Tributes paid as former England manager Terry Venables dies aged 80

Tributes have been paid this weekend as former England manager Terry Venables dies aged 80 after having a long battle with illness.

He was a former footballer and manager, as well as an author. It was in the 1960s and 1970s that he played for the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers, and won two caps for the Three Lions.

As a club manager, Venables won the Second Division title with Crystal Palace in 1979, reached the 1982 FA Cup Final with QPR, won the Second Division in 1983, lifted the La Liga trophy with Barcelona in 1985 and reached the 1986 European Cup Final and guided Tottenham Hotspur to FA Cup victory in 1991.

He also managed Middlesbrough and Leeds United, while having a spell as manager of the England national team from 1994 to 1996, reaching the semi-finals of the 1996 European Championships, and also managed Australia from 1997 to 1998.

A statement issued on behalf of his family said: “We are totally devastated by the loss of a wonderful husband and father who passed away peacefully yesterday after a long illness.

“We would ask that privacy be given at this incredibly sad time to allow us to mourn the loss of this lovely man who we were so lucky to have had in our lives.”

Richard Bevan, League Managers’ Association (LMA) chief executive said: “The LMA is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of LMA member and former LMA President Terry Venables.

“Our thoughts are very much with Yvette and all of Terry’s family at this time.

Ex-England captain Gary Lineker tweeted: “[I’m] devastated to hear that Terry Venables has died. The best, most innovative coach that I had the privilege and pleasure of playing for.

“He was much more, though, than just a great manager. He was vibrant, he was charming, he was witty, he was a friend. He’ll be hugely missed. Sending love and condolences to Yvette and the family. RIP Terry.”

Alan Shearer said: “Extremely sad news the great Terry Venables has passed away. RIP Boss. I owe you so much. You were amazing. 🙏🏻🥲 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 ❤️”

Chris Kamara: “Gutted to hear Terry Venables has passed away. Top player & a fantastic manager 👏🏼👏🏼 I got to know the person & he was a great bloke. Great memories of being with him in his club Scribes in Kensington back in the late 90s. RIP Terry 🙏🏾”

Peter Reid: “Terry Venables Legend RIP 💙🙏”

Stan Collymore: “Incredibly sad to hear of the passing of Terry Venables today. He my dream come true of representing my country which I could never really thank him enough for. Vivacious, funny, a superb coach, multi talented, a man who really lived life to it’s fullest. Rest in Peace, Terry.”

Gary Neville: “So sorry to hear the news of my very first England coach, Terry Venables. A man who gave me a chance to play for my country and became without a shadow of doubt my number one England coach in my whole career. There were three things that were important to me about Venables. The first is when we hear people that play for Pep Guardiola now say that he can call the outcome of a game in training a few days before the match arrives, Terry Venables had that very same capability, he’d come through the Barcelona system. In Euro 96 as a right back, I played as a conventional right back in the first match, the right of a back three in parts of the second match against Scotland and as a right winger when we were in possession through our goalkeeper in the third match against Holland and in the fourth match against Spain in the quarter final as a right wing back. The ability that we had to change systems during matches and from game to game was incredible, it blew my mind. England certainly needed more like him and it was a real sadness when he left at the end of Euro 96, I felt it never got as good again for England as it was under him.The second thing was that he was an unbelievable personality and character, larger than life. He was someone who was a players man, looked after his players, stood up for his players in big situations like the pre-96 trip to Hong Kong and the dentist chair incident. He was someone who the players trusted and had great faith in and he always spoke openly and he was a personality that was far too big for the then rigid and stiff FA football association and that’s why they got rid of him after Euro 96 and why the relationship ended. The third thing is what all great coaches need. He had an unbelievable ruthlessness and clinical side to him. We had brilliant leaders in that dressing room like Ince, Adams, Shearer, Platt, Gascoigne, Southgate and Seaman. He handled them all really strongly and they all knew who the boss was. There were many times where he would come in at half-time and call out one of the senior players and there were few England managers who could do that and Terry had that quality. I sit here today thinking back to my special times with Terry and can say he is without doubt the most technically gifted British coach we’ve ever produced.”

David Seaman: Dear Terry, you’ll be sadly missed, you told me I was your England Number one and I’ll never ever forget that, you were by far the best England manager and the nation will always remember the way you managed us at Euro ‘96 – great man, great loss💔 #terryvenables

Clinton Morrison: “He came to Crystal Palace and every player was in awe of him. He came with all of his England coaching staff and he had that aura about him but he wasn’t only a top manager he was a great guy as well.”

Tottenham: “The Club is extremely saddened to learn of the passing of former player and manager Terry Venables. Our deepest condolences are with Terry’s friends and family at this incredibly difficult time. In tribute, we shall hold a minute’s applause prior to kick-off and our players will wear black armbands during this afternoon’s fixture against Aston Villa. Rest in peace, Terry.”

Aston Villa: “Everyone at Aston Villa is deeply saddened by the passing of former England manager Terry Venables. Ahead of kick-off against Terry’s former club Tottenham Hotspur this afternoon, a minute’s applause will take place in his memory. The thoughts and condolences of all at the club are with his family and friends at this time.”

Youth career
1958–1960 – Chelsea

Senior career
1960–1966 – Chelsea
1966–1969 – Tottenham Hotspur
1969–1974 – Queens Park Rangers
1974–1975 – Crystal Palace
1974 → Canterbury-Marrickville Olympic (loan)
1976 → St Patrick’s Athletic (loan)

International career
England Schoolboy
England Youth
1960 – England Amateur
1962–1964 – England U23
1964 – England
The Football League XI

Managerial career
1976–1980 – Crystal Palace
1980–1984 – Queens Park Rangers
1984–1987 – Barcelona
1987–1991 – Tottenham Hotspur
1994–1996 – England
1997–1998 – Australia
1998–1999 – Crystal Palace
2000–2001 – Middlesbrough (joint with Bryan Robson)
2002–2003 – Leeds United
2006–2007 – England (assistant)

Honours

Player
Chelsea
Football League Cup: 1964–65
Football League Second Division runner-up: 1962–63

Tottenham Hotspur
FA Cup: 1966–67
FA Charity Shield: 1967 (shared)

Queens Park Rangers
Football League Second Division runner-up: 1972–73

Manager
Crystal Palace
Football League Second Division: 1978–79
Football League Third Division third-place promotion: 1976–77

Queens Park Rangers
Football League Second Division: 1982–83
FA Cup runner-up: 1981–82

Barcelona
La Liga: 1984–85
Copa de la Liga: 1986
European Cup runner-up: 1985–86

Tottenham Hotspur
FA Cup: 1990–91
FA Charity Shield: 1991 (shared)

Australia
FIFA Confederations Cup runner-up: 1997

Individual
Don Balón Award: 1985
English Football Hall of Fame: 1997 (inducted)
Premier League Manager of the Month: January 2001

More and more tributes were paid as the much loved former England manager Terry Venables dies aged 80…

@StefromBurnley: Gutted about Terry Venables passing away, lovely fella and a terrific manager. RIP sir.

@jit_singh99: RIP Terry Venables! Growing up, he always looked like one of the geezers in his mgt career. Especially early on. Played some great football

@ritasj65: #RIP Terry Venables oh how we all loved Euro 96 ❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

@runnerglyn1: Terry Venables RIP.. unforgettable memories of Euro 96 brought every football fan back in love with the beautiful game, a great player aswell as a very good coach 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

@notsouniquename: I was lucky enough to meet Terry Venables at a hotel he owned in Spain. He was a very friendly guy and very happy to talk football. RIP

@bethXXL: So sad to hear about Terry Venables. Euro 96 is one of my earliest football memories 🥺

@JohnHandley93: R.I.P Terry Venables, one of the best England managers we had. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🌹

@ryanmn84: RIP Terry Venables – Euro 96 will never leave my memories. Still one of the best England performances ever against the Dutch that day. Rest easy chief 🫡🥹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

@Cockney_Villa: RIP Terry Venables. Right up there with best England coaches ever. That Euro 96 squad loves long in the memory. Always got his teams playing the beautiful game in the way it should be. 😢

@Paul_S82: Saddened to hear of the passing of Terry Venables – Euro 96 will always be in my memory and Venables came as close as anyone to winning a tournament with England #RIPTerryVenables

@PaulaL1882: So many good memories of Terry Venables, he was the manager in charge when I first started going to games, and the one who led us out to win our most recent FA Cup. RIP El Tel 💙🤍

@PaulPonting: Sad news about Terry Venables passing. Met him and George Best many years ago at a football dinner were both hilarious with their stories. Was a hugely likeable and relatable football legend

@cfcunofficial: Met Terry Venables once, at the airport on the way back from Milan. Was happy to chat about the game we’d been to watch, a Milan derby in 2003. Lovely guy. RIP Terry 💙