always be with me and remembered fondly.”

Here he was celebrating his 66th birthday on ESPN FC, fair to say he was spoiled…

MARINER’S CAREER:

Youth career
1971–1973 – Chorley

Senior career
1973–1976 – Plymouth – 135 games (56 goals)
1976–1984 – Ipswich – 260 games (96 goals)
1984–1986 – Arsenal – 60 games (14 goals)
1986–1988 – Portsmouth – 56 games (9 goals)
1988 – Wollongong City – 2 games (0 goals)
1989–1992 – Albany Capitals – 17 games (1 goal)
1992–1993 – San Francisco Bay – 10 games (0 goals)
Total – 555 games (179 goals)

National team
1977–1985 – England – 35 games (13 goals)

Teams managed
2003 – Harvard Crimson (assistant)
2004–2009 – New England Revolution (assistant)
2009–2010 – Plymouth Argyle
2012–2013 – Toronto FC

HONOURS:

As a player

Plymouth Argyle
– Third Division runner up: 1974–75

Ipswich Town
– FA Cup: 1977–78
– UEFA Cup: 1980–81

Individual
– Plymouth Argyle Player of the Year: 1974–75, 1975–76
– Plymouth Argyle Team of the Century
– Football League First Division PFA Team of the Year: 1980–81
– Ipswich Town Player of the Year: 1982–83
– Ipswich Town Hall of Fame: Inducted 2011

Fans, clubs and those that knew the ex-England, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Arsenal and Ipswich striker pay tribute after hearing he dies age 68…

@juliek1712: Very sad news. I had more panini stickers with Paul Mariner and Mick Mills when they played for Ipswich than any other players. A reminder of my childhood. May he rest in peace!

@PhilWri21768758: My first hero when I was a kid. I had no links to Ipswich, but my first cup final that I watched was 78 and Mariner was the one who I latched on to. RiP.

@hesslebine: RIP Paul. Classy forward who would’ve thrived in the modern game

@AidennediA_: Win it for him on Sunday.

@The_Kevster: Sad news RIP Paul, great Ipswich legend

@philipstr: A true Argyle legend. I can remember seeing him give the great Bobby Moore the run around so much against Fulham that he was taken off at half time with a 4-0 Argyle lead! Gone but NEVER forgotten RIP legend. x

@steve78itfc: Black armbands should be worn by the England players tomorrow.

@vblock: As a young kid going to Arsenal in the mid 80s, Paul was one of my heroes. Great footballer and by all accounts a great person too. RIP.

@wilco73: Remember what a warrior he was. Only with us for a short while towards the end of his career but always 100% effort. RIP Paul

@ChrisPAFC: Wow, no way. RIP Paul

@jimmyball8: Great player for the old man at Portsmouth. Marrers and Quinn up front, bet they wish they had a pair half as good as them now.

@dringpaul: Such sad news. Paul was my childhood hero and I modelled my goal celebration after him. Ipswich and England legend. Deepest condolences to the whole family. Rest in Peace #legend

@IggyPopBarker: What a player Paul Mariner was by the way. Pretty much a goal every third cap for England in a time when they often underperformed and a huge part of an Ipswich squad that performed miracles between 78 and 82, that doesn’t get talked about enough because of Forest and Liverpool.

@P_Martin19: Can’t believe the news about Paul Mariner passing away, absolutely gutted, what a player he was for Ipswich, my first hero in football, a very sad loss R.I.P 🙏🙏🙏

@CoeureDeLion: Paul Mariner… I always wanted to be him in the school playground. Loved watching him. Thank you for great days. Good luck in the next world

@Dedwoods: I was a Portman Road regular throughout the Seventies and early Eighties and was privileged to witness that extraordinary chapter in #itfc history first hand. Paul wrote so much of that chapter himself. Heartfelt condolences to all of his loved ones.

@DaveyHugs: RIP @Paul_Mariner an amazing guy. Very genuine, funny and knowledgeable. Generous with his time for fans. Will be missed. 😥

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Championship