Connect with us

English Football League

Referee halts League Two match for 45 MINUTES due to snow

Referee Antony Coggins halts a League Two match for 45 MINUTES, causing plenty of mocking from fanbases on social media on Saturday.

Port Vale took on Morecambe at Vale Park, however the game was stopped immediately on the 28th minute because of snow and hail.

Vale were seeking a sixth consecutive league victory for the first time since 1996 whilst the Shrimps were hoping to pick up points to climb in the automatic promotion places of the League Two table.

As the players stood paying tribute to Prince Philip before kick off, the weather conditions got worse, players got soaked and the pitch was covered with what was coming down from the sky.

First test of the afternoon for Scotty Brown who got down well to stop Stockton’s effort on the half volley.

Stockton cut a dangerous ball across the face of Brown’s goal but there was no Shrimps player there to meet it.

There had been appeals for a penalty from the away side but nothing was given.

David Worrall hit a hopeful ball over the top and it required some attention from the Morecambe defence, with Devante Rodney pressing high.

A stunning slide tackle from Worrall after some attentive tracking back to halt the Morecambe counter attack.

Manny Oyeleke received the first yellow card of the match for clashing with another player just past the 25 minute mark, with the persisting snowfall proving a sticking point as both sides try and get the ball down to play.

Port Vale then confirmed via Twitter: “The referee converses with both managers as the snow continues to hammer down and settle at Vale Park. The players are now walking off the field as the lines are cleared.”

Play resumed at 4:15pm following an inspection, mainly thank to the cracking job by ‘Speedy and his Ground Staff’ to clear the pitch.

Following a 45-minute break due to excessive snowfall, play resumed with a clear pitch and no snow in sight.

Port vale broke the deadlock on the 37th minute thanks to a free-kick from Tom Conlon which is expertly delivered, with an unmarked Nathan Smith nodding past Letheren.

However for punters using Ladbrokes, the bookmakers still had the game suspended long after the game restarted, causing frustration to their betting slips.

As the referee halts a League Two match for 45 MINUTES, fans responded to that news with some mocking…

@edward_w97: One to tell the grandkids this. I was there watching when Port Vale v Morecambe was delayed because of snow, in April…

@innitJacob: How embarrassing 🀣

@Mlabus5: Ermmm why can’t they play? Nothing wrong with the pitch.

@harry_statter: Tinpot πŸ‘πŸΌ

@masoms: Why does it need 30 minutes? Only a bit of snow.

@JohnDalby7: You haven’t got an orange ball have you πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚β„οΈβ„οΈπŸ‘

@MeelayyB: Pretty sure I witnessed worse conditions that time against Stevenage! Was sooo cold as well lmao

@JackFreemanPVFC: This is embarrassing

@threesacrowdpod: It’s April

@Matty_Neumann: How on earth are you going to halt a game because of that…

@WayneCo17490675: How embarrassing. It’s abit of snow

@maccaowl: Da feck πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@Seagie85: It’s April FFS

@JoshRoberts1988: Why!? Get the orange ball out, and carry on. What a load of nonsense.

@Kemble24: soft as shit. Get on with it.

@Chaleewalvin: Taking the piss

@papah6969: Can’t hack a bit of snow??? Pussies!

@VIKINGJP74: What crazy weather in spring 😳

@JonW999: Bring out the orange ball!

@brumymag: Pathetic

@tashkentterror: Almost the middle of April.

@Sporting_Jim: So #PortVale game has been suspended for snow…. WHAT SNOW! nothing here and I’m 9 miles up the road.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in English Football League