Scottish club ‘keeping heads held high’ following 51-0 cup defeat

Scottish club St Machar Thistle say they are ‘keeping heads held high’ following 51-0 cup defeat at the hands of AC Mill Inn Academy.

Aberdeen based outfit St Machar Thistle travelled to Stonehaven to take on AC Mill Inn Academy in the first round of the Scottish Amateur Cup on Saturday.

They had been three men down before kick off with only ten players showing up and two trialists unable to to take part, so this meant they had to start with eight men, as per STV.

They also were without a goalkeeper for the game, so in came captain and midfielder Eoin Devlin, who had just returned from a broken ankle.

To make matters worse, they went down to just seven men during the game and found themselves 25-0 down by half time.

The second half saw another 26 goals were conceded with AC Mill still taking advantage of their opponent’s issues, going on to win 51-0.

After the game Machar Thistle, who had only been formed two months ago, praised AC Mill, who also defeated them 19-0 the weekend before.

The club said via their Facebook page: “Ach. Hard one to take, boys tried their hardest playing an 8 (down to 7) vs 11 and can’t fault their efforts.

“Mill Academy deserve all the flowers, blew us away with a first class attacking performance, fair play to all involved for the home side, taught us lesson after lesson and we wish them the very best for their season and in the next round of the Scottish Cup.

“We keep moving on with our heads held high.

“Mon ih Machar.”

St Machar Thistle add: “Special shout out to ‘oor capt’n Eoin who threw the keeper shirt on today and gave it a proper bash – Shame your contacts didn’t fit and was forced into the Edgar Davids look though! 👏 ✊”

“Any other team I think they’d walk,” said manager Cameron Ashwood, as per BBC Sport. “We just sat down and said, ‘let’s try enjoy ourselves here’.

“They were loving it. There were smiles all around and that’s all I can ask for before we get to where we want to be.

“Results like this do happen, there’s no need to shame away from it. Every club will have moments like this when you’re starting out.

“I went around the boys to ask who was going to do it,” Ashwood said of his goalkeeping issue.

“It wasn’t a case of me having to pick him, he put his hand straight up and said he’d go in goal. It was very brave of him.”

“I’m letting some lads play football, get out the house for a bit to talk with people, interact, it makes it all worth it,” Ashwood said.

“The majority of the feedback I’ve been getting is positive. It’s also a lesson to ourselves. We’re an example of when it goes wrong, this is what happens.”

Social media users reacted with the Scottish club Machar Thistle ‘keeping heads held high’ following their 51-0 cup defeat…

@GilesGraeme:
I have the utmost respect for St Machar Thistle here for 3 reason
1- They had 8 players and didnt scratch
2-They have struggled this season yet turned up and played every game
3- That’s a classy post. Most clubs would have said nothing
Fair play guys

@joemctaggart67: It’s my best mates’ team, fair to say they’re scunnered but no sign of letting up anytime soon. Good on them

@gus_tawse: Poor from the home team not to take the foot off the gas or even go 8v8 once they got a twenty goal lead!

@MichaelHMarlow: No goalkeeper either, had to shove a midfielder in goal and of their 8 players, only 1 was an actual defender.