Barnsley

David Prutton’s Championship predictions (26-28 June)

It’s time for Sky Sports pundit David Prutton’s EFL Championship score predictions and once again it never fails to be controversial.

The former Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Leeds, Swindon, Sheffield Wednesday and England U21 footballer who currently works as a presenter, pundit and commentator has given his thoughts on the outcome of all twelve Championship matches. See what he went with below…

BRENTFORD v WEST BROM

Prutton said: “If Brentford were to have any hope of automatic promotion then they needed to take maximum points from their first two games following the restart. They have done half the job by beating Fulham last week, and now they need to close the gap to West Brom.

“It is hard to talk too much about recent form, considering the three-month gap, but Slaven Bilic’s side have now failed to score in their last three Championship games. They will be sharper than they were against Birmingham.

“This could go either way, but I can’t split the pair. Score draw.”

SCORE PREDICTION: Brentford 2-2 West Brom

PRESTON v CARDIFF

Prutton said: “This is a huge game in the race for that sixth spot. Preston left the door open for the chasing pack by failing to beat Luton last Saturday, and Cardiff’s win against Leeds got them right on their coattails.

“Cardiff will be feeling full of confidence after that victory last Sunday, and it will be fascinating to see if Neil Harris goes all out for the win at Deepdale, or would happily take a draw away at a play-off rival. I think they could nick it.”

SCORE PREDICTION: Preston 1-2 Cardiff

LEEDS v FULHAM

Prutton said: “I feel like I’ve seen that Leeds performance at Cardiff so many times in the last couple of seasons. Dominate possession, a little error allows the opposition team to score with their first chance, and then they lack the cutting edge in attack to get back into the game. They need to bounce back quickly.

“Fulham would have been gutted to miss the chance to close the gap, having been beaten by Brentford. You feel this is a defining must-win game in their quest for automatic promotion. I reckon Leeds will just have too much for Fulham.”

SCORE PREDICTION: Leeds 2-1 Fulham

STOKE v MIDDLESBROUGH

Prutton said: “That was a huge late point for Stoke last Saturday. They trailed Reading for so long and it just gives them a little breathing space away from the bottom three.

“It’s all change at Middlesbrough as Neil Warnock replaced Jonathan Woodgate. They were abject against Swansea and it left the owner Steve Gibson with a choice to make. He has opted with experience to save his club from the drop. I think Warnock will inspire a narrow victory for Boro.”

SCORE PREDICTION: Stoke 0-1 Middlesbrough

BRISTOL CITY v SHEFFIELD WED

Prutton said: “Bristol City started well at Blackburn last Saturday but then fell away. They are still right in contention for a play-off spot but a couple more defeats could see that hope end.

“Sheffield Wednesday can’t really go up or down, but that late goal against Nottingham Forest last week shows they haven’t just turned up after the suspension to make up the numbers. Draw here for me.”

SCORE PREDICTION: Bristol City 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

NOTT’M FOREST v HUDDERSFIELD

Prutton said: “That late goal they conceded at Sheffield Wednesday probably put an end to Nottingham Forest’s slim hopes of automatic promotion this season. They now need to focus on making sure they hold on to a play-off spot.

“Huddersfield were really poor against Wigan last week and it is a result which has left them right back in the relegation mix. Forest don’t always do well at home against teams who sit in, but they should have enough to win this one.”

SCORE PREDICTION: Nottingham Forest 2-0 Huddersfield

CHARLTON v QPR

Prutton has predicted that the score will be 2-1 to Charlton, which would yet another huge three points in their bid for survival.

BARNSLEY v MILLWALL

Prutton has predicted that the score for this game will be a 1-0 win for Barnsley, again it would a big win as they look to avoid the drop.

DERBY v READING

Prutton has predicted that the score for this game will be a 2-0 win for Phillip Cocu’s men, who hope to get a playoff place come the end of the season.

BIRMINGHAM v HULL

Prutton has predicted that the score for this game will be a 0-0 draw, neither side have won in any of their last seven in all competitions.

SWANSEA v LUTON

Prutton has predicted that the score for this game will be a 1-1 draw, Luton are hoping to avoid the drop in the Championship table, whilst Swansea are a point off the playoffs.

WIGAN v BLACKBURN

Prutton has predicted that the score for this game will be a 2-1 win for Wigan, who are three points above the drop, whilst Rovers are just one points off the playoffs.

What do you make of David Prutton’s Championship score predictions? Let us know by commenting on our Facebook page HERE.

More in Barnsley