Non league club to leave 250-seater ground for new 4,000 capacity stadium

A non league club have revealed plans to leave their 250-seater ground for new 4,000 capacity stadium, with designs looking impressive.

Here at fanbanter.co.uk, we’re very excited to see new ground proposals put forward by Sheffield FC, the world’s first football club, who play in the Northern Premier League Division One South East.

They are planning for a new stadium and heritage centre to celebrate the city’s history as the home of football, with a video uploaded alongside details on the changes.

The new ground will be located at Sheffield Transport Sports Club, just off Meadowhead Roundabout, which is just a 3 minute drive away down the road from their current home.

The project is expected to be completed in as little as two years with the non league community throwing their support behind the proposal which needs the green light from the council.

The club’s chairman Richard Tims hopes it will get the go ahead, seeing the club make a long-awaited homecoming after spending the last two decades outside the city limits in Dronfield.

“St Andrews is known around the world as the home of golf, Lord’s is the home of cricket, and we want Sheffield to get the recognition it deserves as the home of football,” he said.

“This will be somewhere to which the sport’s three billion fans can make a pilgrimage and pay homage to the city which gave the world the beautiful game.

“It doesn’t matter where you support Sheffield United or Sheffield Wednesday, this is about being proud of the region’s sporting heritage. We need everyone to get behind this and let the world know Sheffield is where football kicked off.”

(pic: Sheffield FC/WMA Architects)

Sheffield have written more on their website about the plans: When Sheffield Football Club formed in 1857 their first home was East Bank, so named as it stood on the east bank of the River Sheaf. The players would get changed at Park House, where members wrote their first rules, before making their way to the field.

Club founder Nathaniel Creswick said of the very first match: “I remember the first game in Mr. Thomas Turner’s field at East Bank and played in it in ‘57.” The best view we can have of the site today is to look down on the car park of the B&Q store on Queens Road!

From 1873 through to the formation of Sheffield United in 1889 the club listed Bramall Lane as their primary ground, also playing games at Newhall, Ecclesall Road, and the Old Forge ground in Attercliffe. For the new two decades, the club led a somewhat nomadic existence, with Ecclesall Road becoming their primary home before Owlerton and the Niagara Grounds, in Wadsley Bridge, around the turn of the century.

After the First World War when football resumed Sheffield moved to the new Abbeydale Park ground, where they would remain for over 60 years. When league officials stated that the dressing rooms were too far from the pitch a change of home to Hillsborough Park followed, with that then being declared as not to league standards after one season! A move to the 25,000 capacity Don Valley Stadium saw the club struggling with small attendances in the vast ground and the somewhat more compact Owlerton Stadium was also used for a period.

It was certainly the case that the club needed a ground of their own to call home if they were to look ahead to a more prosperous future though and in 2001 moved to their current base, at the Coach & Horses in Dronfield. It had previously been home to Norton Woodseats who had fallen on hard times and seen the club dissolved in 1999.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The League Project | Groundhop (@theleagueproject)

Sheffield’s first game at their new base was a 0-0 draw against Thackley, on the 21st of April 2001, although the official opening would take place the following July when a Manchester United side were the visitors for a momentous game.

At last Sheffield Football Club had a permanent place to call home and over the next decade they improved performances on the pitch, clinching promotion to the Northern Premier League in 2007 and lifting League and Sheffield & Hallamshire FA Cup silverware.

A Bright and exciting future now awaits The Club as we prepare to announce our return to the City to a site locally know as the transport ground. The site will hold a new non league stadium.

This will become known as The Home of Football and will, for the very first time in our history, host all our many teams on one site.

Not only a place to play football, this site we hope, will become an international visitor attraction where fans from every nation and supporting every Club can visit where Football Kicked off.

– STATEMENT ENDS –

Fans reacted with the non league club revealed plans to leave their 250-seater ground for the new 4,000 capacity stadium…

@RobBrow87970296: That looks top draw, can the powers that be give their blessing and funds to bring this off. Oldest football club in the world should be celebrated and have a museum to celebrate the history. Think of the brass it would bring into Sheffield.

@ShawBladeMan: Where money coming from?

@beetrootandpeas: It’s a shame they’re not going to be using Olive Grove as it would have less out of town shopping centre feel about it. The Sheaf View or the Brothers are pubs you drink in before watching oldest club. It’s a nice site but hardly easy access for the pilgrimage of fans they want.

@JoBell19665081: This will be a great site for @sheffieldfc. It’s opposite my old school. Good use of the area.

@geoeverything: Olive Grove would have been a much better site on every level. No idea why it fell through.

@owls_4life: Good site, spent good number of hours watching cricket there in the past….distant past.

@PeteMcKee: Be great if @sheffieldfc manage to pull this off, they’ve been looking for a permanent home for yonks and the Transport ground would be a great venue, in much need of regeneration. X

@Neil1889: Should be an archway at Sheffield Railway Station saying “welcome to Sheffield, the birthplace of football”

@ShefEnvironment: Love the Coach and Horses or Home of Football, but this is long overdue. We need Club back in Sheffield!

@pease2011: The fact that Sheffield has never made a big deal of this matter is the reason the football museum is in Manchester. It’s about time the oldest club in the world is backed by both Sheffield club supporters

@_whyarewe: @sheffieldfc Amazing! If easier to get to than Dronfield I’ll be sure to visit MUCH more

@PragueRaptors: Oh wow that’s really cool!

@FootballVsCovid: That looks incredible

@rhys_grainge: Brilliant news lads

@StevieG0v0: Is this officially happening. I really hope so. #TheWorldsFirst deserves a home in the city and hopefully get some crowds in. Lovely little Stadium that

@DANIELJAMESREC: Played against @sheffieldfc many times at the current ground & love that they are finally getting their own arena. Great history Great club.

@JamesMarriott: Awesome news and it looks amazing

@ForeverAYellow: Wow this new non league stadium looks rather impressive, huge good luck, with the talk and profile of Sheffield FC, they deserve a stunning arena

@VintageFG: Exciting news for a fantastic club!

@AS__1867: About time this happened, to have the worlds first football club back playing within the city boundaries is brilliant! Can’t wait to go and take in a few games here once it happens. Hopefully the start of Sheffield finally making a big deal of us being the birth place of football

@ArronBlade90: This is brilliant news

@lewnami: This is fantastic news. Well overdue, and should signal the beginning of Sheffield doing EVERYTHING to promote its place as the true home of football.

@GrumpyGreyhead: Great news, although I’ll miss the Coach and Horses. Cracking pint