fbpx
Connect with us

Carlisle United

Ex-Carlisle, Swindon, Chester, Preston, Leyton Orient player dies age 48

Ex-Carlisle, Swindon, Chester, Preston, Leyton Orient player Steve Finney dies age 48, his former clubs sadly confirm on Friday evening.

Finney was a professional footballer who played as a forward and made appearances in the Football League for six different clubs.

More recently, he had been helping coach Westmorland League team Ullswater United, helping star strikers such as the flying scotsman Andy Reid and solid defenders like Carl Horner.

CARLISLE STATEMENT:

Carlisle United were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Finney, who died on Wednesday [2 Feb] following a short illness, at the age of 48.

Finney scored six goals in 36 appearances for the Blues during his season with us in 1998/99 and was a bit of a talisman in what was a tough campaign – United didn’t lose any of the six league games in which he scored a goal.

Chairman Andrew Jenkins said: “I first met him as a young lad when he was coached by Pop Robson and Jack Watson, and Harry Gregg knew him as well.

“He was a strong lad, and he went on to play for some good clubs and at good levels. He was a really likeable person who worked hard, and he stood out because of the way he handled the ball.

“He was coaching in the Westmorland League most recently, and this is such sad news to hear.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends.”

No photo description available.

Steve Finney – “When you find old photos from 20 years ago!!!”

Community manager John Halpin, who was co-manager with Dave Wilkes when Steve came to the club from Swindon said: “What a player he was, with such ability.

“He wasn’t boisterous, or anything like that, but he commanded respect in the dressing room because of the way he did things.

“A clever player he could take the ball under control with one touch and use it. He always had a picture in his mind.

“Everybody liked him, he was always there to give advice or an opinion, and this has come as a real shock.

“We send our condolences to his loved ones.”

Finney began his career as an apprentice with Preston North End, where he made his professional debut during 1991–92. After just six league appearances he moved to Premier League side Manchester City in February 1993, but he failed to make the first team while at Maine Road.

In the summer of 1995, Finney moved to Swindon Town, scoring 12 times in his first season to help them to the Division Two title. Apart from a loan spell with Cambridge United in 1997, Finney remained with Swindon until July 1998, when he moved to Carlisle United. But before the 1998–99 season had finished, Finney had moved on to Leyton Orient for a short spell with the London club.

Finney spent time on trial with Exeter City in the summer of 1999 and then dropped into non–league football with Barrow before returning to The Football League with struggling Chester City on 18 October 1999 after sending his CV to the club. During his 14-month stint at the club, he failed to score a competitive goal and was part of the side that were relegated to the Football Conference. In December 2000 he joined Altrincham, initially on loan. He made an instant impact with a hat–trick against Whitby Town.

STEVE FINNEY’S CAREER

Youth career
1990–1992 – Preston North End

Senior career
1992–1993 – Preston North End – 6 games (1 goal)
1993–1995 – Manchester City
1995–1998 – Swindon Town – 73 games (18 goals)
1997 → Cambridge United (loan) – 7 games (2 goals)
1998–1999 – Carlisle United – 33 games (6 goals)
1999 – Leyton Orient – 5 games (0 goals)
1999 – Barrow
1999–2000 – Chester City – 22 games (0 goals)
2000–2002 – Altrincham

Tributes were paid after hearing that the ex-Carlisle, Swindon, Chester, Preston, Leyton Orient player dies age 48…

Frank Beattie: RIP sad that Steve has been taken so young. Condolences to his Family.

Paul Butler: Sad loss of a really nice lad 😢

Jonathan Edwards: RIP sending condolences to his family

@justina94725807: RIP Steve 🙏

@gkirk1983: RIP 😔

@Invisiblebear84: Absolutely heartbreaking…. only 48! Of that era, to lose Hopper and now Finney, shows life is too short. Rip Steve 😞😞

@dphunt88: Oh no… this is just awful. RIP Steve Finney. One of my first childhood goalscoring heroes. Gutted. #WalkingInAFinneyWonderland #STFC

@BennettKaru: Was my favourite when I fell in love with Swindon. RIP Steve

@Alex_Jordan85: So sad,he was a gent was steve! RIP 🙏🏻💙

@PaulD_70: RIP far too young

@Dazzared36: OMG RIP Finney.

@pieman80: OMG, only one stevie Finney #stfc

@GlennRichards8: Rip Steve Finney. #stfc too young.

@cfoote87: Gutted to hear of Steve Finney’s passing. My first ever favourite footballer #stfc

@Leggett84: Oh man, that is terrible news. RIP. Walking along, singing a song… 😧

@matt_stfc1987: Walking in a Finney Wonderland…

@Nin0_Bar0ne: RIP Steve Finney

@MarcHiett: Gutted to hear about Steve Finney’s passing! All #stfc fans need to sing “there’s only one Steve Finney, one Steve Finney, walking in a Finney wonderland tomorrow” without fail tomorrow!

@DaveyChaps: Oh my god noooo… just heard the news that Steve Finney has died. Way to young 😢😢😢. One of my STFC favourite growing up. My word did he know where the goal is. RIP Steve, thoughts go out to his family and friends

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Carlisle United