fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Luton silence Watford with 3-0 victory and cheeky goal celebration after pre-match trolling

Luton Town silence rivals Watford with a 3-0 victory and a cheeky goal celebration after some pre-match trolling from the Hornets.

It was the return of a much anticipated local derby on Saturday, and before the game, Watford were in the mood for some mind games.

They uploaded a video, with the tweet ‘Taking in the sights’, and in the clip with a wet, soggy looking Kenilworth Road.

While many were amusing at the gone viral post, getting over 20,000 likes and 4 million views, it was Luton who did the talking on the pitch, keeping Watford quiet.

Luton put in a comfortable performance, thanks to goals from Jordan Clark, Carlton Morris and Jacob Brown.

It sees Luton climb up to 17th in the Championship table with 11 points from 10 games while Watford are 8th with 16 points from the same amount of games played.

Luton’s Rob Edwards: “It was good. We had a good day here on April 1 last year, and we’ve had another one today.

“I’m really pleased for the supporters today because I know how much it means to them.

“It’s been a big two weeks, and we knew we had to respond after the disappointment of our last game (against Sheffield United). The lads have done that, they’ve gone and shown it today and that’s when it matters.

“It’s no good just talking about it. You’ve got to go and show it. And they did it. It looked like today it mattered to us. It looked like they cared. It looked like they understood the magnitude of the game, so we’re really, really proud of them.

“I thought that every individual was at least seven or eight out of 10. We made a few mistakes. You’re always going to make some, but if we did, we recovered really well, either with a great block or a great tackle.

“Our intensity was amazing. Both with and without the ball, we had a real purpose and a fire about us that I liked.”

Watford’s Tom Cleverley: “It doesn’t take a genius to see that it was a very disappointing performance.

“You know what you’re going to get when you come here and that is good channel balls and strong channel runs, competing, winning set-pieces, balls coming in your box.

“We didn’t stand up to that challenge well enough to start and then our own identity, which is to get on the ball, playing through the lines, getting the ball wide and into the box, we just didn’t commit to.

“So when you fall short in both areas, it resulted in a really poor afternoon for us.

“There’ll be an inquest into what we can do as a coaching staff to make the players realise, but for me it’s an away form thing and it’s something we really have to address.

“We are flat away from home, we’re not committing to trying to play football and we’re just not standing up to the battles well enough either.

“So that will result in some shaky performances and it’s absolutely my responsibility to make sure the team looks like it has an identity away from home and can start picking up results.”

Luton boss Rob Edwards told BBC Three Counties Radio: “It’s been a tough start to the season, a tough start for all of us, we’ve taken a few hits – we’ve even taken hits during the game today, we lost two more centre-halves.

“People don’t realise how hard this is at the moment, we finished off with two wing-backs at centre-back, who were incredible.

“I don’t know where we’ll be at for Wednesday but in the here and now, I’ll enjoy it for 20 minutes and everyone else can enjoy it for the weekend.

“I care about this football club, I’m a fan as well as the manager. I don’t like disappointing people and I’ve felt that this year – but today I felt the love and the passion [from the fans] around the stadium.”

Watford head coach Tom Cleverley told BBC Three Counties Radio: “We’re all going to have to take what criticism comes our way on the chin, no one more so than me.

“We didn’t compete well enough, we didn’t do the dark arts well enough – they [Luton] try and pick out your weaknesses, they’re on second balls and they’re in the referee’s ear and managing the time in the game.

“Quality-wise, it wasn’t there for us, we didn’t commit to playing our football, we showed little bits of fear.

“We made technical mistakes and that came from a lack of belief. Even when we do play out [from the back] with a little of risk, if one or two people don’t really commit to it, then the whole thing breaks down.”

Here’s how fans reacted as Luton silence Watford with a 3-0 victory and a cheeky goal celebration after some pre-match trolling…

@LTFCShirts: 3-0 on your big day out 😂😂😂😂😂

@WycombeDJ: Hows those sights treating ya

@DummiesTalk: What’s hard for the fans is that the players didn’t even get the basics right. Poor selection. Wrong tactics and not wanting it. Derby games are won with balls – and not soccer balls – and the players just got bullied by bigger balls! Fair result. Fans were let down.

@carpe1573: I’d turn the comments off if I was you. Disgraceful performance

@christofflennon:
Goal – @LutonTown social admin
Assist – @WatfordFC social admin
#COYH

@bulablenks: Perfect pre birthday gift! Hang it in the Louvre.

@BrownSlices: As funny as Watford’s tweet was, never ever do that BEFORE a match

@jamiebowman22: The M1 is ORANGE 🧡

@Leon161: Adebayo was an absolute beast today. Did not give the Watford defenders a second of peace! Back to his best!! Just needs a goal but with performances like that it’s inevitable!

@danny_ltfc: get in lads. biggest win in the biggest game of the season. the players defo know how big this game is and how much it means to us

@lprscouting: Fantastic result! Great performance to build from, looking as good old Luton again! Hard working, great pressure, brilliant set-pieces. Credit to all players and Rob and his coaching-team. What a win!

@djmattcrawley: My uncle came over to Luton from Dublin as a 15 year old boy. He passed away this week in his 70s. He supported Luton Town and had a season ticket for many years. Even making the long trip down from Edinburgh every week after moving there to retire. That ones for you. 🧡⚽️

@OttilieQ: Pressure from the front, individual battles, aerial wins, never die attitude. Being nasty bastards! The 12th man were so loud & full of hate, fucking love it! That’s my team. WE LOVE LUTON!!! 🧡 #COYH #DerbyDay

@Andy_Peacock: An absolute monster display from every one of those lads. Won every battle and played with complete desire for the badge. Heroes

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Championship