Connect with us

English Football League

Scunthorpe release player who assaulted police officer in drunken rage at fast food restaurant

Scunthorpe United have chosen to release a player who assaulted a police officer in a drunken rage at drive-thru fast food restaurant Taco Bell.

The 25 year old winger Ryan Colclough, who signed for the League Two side from Wigan Athletic in 2018, is alleged to have lashed out on the 24th of June.

He has since been let go by the Lincolnshire outfit, who have released a very short statement on him being released.


Scunthorpe United can confirm Ryan Colclough has left the club by mutual consent.

The club will not make any further comment.


Cops were called after reports of a man behaving in a drunk and disorderly manner at the Doncaster based Herten Triangle retail park in South Yorkshire.

They arrived at the scene before 11pm and tried to arrest the footballer, however a scrap played out and Colclough allegedly hit an officer leaving him with injuries to his face.

He damaged one officer’s glasses in the process of the scuffle and is further charged with criminal damage.

Colclough of Doncaster, South Yorkshire, is set to appear before Doncaster Magistrates’ Court on the 24th of November.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: “Ryan Colclough has been charged with assault on an emergency service worker and criminal damage following an incident on June 24.

“At 10:50pm officers attended the Taco Bell drive through at the Herten Triangle retail park following reports of a man acting drunk and disorderly in a public place.

“During an arrest attempt, an officer was assaulted and sustained injuries to his face and damage to his glasses.”

Colclough signed for the League Two side in 2018 and signed a three-year deal. That is now in jeopardy.

He came through the youth ranks at Crewe Alexandra before making his professional debut for the side in 2012. 

He was part of the Crewe team that lifted the EFL Trophy when the Alex beat Southend United 2-0 at Wembley in April 2013.

He joined Wigan in January 2016, got his first Latics goal a month later against Bury before being loaned to Milton Keynes Dons in August 2016.

He got a hat-trick with MK in a 4-1 away win at Fleetwood Town before being Wigan took advantage of the recall clause to the DW Stadium in January 2017.

On the 21st of November 2017, he scored two goals before being substituted to see the birth of his son.

He made 26 league appearance for the Latics during their promotion-winning campaign before joining Scunthorpe in 2018, where he then went on to make 37 appearances, scoring twice.

A Scunthorpe spokesman said they are aware of Colclough’s court date.

He added: “This is being fully investigated by the club and we will make no further comment at this stage.” 

Fans reacted prior to seeing that Scunthorpe release the player who assaulted a police officer in a drunken rage at the fast food restaurant…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in English Football League