Meslier produces stunning 94th minute wonder-save to deny Leicester late equaliser against Leeds

Illan Meslier produces a stunning 94th minute wonder-save to deny Leicester a late equaliser against Leeds on Friday night.

Georginio Rutter’s second-half strike stopped Enzo Maresca’s Foxes from opening up eight-point lead at the top of the Championship table.

12 goals have been scored by Leicester from the 76th minute onwards so far this season and came very close to number 13, with Meslier coming up trumps to some how keep out Dewsbury-Hall at the death, take a look at it in the video below…

Image

Joel Piroe came very close in the opening moments for Leeds, and Leicester’s Abdul Fatawu struck his effort against the bar 11 minutes before the break in a tight first half.

However, Leeds proved to be the better side after the break and took a deserved lead with Georginio Rutter making no mistake from close range after Sam Byram’s header from a corner was palmed away by Mads Hermansen.

Leicester remain five points clear of second-placed Ipswich Town – who have two games in hand – at the top of the Championship, but miss out on a club-record 10th successive league win.

Meanwhile Leeds, who came down from the Premier League with the Foxes last season, cut the gap between the two relegated sides to 11 points and consolidated third place in the table.

Leicester City manager Enzo Maresca told BBC Radio Leicester:

“Overall I’m happy with the performance because they competed, we created some chances.

“I don’t think we deserved to lose the game, but it’s football. We always say the same, we cannot control the results, but we expected them to use their weapons like counter-attacks, it was the game we expected.

“The race is long, 46 games, we cannot think to win, win, win, win, it’s normal that we are going to lose and draw games, and win for sure.

“But in the end the most important thing is the way they behave and that tonight has been good – we created chances, tried to play our football and so for me overall it was a good performance.”

Leicester’s Enzo Maresca to Sky Sports:

“First of all, I think it was a very good game. We competed very well, we had some chances and we knew they use the counter-attack and they are very dangerous, but I think we controlled it quite well. From my point of view, the defeat is not fair, but as we always said, we can control the way we behave, but not the result. I’m happy with the performance.

“It’s all about the reaction, but we always said in the changing room and between us that the season is very long. We are in a good position and we just need to understand how to improve day-by-day. This is the most important thing.”

Leeds United manager Daniel Farke told BBC Radio Leeds:

“To be brave, to play football with courage and to go for it with confidence was the key today.

“When you want to get something in such a game you have to be brave and you have to make sure that you have periods in the game where you bring the game to their half, you press them really high with bravery and when you’re good in possession you hurt them with your possession.

“You can’t have these periods over 90 minutes, there are also periods where you have to be structured and allow them possession in areas where they can’t hurt you and don’t offer them any spaces where they can create chances.

“So to bring such a complex performance on the pitch, on the one hand to be brave and our high pressing, to be good with the ball and dominate, but when they are in possession – because they are so good with the ball – to stay disciplined, to stay well structured and have the possession more or less in their own half where they can’t hurt you, I think that was definitely the key today.”

Leeds’ Daniel Farke to Sky Sports:

“We faced the best side so far in this league, but we also knew, step-by-step we brought ourselves into a top shape and today it was important to play bravely, to press really high all together or to stay disciplined and allow them possession in areas where we could not be hurt and not open any spaces. I think it was a pretty complex performance and a really good game; Leicester were tough opponents and played excellent, but I think, in the end, it was a well-deserved win.

“If you win away at Leicester with a clean sheet and such a situation, definitely it sends a message. But we also have to send the next message in a few days, so I wouldn’t overrate it. I’m never over the moon after a good result and I’m not too down after a setback – the Championship is relentless. It’s good for our mood, our confidence, good for the table and good that, even against the best sides, we know we can win. We can allow ourselves one or two days to be happy and then the hard work on the training pitch comes again.”

Leicester: Hermansen, Justin, Vestergaard, Faes, Pereira, Casadei (Choudhury 67), Winks, Dewsbury-Hall, Mavididi, Fatawu, Vardy (Iheanacho 59). Subs not used: Stolarczyk, Souttar, Coady, McAteer, Albrighton, Marcal, Daka.

Leeds: Meslier, Gray (Ayling 90+4), Rodon, Struijk, Byram, Ampadu, Kamara, James (Anthony 90+4), Summerville (Gnonto 90), Piroe (Gruev 84), Rutter (Bamford 84). Subs not used: Firpo, Cooper, Poveda, Darlow.

Booked: Byram (Leeds),

Referee: Dean Whitestone

This is how fans on Twitter reacted as Meslier produces stunning 94th minute wonder-save to deny Leicester a late equaliser against Leeds…

@Pitch221: Meslier πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸΌ

@Leeds_Lately: “Leeds Survive”, “so close from Dewsbury-Hall”, not one mention of credit for Meslier for pulling off a worldie save…

@Alexjc19: Outrageous goalkeeping when it mattered most! What keeping dreams are made of 😍🀯🧀#lufc #keepersunion

@ShaunCronin7: An outrageous save from Meslier, hopefully he can keep heading back towards his best.