Connect with us

Non League

Non league match abandoned due to worrying injury – ambulance arrived 3 hours after

A match in the National League South ended up getting abandoned yesterday afternoon due to a player getting injured, however it took three hours for an ambulance to arrive at the ground.

Play had stopped at Treyew Road with around 15 minutes left on the clock after Michael Herve went down with a shoulder injury.

Staff were in discussions whether to continue with the game, however it was called off in the best interests of the player.

The ambulance however didn’t arrive at Truro City’s ground until three hours after the injury first took place.

Fan Ron Ratchford said, as quoted by Cornwall Live: “Amazing dedication displayed by our Physio Ian Lee in the game between Truro City and Concord Rangers yesterday at Treyew Road.

“Following the nasty injury to our player, Michael Herve, and an opposition midfielder, Ian spent almost 3 hours lying on his stomach, holding Michael’s arm steady and comforting him, whilst waiting for an ambulance to travel to the ground.

“Not only that, but he then went to the hospital to ensure Michael was not alone that evening. We are very fortunate to have Ian as part of the Club. With such team spirit it will ensure that our Club can only go from strength to strength.”

With the wait for an ambulance taking so long, the decision was taken between the match referee and Truro club chairman to abandon the game.

Opposition side Concord Rangers, from Canvey Island in Essex, felt frustrated with the decision to abandon the fixture.

First team coach, Darren Beale, said: “The referee came to us and said ‘I know it’s a long trip for you so we will play on when the ambulance is here and taken the player away’.

“But Truro’s chairman told the referee that they had no security officers after 6pm and so the game was abandoned.

“We’re scouring through the rule book to see what will happen because the referee was initially going to allow the game to finish, regardless of how long we had to wait for the ambulance.

“It was only because of the chairman saying there were no security officers at the ground after 6pm that the game didn’t finish.

“It’s a long trip for the players and supporters and if we have to go back to replay the game in midweek then it will take out another two days because of travelling.

“We think it will be replayed and, unfortunately, things like this happen.”


After hearing about the story, fans took to social media to wish the players well, but reveal their thoughts on how long it took for an ambulance to get to the scene – find out what they wrote on the next page.


Pages: 1 2

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Non League