Cambridge United

Millwall sack head coach after 19 games and appoint ex-boss 14 games into Cambridge spell

Millwall sack head coach Joe Edwards after 19 games and appoint ex-boss Neil Harris 14 games into his spell as manager of Cambridge.

Millwall are looking to bring back Neil Harris as their head coach, entrusting the former player and manager with the responsibility of maintaining keeping the club in the Championship.

Joe Edwards is to depart from his role today, with negotiations already underway for Millwall to reach a compensation agreement with Cambridge United for Harris, who oversaw their recent 2-1 loss against Bolton Wanderers.

In addition to his appointment, the 46-year-old will be bringing in David Livermore as his assistant, while Adam Barrett will continue as part of the coaching staff. It appears that Andy Myers will also be leaving alongside Edwards.

CLUB STATEMENT:

Millwall Football Club can confirm it has parted company with Head Coach, Joe Edwards, and his assistant, Andy Myers.

The difficult decision has been made following a challenging run of results which has left The Lions 21st in the Championship table ahead of Saturday’s trip to Southampton.

James Berylson, Millwall chairman, said: “This has of course been a very tough time and it is not a decision that we have taken lightly.

“Joe has worked incredibly hard during his spell with us and it is with sincere regret that the move hasn’t worked out for both parties in the way we had anticipated.

“I cannot praise him highly enough for his professionalism, standards, values, and work ethic, and I am confident he will have a long and successful career as a Head Coach.

“I would like to thank Joe and Andy for everything they’ve done for the club and wish them every success for the future.”

Alex Aldridge, Director of Football Operations and Recruitment, added: “First and foremost I’d like to thank Joe for the enthusiasm, determination, and dedication with which he has gone about his role at Millwall.

“The past few weeks has been a demanding period and though overall this hasn’t gone as either party would have hoped, Joe remains a very talented and diligent coach with an exciting future ahead of him.

“Joe and Andy leave the club with the best wishes of everybody connected with Millwall and with our thanks for all they have put into their time with us.”

Millwall Football Club is delighted to announce that Neil Harris has become The Lions’ new Head Coach.
The 46-year-old joins on a contract until June 2025 with Dave Livermore, who – alongside Adam Barrett – will become Assistant Head Coach.

Harris most recently managed The Lions between 2015-2019, steering the club to consecutive Sky Bet League One Play-Off Finals – winning the second against Bradford City in 2017 – before establishing Millwall in The Championship, narrowly missing out on the top six in the first season back in the second tier.

During his playing career, Harris became The Lions’ record goalscorer, finding the net 138 times.

Millwall chairman, James Berylson, said: “I’d like to start by thanking Neil for taking on this challenge, which is one I know he is very excited and enthusiastic about.

“Neil knows this club as well as anybody and understands exactly what it takes to be successful here. We are in a difficult moment but he and Dave have jumped at this opportunity and that says a lot about their affection for Millwall and their fierce drive and determination to help improve performances and results.

“I look forward to working closely with Neil and Dave, and continuing to do so with Adam, and promise them all our total support for the weeks and months ahead.”

Millwall’s Director of Football Operations and Recruitment, Alex Aldridge, added: “In welcoming Neil back to the club we have secured the services of a man who has Millwall in his heart and who will give his absolute all every minute of every day.

“He’s been away and grown his experience but his principles and values remain the same. It’s all about togetherness, unity, hard work, and professionalism.

“He and Dave are excited by this opportunity and along with Adam are relishing the challenge of picking up vital points.”

Harris’ first game in charge will take place on Saturday afternoon as Millwall travel to Southampton in the Sky Bet Championship.

Cambridge United said: “Neil Harris has today left his role as Head Coach of Cambridge United to join Championship side Millwall, following an official approach this morning and contractual compensation being paid…

“Assistant Head Coach Barry Corr, supported by Kevin Betsy, will take charge of the team ahead of Saturday’s game against Peterborough United.”

This is how fans reacted with Millwall to sack head coach Joe Edwards after 19 games and get set to appoint ex-boss Neil Harris 14 games into Cambridge spell…

@harryymayy: Least we will have a bit of fight about us again. We gotta back him he’s a proper leader knows the club inside out people need to remember who he is and what he has done for us over the years put respect on his name. Buzzing with it he will be up for this. 3 points at leeds too

@FrankieChristou: From the matches I’ve watched recently (bar the Norwich game) #Millwall have lacked fight and their usual nastiness. Neil Harris lives and breathes that. He will demand respect from the moment he turns up at Calmont Rd in what is now a relegation scrap until the end of the season

@JPMillwall2: Feel bad for Edwards but it wasn’t working. Harris though. The club are a mess. Wanted a progressive head coach to play good football. Now back to route 1 who will play all his old mates, the ones who’ve let us down and been shit. I’m stunned

@Tommy_Charles86: I’m personally for it. Might not be pretty the football, but its the millwall way, fight out results against the odds. Let’s not forget Harris built the foundations of the success we seen the past few years. Left us in really good shape

@DanHarvey74: Interesting, another young manager without a playing career as such being ostracised and moved in very quickly in same way as Beale, Foster at Plymouth.

@kieranhillfooty: Call me delusional but I’ll always back anyone who takes the poisoned chalice of Millwall gaffer. Edwards may just have been the right guy at the wrong time, but I agree with getting rid. Whilst Harris may seemingly be a backwards step for the club, we may just get our Wall back

@njah09: The Millwall board: We need the fans onside, someone who knows the club, if we go down he wont be blamed and won’t need paying off and replacing in the summer, someone who has got a team out of League 1 before. Is there anyone out there who ticks all those boxes???

@mattjoyy: This is shocking from the club. Beyond embarrassing when it comes to decision making. Needs clearing out from top to bottom, they have shown when the going gets tough they have no ideas, panic and resort to the ways of old. Aldo and kav gotta go.

@Karl_Millwall: Really, we couldn’t get anyone better than Harris? Could be an indication that nobody wants to work with these players, senior leadership such as our DOF, or just that the general feeling is that we’re already done for and they don’t fancy the blemish on their CV.

@scottbriandavis: This is going to be chaos.. brought in a few on the floor footballing players, going back to lump it as far as we can 🥲

@antcarroll94: Awful decision to get Harris back. Say goodbye to what little quality we have to see Longman in every week because he runs about a bit. Edwards wasn’t working but surely we could find someone else who would try to play football. #millwall

@MillwallFrankie: Genuinely have no idea what to make of this. Millwall fans hounded out Harris as well by the way. Since then his career has been beyond mediocre. Appointing JE was clearly a mistake but is Harris really the answer? This club is has spiraled out of control

@KieranMoss16: So what’s the plan now then? Harris until the end of the season and then see what Gary Rowett is up too in the summer? Clubs just gone backwards 5 years and it’s becoming a joke #Millwall

@MillwallAnalyt1: Absolutely ridiculous this. Panic button hit. Tried to change philosophy and club hasn’t given him time. Surely only a short term option, will energise the players but won’t take us forward which is what we want. Shambolic in my opinion. Fuming.

@jamesmiiiiishaw: Harris, sorry but an absolute embarrassment, sure the divs will abuse me for my opinion which I’m entitled to, proves the club have no idea what they are doing, what other club would look at Harris, he’s at Cambridge for a reason, even Gillingham sacked him, shame on us.. #Millwall

@KieranMoss16: It’s clear the board have absolutely shit themself, have no idea what to do now but feel like they need to react to stop things getting nasty. Gone for the safe option that they know the fans will get behind and then go again when we ultimately get relegated anyway #Millwall

More in Cambridge United