fbpx
Connect with us

English Football League

Peterborough player mocks own club and manager Darren Ferguson after Sheffield Wednesday defeat

Peterborough player mocks own club and manager Darren Ferguson after the playoff defeat to Sheffield Wednesday this week.

Christy Pym, who has been on loan at Mansfield, lands himself in trouble over comments he made after the club he’s owned by, was knocked out of the League One playoffs on Thursday by a stunning comeback and penalty shootout from Sheffield Wednesday, see more on that HERE.

Posh massively self-imploded at Hillsborough by throwing away a 4-0 aggregate advantage from the first leg of their semi-final.

In playoff history, no side has ever come back from a more than two-goal deficit, then the Owls scored four times including a last minute equaliser during the eighth minute of stoppage time to force the match into extra-time.

Callum Paterson equalised seven minutes later, after Peterborough had scored an own goal in the 105th minute. Come the end of extra time. the score was 5-1 (5-5 aggregate) and a penalty shootout would be needed to determine who went to Wembley.

Sheffield Wednesday scored all their penalties, with Jack Hunt’s shot sealing the victory after Dan Butler’s attempt hit with crossbar. This was one of the biggest comebacks ever in EFL history.

Christy Pym, a 28 year old goalkeeper, who is still under contract with Posh, took to social media after they lost 5-3 in the penalty shootout to Sheffield Wednesday.

Pym posted a message to his story that simply said “managerial class” and included the eyes emoji, a smiling face, and the laughing face.

He spent the last six months of 2021/22 on loan at his former club Stevenage, and this entire season with League Two outfit Mansfield, who just missed the playoffs.

Pym has a one-year contract left on his three-year contract, which he signed after Peterborough was promoted to the Championship.

Pym played 94 games for Posh across all competitions, and had been their number one goalkeeper for the majority of their promotion-winning campaign in 2020/21.

However, he wasn’t starting when Posh secured promotion with Josef Bursik filling in for six matches on an emergency loan following Pym’s injury.

Ferguson will meet with club owners in the near future to discuss his future.

Darren Ferguson said after the game: “This place is a rare place in League One and that’s why I knew the tie wasn’t over at 4-0. Our aim was to get the first goal. I knew if they got the momentum, their fans could drag them across the line. The way the game has ended is so raw. We’ve got a chance to clear it out of the box and they score with the last kick of the game.

“The referee was desperate to give them another opportunity. He plays 90 seconds more, there may be another 30, but not 90 seconds. I don’t want to sound bitter as it’s not the ref’s fault we’ve lost, but he’s got to do his job.

“And on top of that Ephron Mason-Clark is clean through in extra time and Flint brought him down. The decision is disgraceful. It’s a red card, but all that aside, I have to congratulate Sheffield Wednesday as they’ve done enough over two legs to beat us.

“When you make the decisions we did, it can be hard to get momentum back. I’ve seen far better teams than us lose it psychologically.”

“In the first half we weren’t ruthless enough,” he added.

“We have four good opportunities and didn’t take one of them, we knew that. As a team they are just massive, they just keep bringing bigger players on and they just launch it into the box, just through pure size, I said that after the first game. We didn’t have any complacency, we prepared, we took penalties but unfortunately football is a cruel game and this is a cruel night.”

He added: “Even in extra time, after we went ahead, I still felt we needed another goal and unfortunately we didn’t get one. We had to keep the ball and make them run and when we did that, we had more legs than them but, in the end, we couldn’t cope with their physicality.

“We had prepared for penalties because I had to be as thorough as possible. Unfortunately, one player had to make a mistake that would cost his team and unfortunately, it was one of ours.

“Unfortunately, there’s not a team in this league like with this sort of atmosphere and we just couldn’t control it tonight.

“It’s a cruel game. For these young players, they need to remember this.”

He said via the club website: “On behalf of the management team and the players, I want to thank the supporters for their incredible backing of the team, particularly in the last couple of weeks at Barnsley on the final day and in the play-off games against Sheffield Wednesday. The atmosphere at the Weston Homes Stadium in the first leg was one of the best in all my years that I have been with the club.

“I think it is important to also give a lot of credit to the players for their efforts. They have been fantastic since I came back to the club and came a minute away from reaching the final of the play-offs in a hugely competitive league.”

This is what fans had to say as Peterborough player Christy Pym mocks his own club and manager Darren Ferguson after the Sheffield Wednesday defeat…

@PaddySkinhead: Shows his level of professionalism. I’m sure clubs looking at him would have seen it.

@MNurrish: Should be sacked today and no more wages from the club. He deleted the message but was too late, as seen by many angry Posh fans

@RichardHulme7: Every direct free kick conceded felt like a penalty with Pym in goal. There’s a reason he went to L2

@adamfarr01: He was right tho lol

@TobyWoody: Christy Pym, of which it is often said, “oh yes I remember him … didn’t realise we still had him … out on loan because he’s a) not good enough and b) he has a bad attitude … oh that Christy Pym”.

@emmaverde9: They should keep him for the last year of his contract and loan him out to non league

@MaxCasper10001: Would that come under gross misconduct? 😏

@craigDLyons: He has history of doing this. Sack him.

@CHAMM24: Childish from a so called professional. Still a POSH player so should be fined IMO for mocking not just the manager, but the players, the owners and the supporters. @DMAC102

@mark9697: Proves what an absolute classless prick he is

@DavidWray1950: Nobody seems to want to buy Christy Pym. I wonder why? Oh yes – crap keeper and just plain trouble in the dressing room.

@PUFCChris: Christy Pym getting pelters. But, let’s be honest…. He’s not wrong

@Joseph_H_2002: Christy Pym is a fucking rat. Pass it on

@clarkbatfan: Christy Pym can take snipes all he wants but he should probably remember that we had to exaggerate an injury to him so that we could get in a keeper capable of getting us over the line to promotion because the useless prick couldn’t catch a fucking cold.

@AlexBatt: Christy Pym is a weirdo. #PUFC

@kempson_luke: We’re all Christy Pym aren’t we?

@MollyShep: Terrible form that from a “professional”🥴

@RustyhudsonMarc: He’s right tho…ridiculous changes at ht cost us

@James59653408: But he’s not wrong 😂

@SteveDilley1: In fairness, that’s some top trolling. Not sure he wants to come back…….😬

@beckyBoro: That’s fucking jokes tbf

@exetercity1904: Don’t treat our Christy the wrong way then, Darren 😅 After all, he’s not wrong… 😬 #ECFC

@theposh_: Wonder why the lobs deleted it? #pufc

@DayPaul84: Christy knows 😂 #pufc

@ThePoshCallum: he ain’t wrong

@stevenhickman91: Says it all about these player they mug the fans off get rid of the lot or maybe fans should boycott till they are gone fan pay there wage and follow them everywhere for them to make joke about the performance they don’t give a dam

@wbaa_j: 😂😂😂😂😂 pym fucking hates fergie man

@MrFord89: 🤣🤣🤣😄 fuck sake our own players

@Joseph_H_2002: Best part is he’s fucking toss, get him on the released list asap

@joshhafc: no way he said this about his own gaffer