Cambridge United

Wrexham pull off signing of the summer with 32 goal striker

Wrexham pull of the signing of the summer with a 32 goal striker who set the EFL on fire for the 2020/21 League Two campaign.

The Red Dragons have signed striker Paul Mullin on a three-year deal, after many a rumour over the last few months that Championship and League One sides were after him.

He scored 32 times in 46 games for Cambridge United last season, winning the League Two Player of the Year Award and the golden boot, as well as having a stand named after him.

CLUB STATEMENT

Wrexham AFC are delighted to confirm the signing of prolific striker Paul Mullin on a three-year deal after he left Cambridge United.

The Merseyside-born forward scored 32 goals in 46 games to help Cambridge to promotion from League Two last season – winning the Golden Boot and breaking the League Two goalscoring record.

The 26-year-old was also named League Two Player of the Year, having earned promotion from the division for the second time in three seasons.

On signing for Wrexham, he said: “I’m made up, it’s been a long summer for me and now I can look forward to the season ahead, and I’m excited to get going at Wrexham.

“The ambition of the Club attracted me here. Rob McElhenney gave me a call a couple of nights ago – at that time, I wasn’t too sure about making the move – but once he outlined the plans for the Club, and the plans for me in the future, it was something I really wanted to be a part of and something that just excited me that much that I had to come.

“He really sold the Club to me. What they have planned for the Club is magnificent and something I want to be a part of.”

Mullin played youth football for Liverpool, before signing for Huddersfield Town. He made his professional debut for Morecambe, scoring 28 goals in 140 matches between 2014 and 2917.

After a season at Swindon Town, Mullin was part of the Tranmere Rovers squad which won promotion from League Two in the 2018/19 season and scored 12 goals in 56 games across two seasons.

He played six games on loan at Cambridge in the 2019/20 season before the campaign’s early end, but signed a permanent deal with the Us for last season.

His record-breaking season also saw him break Cambridge’s goalscoring record and with cup competitions included, he finished the year with 34 goals in 50 appearances.

Mullin added: “All the way through my career, I always believed what I achieved last season was possible so it wasn’t a surprise to me.

“I just want to look to continue that form now, and carry on into next season and score just as many goals here now.

“I’d love to score goals, that’s what I want to do, but first and foremost I’ll go and work as hard as I can, for the fans of the Club, and hopefully I can score the goals to help us achieve what we want to do here.”

Wrexham BOSS Phil Parkinson explained that it was more than just Mullin’s goalscoring record which made him a key target too.

He said: “I’m delighted to welcome Paul to the Club. He comes in after a terrific promotion season with Cambridge last season.

“He obviously brings a goal threat but most importantly he’s a team player. He brings a great work ethic and the mentality which we need at the Club.

“He brings the goals, but equally Paul’s attitude and work ethic is important for what we are trying to build here at Wrexham AFC.”

On the signing, Executive Director Humphrey Ker said: “The Board have been delighted with the Club’s recruitment to date in preparation for the season.

“We always wanted to make a signing that would stop people in their tracks and feel this signing fills that requirement.

“It is testimony to the persuasive nature and skill of all those involved in bringing Paul to the Club that we landed a target most would have felt was unachievable and we were delighted to provide the financial support to secure his signing.”

MULLIN’S CAREER:

Youth career
Everton
Liverpool

Senior career
2013–2014 – Huddersfield Town
2014 → Vauxhall Motors (loan) – 4 games (0 goals)
2014–2017 – Morecambe – 122 games (25 goals)
2017–2018 – Swindon Town – 40 games (6 goals)
2018–2020 – Tranmere Rovers – 42 games (8 goals)
2020 → Cambridge United (loan) – 6 games (2 goals)
2020–2021 – Cambridge United – 46 games (32 goals)
2021– Wrexham

SEE MORE: Ex-Premier League player becomes seventh-tier club’s latest signing

Fans reacted as Wrexham pull off the signing of the summer with 32 goal striker

@RhysGri52817900: Wow. What a signing. We do now have about 7 players who play up front though

@ellis_platten: MY GOD. That is an UNREAL signing for that level 😂😂

@Liam_ytfc: Can we skip opening day please

@DN35GTFC: A lot of clubs in this league going for it next season. Probably the toughest it’s ever been. #GTFC

@TaylorBAFC: There’s some serious money being spent in the National League. Clubs like Sutton and ourselves have proven that you can do it on a small(er) budget. Hopefully there will be a few surprises from those other clubs this year to upset the apple-cart.

@Darlojames3: Fair fucking play ahahah

@Leasky_1_5: When there’s no wage cap at national league level this is going to happen more often, unbelievable signing for them, absolutely believe national league is stronger than league 2

@LukeyRoberts: Carved out a potentially career defining move after a great season and has absolutely fucked it 🤦🏻‍♂️

@lufctw: Rejected a new contract in League One to go play National League. What?

@Orient_Ed: The new Salford.

@heynowfish: Jesus fucking Christ!

@MattBcafc_: Dropping down two divisions for money. Nice

@zionhopkins1: Hahahahaha up we go

@NiallLCFC: Might aswell give them the trophy now!

@MumfordOlly: Hang about so he’s scored 32 in league two last year and he’s dropping a division 😂

@bramley_roger: What wages?? Bet it’s around 10k a week.

@StevePearsonUK: What a signing. Bring it on.

@BobbyCUFC03: HOLD ON

@redfern438: Boom what a signing

@wrexhamfc28: Kinel some signing

@BGiles2004: How you managed that one

@welshy1000: Whattttt

@m_w890: OH MY FUCKING GOD

@OOCSwindonTown: Imagine naming a stand after a player who declines a new contract to drop 2 divisions below 😂

@GaSalso: Some statement of intent that

@Nocontextred: Just going for a wank, cya lads

@RedMoshMan_RTID: How on earth did you guys pull that off. I’m speechless

@__lg95__: HOLY SHIT

@CarlosS1kRR: Who can blame the fella, why all the hate. Not a long career and he’s hardly going to be a millionaire in L1/2 so if they’re offering him big money that gives him decent stability in life, why knock him.

@Anthony27662569: Announce promotion

@AJoshMossWorld: Holy fuck, let’s fucking gooooo

@ColinPep1: Now that’s an excellent signing!!

@DirkTurk: Great signing. If Salford can do it then I don’t begrudge a proper club like Wrexham doing it. Good luck