Reading respond to EFL charge for late payment; also keen on 40 year old manager

Reading respond to the latest EFL charge handed to them for late payment; the club are also keen on 40 year old manager Ruben Selles.

According to the Reading Chronicle, Reading is prepared to “defend” the punishment brought against them because they paid wages late three times.

The EFL charged the Royals for failing to pay their players’ wages in full and on time ‘on or about 31 October 2022′, 30 November 2022′ and 28 April 2023’.

During this period, the staff was also not paid in full.

In a letter to employees, seen by The Reading Chronicle, Dayong Pang, the CEO, revealed that the club was ‘prepared’ to defend the charges.

“Myself and our owner, Mr Dai, were very disappointed to learn of the EFL charge which has been issued today, following the late payment of players’ wages – this is a charge we are prepared to defend,” reads one paragraph of said letter.

The club have until Thursday the 29th of June to respond.

Also in the letter, Pang says staff will be paid in full and on time this month ‘and going forward.’

“I fully appreciate that – due to complex and unforeseen cashflow issues we are tackling – staff payroll has unfortunately been impacted on a couple of these occasions. This is unacceptable and I would like to personally reassure you that wages will be satisfied in full, as normal, come the end of this month and going forward.”

Supporters are getting set to protest after growing frustration over the recent EFL ruling.

Supporters Trust at Reading (STAR) has teamed up Club 1871, Elm Park Royals and Proud Royals in order to organise actions for supporters against the regime.

“Coordinated fan efforts are ongoing to respond to the situation unfolding at Reading FC.

“We will communicate further once a plan is in place.”

After negotiations with Chris Wilder broke down, the club is said to be in discussions with Ruben Selles about becoming its new manager.

Royals looked they they were on course to appoint Wilder, but the club wanted some changes, such as changes to his backroom staff, which caused a breakdown in the negotiations.

Danny Cowley and Steve Cotterill were also mentioned as candidates for the position. At the weekend it was reported that former Oxford manager Karl Robinson had snubbed the Royals.

The Royals have a dark cloud looming over them, currently battling financial difficulties, continue to search for a replacement manager having been without a team manager for over two months after axing Paul Ince.

rdg.today state that Reading has now identified former Southampton boss Selles to be the top candidate for the managerial vacancy.

He is said to have visited the club’s Bearwood’s training ground, and remains in contact with them.

Selles was assistant manager for the Saints when Ralph Hasenhuttl was in charge from June 2022, and then he was appointed as interim after Nathan Jones had been dismissed.

The Spaniard has been appointed Southampton’s boss for the remainder of the season after a 1-0 victory away at Chelsea in an attempt to boost the club’s Premier League survival chances.

In 17 matches, he managed to win only two games. Southampton finished bottom of the table with 25 points – sitting  11 points from safety.

Southampton has confirmed that they won’t be extending Selles’ contract. They are now seeking to appoint another manager in preparation for Championship play next season.

This is what fans are saying as Reading respond to the EFL charge for late payment; while also keen on 40 year old manager Ruben Selles…

@Stephen_Noakes: While Ruben Selles seems like an absolutely terrible appointment, I’m also not hugely upset over Wilder, we shouldn’t just be bending over to let him rip everything up just because he was the top target.

@timosullivan81: Selles is a decent bloke. Was thrown in at the deep end with us and was on a hiding to nothing. Got good results against the top 6 but in matches we should have won we were awful and his team selection was very questionable. Players liked him though

@fenners100: To be honest I’d take any manager at this stage, beggars can’t be choosers

@benfirth: I mean, is anyone else thinking we may as well have got @Noelhunt20 back in to see if he can build something? #readingfc

@Luke1871_: Another catastrophic balls up. Why Selles? We are in the process where we need to build a completely new team and we need a manager with EFL experience to help us do that and take us back up again. It is nonsensical to appoint Selles

@Carwaft: From an outside perspective, think rid of your owner most important thing. New optimism when that happens. With recent events, I’m surprised your owner remains. Does he go to matches?

@OxfordRoadRoyal: This will be our third appointment in a row where the manager has very, very little or non-recent coaching experience

@lewie74: Absolutely rubbish appointment if it happens. I’m done with this club until he sells up.

@Michael_BHunter: I can’t focus on rumors. I am so burnt out and upset at the state of the club.

@Rhys_1871: Not going to say anything this time after wilder

@MikePea73444529: Yet another appointment of someone with no experience or success at the level we will be playing at. Yongge never learns. We must get him out.

@Dobchecks: Another dog shit appointment if true. One win at Chelsea got him the gig to the end of the season and he took Saints down. Spent most of his career so far as an assistant. Typical Dai appointment!

@davew1952: This owner doesn’t seem to learn a thing. No wonder we’re a sinking ship.

@StevenK37506094: Why are we looking at him as manager? No EFL experience what so ever. And that’s what annoys me so much, it’s just another shot in the dark. He might work out great but there is nothing to suggest he will. #readingfc #DaiOut

@reece_w99: Christ they’re desperate

@stevejrex: Yeah that sounds like Reading. 11% win rate & no experience of league 1. Makes Steve Cotterill look good.

@GW55BER: So are we just as well keeping Noel as manager as hes got just as much experience as this guy? Such a downgrade from Wilder 🤦🏻