Arsenal

Ainsley Maitland-Niles in serious crash overturning G-class Mercedes on M25

Arsenal’s Ainsley Maitland-Niles had got himself in a serious crash by overturning his G-class Mercedes on the M25 on Wednesday.

The 23 year old top flight player thankfully walked away unhurt after being involved in a collision between Junctions 24 and 25 at around 6am, the Athletic states.

His club confirmed that Maitland-Niles was unharmed following the crash near Enfield, north London, with an update given.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police confirmed enquiries into the crash are still 'ongoing'. Pictured: The scene

A spokesman told the Mirror: ‘All we know having spoken to him is he was involved in an accident, he’s unhurt and he’s at home.’

Arsenal‘s club doctor contacted the midfielder following the incident to check on his welfare, according to reports.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police confirmed enquiries into the crash are still ‘ongoing’.

‘Police were called at approximately 06:10hrs on Wednesday, 30 June to reports of two cars in collision on the M25 anticlockwise carriageway at junction 25,’ a spokesman said.

‘Officers and London Ambulance Service attended. No reports of any injuries.’

The scene after Maitland-Niles was involved in a two-car collision on the M25 yesterday

Maitland-Niles was recently on loan at West Brom, where he made 12 appearances, but couldn’t prevent them from getting relegated to the Championship

He was not selected for Gareth Southgate’s Euro 2020 team, despite having five caps for England, and he has urged the Gunners to give him ‘clarity’ over his future, admitting it may be time to ‘kiss goodbye’ to the team.

After spending the second half of last season at the Baggies, he is set to return to Arsenal this summer, but has admitted his future with the team is unclear.

‘If I was to get a phone call from someone at Arsenal and they said they’d like a meeting tomorrow, then it would be easier that way,’ Maitland-Niles told the Telegraph.

‘They can tell me whether they’ve got plans to play me in the future or if they want to sell me. I’ve heard they want to make some space [in the squad] and some money so I’m not sure.’

Image

Maitland-Niles added: ‘I want a decision. I want some clarity. And then hopefully I can get to work with whoever I need to get to work with. Whether that is finding a new club or whether that is carrying on with my training.

‘I would like some kind of indication of what is happening. Where they [Arsenal] see me. If it works out it works out, if it doesn’t then kiss Arsenal goodbye.

‘It’s been a long journey but a proud one at that.’

Just seven months ago, a video went viral showing another Arsenal player crashing his £140k Mercedes G-Wagon vehicle also on the M25.

Joe Willock escaped unhurt after footage revealed a terrifying motorway smash, and it’s fair to say it’s reckless driving at best.

The 21-year-old can be seen crashes his £140,000 Mercedes G-Wagon vehicle into a barrier on an M25 slip road.

He ended up losing control at the wheel and his car somehow stayed upright before ending up in the bushes, creating quite a mess across the road surface.

The crash reportedly took place on one Saturday afternoon when Willock was on his way to training.

And he went on to play in Arsenal’s 0-0 draw at Leeds the following day, causing plenty of changes to the Premier League table, before being subbed off just before the hour mark.

An eyewitness told the Daily Mail: “I didn’t know who he was. He was a bit shaken, but fine.

“I got out of the car and I went to his window, which was blacked out. You could see that he was trying to reverse back out of the verge.

“The back wheel was missing but you could see the hub spinning out. He wound the window down and I said: ‘You can’t reverse’. He let out a big scream.

“I said, ‘You went around the corner a bit fast’.

“He said, ‘I know, I’m an idiot’. He said he was on his way to training, for Arsenal.

“He got out and said, ‘Do you think it’s a write off?’. I said, ‘I’m no expert, but I think so – you have half a tree in your front bumper’.”

Fans reacted after seeing Ainsley Maitland-Niles in a serious crash overturning his G-class Mercedes on the M25…

@UninvitedPodAFC: Wow that’s scary! So glad AMN was unharmed. Hope those involved are all safe and well.

@stephen72413113: He lost control from laughing when he hears about Spurs new manager

@teobalthor: Wow hope everyone involved are unharmed ❤️

@WBAReport: Christ. Hope he’s alright

@TheRainbowStand: Jeez 🙏

@aviv_lavi: Thank god he is okay, hope no one was hurt 🙏

@Dublingunner46: Willock driving a similar motor crashed two yrs ago on the motorway. Either they are reckless drivers or those motors are dodgy as Fuq!

@fgvwba1878: Oh dear

@josh_t_j_: It’s a G wagon that shit isn’t dodgy

@AFCRRE: @MaitlandNiles hope your okay mate

@Gambeanosnitch: Was he overtaking in the middle refusing to use the right lane?

@SamBenney0: Fucking idiot

@TheRealPugs: Silly fucking prick

@TomLakeman1: Get rid of the dopey twat pretty please @m8arteta

@Pramod_AFC: I fucking hate drunk drivers. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. It’s extremely irresponsible and dangerous to other people. Make no mistake, it’s their choice. They shouldn’t be allowed to drive again.

More in Arsenal