Manager of Isthmian League club speaks on his side making it 20 wins in a row with the title in sight

The manager of Isthmian League club Hashtag United speaks on his side making it 20 wins in a row with the title now in sight.

Jay Devereux, oversaw his side win 2-1 away at Heybridge, a result which saw the Essex outfit reach this astonishing landmark.

With seven games left to play out this season, they are currently 11 points ahead at the top Isthmian League North Division.

They have won 27 of the 31 games, drawing once and losing three, while scoring 84 and conceding 340, having a points total of 82.

He told BBC Essex: “We’ll wait until the time is right before I even consider that [number].

“We’re just taking it one game at a time – it’s boring and a cliche but it’s stood us in good stead.

“If you start thinking about the games that went before or the games beyond the next one then we’re taking our eye off things.”

This remarkable achievement started way back in mid-November, winning 2-1 at home to Wroxham, coming after they lost 4-2 at rivals AFC Sudbury.

It was back in January when the club, who were set up by YouTuber Spencer Owen, set a club record by going 11 win in a row. They have already sealed a playoff place, but the title is the one they have their eyes on.

In order to do this, they need to claim 13 points from their remaining seven games.

After the BBC interviewer questioned his team’s strengths, Devereux added: “A little bit of everything. We’ve got depth and character, we pride ourselves on how hard we work and it’s just that mentality of ‘next man up’.

“There have been changes within the last few months – changes that are forced or you make changes – and there’s no way we’d have won the amount of games we’ve won with the same XI, it’s impossible.

“That ‘next man up’ mentality, that togetherness, that spirit, everybody being in it together – that is what’s made us do OK.”

THE 20 WINS IN A ROW FOR HASHTAG

Sat 12 Nov – H – Wroxham – Isthmian North –  (2) 2 – 1 (1)
Mon 14 Nov – H – New Salamis – Isthmian North –  (2) 3 – 1 (1)
Sat 19 Nov – A – Grays Athletic – Isthmian North – (1) 3 – 2 (1)
Sat 26 Nov – H – Basildon United – Isthmian North – (1) 3 – 0 (0)
Sat 3 Dec – A – Great Wakering Rovers – Isthmian North – (1) 3 – 0 (0)
Sat 10 Dec – H – Gorleston – Isthmian North – (0) 2 – 0 (0)
Mon 26 Dec – H – Brentwood Town – Isthmian North – (3) 5 – 2 (0)
Mon 2 Jan – A – Witham Town – Isthmian North – (3) 4 – 0 (0)
Sat 7 Jan – H – Bury Town – Isthmian North – (2) 3 – 1 (0)
Fri 13 Jan – A – East Thurrock United – Isthmian North – (2) 4 – 0 (0)
Sat 21 Jan – H – Hullbridge Sports – Isthmian North – (0) 4 – 0 (0)
Sat 28 Jan – A – Wroxham – Isthmian North – (2) 3 – 2 (1)
Sat 4 Feb – H – Grays Athletic – Isthmian North – (2) 3 – 0 (0)
Sat 11 Feb – A – Lowestoft Town – Isthmian North – (2) 2 – 0 (0)
Mon 13 Feb – H – Maldon & Tiptree – Isthmian North – (0) 2 – 1 (1)
Sat 18 Feb – A – New Salamis – Isthmian North – (1) 2 – 1 (1)
Tue 21 Feb – A – Coggeshall Town – Isthmian North – (2) 2 – 1 (0)
Sat 25 Feb – H – AFC Sudbury – Isthmian North – (2) 3 – 2 (0)
Sat 4 Mar – A – Tilbury – Isthmian North – (4) 8 – 1 (0)
Sat 11 Mar – A – Heybridge Swifts – Isthmian North – (2) 2 – 1 (0)

This is what fans said as the manager of the Isthmian League club speaks on his side making it 20 wins in a row with the title in sight…

@HTUFanzine: Fantastic

@rumin_mikey: Brilliant never in doubt with this lot 💛💙

@Jonatha80483312: Up the tags

@CS_312: 20 wins is special 😮‍💨#️⃣

@MutualAidLiker: I look out for Hashtag’s results since PK moved there and Nathan Smith recently, 20 wins in a row at step 4 is no mean achievement

@seaneldridge7: Up the tags 👊

@darrenmckay25: 20 in a row is very good, but as it should be. Many ex pro’s, players who should be playing 2 leagues higher. Dont discredit them, but also understand the context

@Pownzzz98: Hashtag United winning 20 games in a row. What’s the record cause surely they’ve broken it or have done already

@KalvinMG: 20 wins in a row is crazy. Half a season. 👏🏽

@robbieh1990_DB: Enjoyed This One @hashtagutd! This Team Is On Another Level! Absolutely Loving The Journey 20 Wins In A Row & Counting! SUPER @Jermaine_f7 Love The Hashtag Family 💛💙💛💙 On To The Next One! #YoutubeBoys #PkHumble #TeniolaTime

@sm1879_14: what a club, what a team

@BenjiSewell: Another good days work. Onto the next one. #UpTheTags

@MANapier22:
First half. Brilliant.
Second half. That’s not us at best.
However… 20 WINS! 9 PTS CLEAR away from Sudbury! & PLAYOFFS SECURED!
This team is not stopping at all! Bring on Felixstowe!

@lyle_gold: Hashtag massive everywhere they go.

@aaronjfarrow2: This team is built different! Up the Tags ##. Fair play to @officialswifts they gave us a real test today. Good luck for the rest of the season!

@longest90: International Football is calling…

@Robbyfootyfocus: 20, yes 20 wins in a row for @hashtagutd 👏👏 they have beaten the record held by @ManCity , simply unbelievable #upthetags

@GME1982: 20! Just amazing! #TagFamily

@AnitaBriant: Hard work pays off xx

@AfieRosman: Come on @hashtagutd ! 13 points more to win the league in 7 games ! We definitely can do it !

@JDGlover: Well done guys. Unbelievable run and pulling away at the top of your league 👏#️⃣ @SpencerOwen @carmichaelbrown @sindylcb @sebcbrown4 @saunderscb

@Jonatha80483312: We are going up say we are going up

@MrChromeCRZ:
7 Games to go!
9 Points clear of 2nd.
A one of a kind club having one hell of a season!

@K_Hill79: 13 points for the title 🙌

@JhursitOfficial: Massive 👏🏽🔥