Connect with us

Non League

VIDEO: Cup match ends with players fighting with fans in the stands

Cup match ends with players fighting with fans in the stands over in Northern Ireland and footage uploaded onto social media has been going viral.

The incident came in the final stages of Ballymena United‘s 2-1 Irish Cup win over Warrenpoint Town which ended up being marred when a brawl broke out between players, supporters and stewards.

Warrenpoint goalkeeper Mark Byrne got involved with spectators during the remaining minutes of the game before getting sent off, it also saw a fence collapse and fans spill onto the field.

The incident happened shortly after Andy McGrory’s winning goal, the situation was diffused abd then the referee blew for full time.

The melee comes just one day after the Northern Ireland Football League released a statement highlighting fan behaviour.

12 Irish Premiership clubs agreed to take action to prevent the recent rise in alleged incidents of “unacceptable spectator behaviour”.

Warrenpoint Town boss Barry Gray says the incident: “…was not a good advert for football in Northern Ireland.”

“None of us want to see scenes like that in any shape or form. This is a family orientated club and a safe club,” added Gray.

“Today we are hoping that this unique situation can be resolved and if there is punishment to be handed out then it is done accordingly.

“Hopefully we will never see scenes like this again, and this is a stark lesson for everyone involved that there is no place in football for this.

“Like everyone, I saw lots of people coming together, but I couldn’t see why or how,” added Ballymena United manager David Jeffrey.

“My only concern was my own players and I wanted them to make sure that they were safe, get things calmed down and very quickly that happened.”

After seeing a cup match ends with players fighting with fans, social media users gave their reaction to it…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Non League