Hartlepool United

Hartlepool quickly appoint new manager after sacking their 8th boss since 2018

Hartlepool United quickly appoint new manager after sacking their 8th boss since 2018, when owner Raj Singh’s arrived.

On Wednesday night, the club issued a statement confirming that they had parted ways with 59 year old Keith Curle and Colin West (assistant manager).

This decision was taken 24 hours after Hartlepool fell to defeat at home to Newport County at the Suit Direct Stadium. The club now sit 22nd in the League Two standings, with only 27 points from 33 games.

After Paul Hartley’s resignation, Curle joined Hartlepool United in September on an interim basis. He was then made permanent in December. The team has lost six of the 24 league games and are currently in a relegation battle.

CLUB STATEMENT ON SACKING

Hartlepool United can this evening confirm the departure of First Team Manager Keith Curle and Assistant Manager Colin West.

The club would like to place on record its thanks to Keith and Colin and we wish them well for the future.

The club will now move swiftly to appoint a successor to ensure the team has the best opportunity to maintain our Football League status.

Chairman Raj Singh commented:

“This has been one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make at Pools.

“Keith and Colin in so many ways have improved the football club and our culture.

“They are both consummate professionals and they have genuinely been a pleasure to work with.

“I will go on record with my thanks to them both and the way that they have conducted business.

“Unfortunately we have just not seen the required results and I feel we must act now to give the club a chance in the final part of the season.

“Following the transfer window we believe there is a group of players that can secure our place in the league.

“We will act swiftly and do all that we can to get an immediate and smooth transition in the manager position.”

CLUB STATEMENT ON APPOINTMENT:

Hartlepool United are delighted to announce the appointment of John Askey as first-team Manager.

In addition to his 500+ senior career appearances, Askey has managed in League One with Shrewsbury Town, League Two with Port Vale and a promotion-winning campaign in the National League with Macclesfield Town.

Known for his attractive and attacking football, Askey joins the club after a successful managerial spell at York City which saw the Minstermen gain promotion from the National League North in his first season in charge.

Our new Manager will be joined by Mark Goodlad as Assistant Manager. Goodlad also enjoyed a successful playing career, making over 200 appearances for Port Vale and then went on to have coaching roles at Nottingham Forest, Barnsley and York City where he teamed up with Askey.

Tony Sweeney will continue his role as first-team coach, working closely alongside the new Manager and Assistant Manager.

Club Chairman, Raj Singh welcomes the new appointments:

We had to move very quickly to find out who was available and ready to come in immediately given the challenge ahead. I would like to welcome John and Mark to the club and wish them the best of luck in trying to retain our league status. A couple of people have pointed out to me that John was very popular with York fans. In fact, the majority of them would like to have him back. For me, that is always a good sign and here’s to hoping that he is just as popular and liked as much by our fans in the time ahead.

John Askey added:

This is an exciting project to be involved with but everyone has to buy into that project. It is a quick turnaround but one we are relishing. We ask the fans to stick with us and back the players. We will make sure that every player is giving their all for the shirt and we look forward to seeing you all this coming Saturday.

Keith Curle insisted his side could still avoid relegation after losing at home to Newport.

He said, as per NewsChainOnline: “The only way to get out of this is with results and we need to win on Saturday (against Walsall) and we need everyone involved and associated with the club to get behind us.

“We need to win five games, draw three. That gives us an opportunity to get where we need to be.

“We’ve taken a massive right-hander and we are reeling from it. We now need to win on Saturday.

“We look at what Newport do well and they outmuscle a lot of teams and we needed to match that physicality, and we did for a lot of it.

“We changed and we were adaptable with 11 players missing for various reasons.

“I didn’t think there was a lot in it, but did we give our forward players enough? No. Did our forward players have a scoring threat? No.

“We need to win on Saturday and we need to put the pressure on. We showed character on Saturday to come back at Wimbledon and we have to deal with this disappointment.

“What makes (people) is how you deal with disappointments.

“I can understand the frustration from the fans – this is their club and I am their manager so it gets directed at me. I accept that.”

Twitter users reacted as favourites to become new Hartlepool manager is revealed after sacking their 8th boss since 2018…

@IsaacHUFC: Good luck in your future career Keith. Shame it didn’t work out here

@mickyga78: Had to be done unfortunately, but Raj needs to spend some cash on a quality manager that can keep us in the football league

@HUFC_Charlie: Sad to see managers sacked but the next appointment is so important

@aghdidim: Any chance Raj can do an interview face to face this time and possibly check his / her references before making the appointment or is that too much to ask of a professional football club ?

@LukeThoday: We tried to warn you Tbf

@WinwoodBailey: Him playing sena for a full match is enough to make anyone wanna leave there job

@Hoppyontour: Ronnie Moore

@cjfor007: There is a god

@miller_jonny: I’m glad Raj has swallowed his pride and done the right thing but I just can’t see him getting the next manager right. Almost feels like an impossible job for anyone.

@Mogzy1985: Had to be done. Not sure what the next step is but we couldn’t stay with Curle for another day.

@richyhpool: Always seems a good bloke Keith but he was taking us down. Shame it didn’t work out but change was needed.

@DanielHustler6: I like Curle but time ran out. TBH Pools should of been looking who to replace him with a few weeks ago! “Leaving it Late” should be Hartlepools motto as that seems to bode well! Just pull your fingers out and get some positive results! Capable of it!

@Drifter050573: I like Keith Curle, who imo did a good job at Carlisle a few years ago. So I’m saddened he hasn’t been able – with that squad – to get the results needed to make Pools’ league position a very comfortable one. But preserving their EFL status is paramount.

@JoshuaH56427995: Sweeny in charge surly

@AndyMcCormack14: Sweens / Tommy Miller managerial combo 🤔

@AndyMcCormack14: Raj ultimately didn’t recognise a good thing when he had it in DC. Shame the rest of us did! How different it all could have been …

@vinnyrowbo: Good decision. No identity, no plan, no fight.

@hoppo_swfc: Can’t see him getting lucky with missus tonight

@ethan_hufc: It had to happen ultimately only winning 6 in 24, tactics were dreadful and a different formation every week.

@MbwLdurham: I am over the moon he has gone, might have improved thing behind the scenes, but int eh pitch we have got worse, thank you RAJ, for putting us out of misery, now please for the love of god, get it right, even if it means breaking the bank till the end of the season

@Whi_Phi: Shame it wasn’t weeks ago, hopefully it’s not too late.

@1908pools: Correct decision, however the next decision you make Raj is massive please get this one right.

@Danthom03: Nice guy but made it clear he didn’t understand formations/team selection/tactics etc. Really hope we can just do enough to survive and put this abysmal season behind us.

@Benrobbo012: Correct decision Keith done all he could but the way we were playing was never gonna a keep us up nor get us results. Be interesting to see who comes in next but no matter who we need to get behind the manager and team

@RyanThompson__3: More statements then points

@Danthom03: Nice guy but made it clear he didn’t understand formations/team selection/tactics etc. Really hope we can just do enough to survive and put this abysmal season behind us.

@anthonystevenh7: Doesn’t matter cause raj will fuck it up and appoint a load of shit as proven by his record of choices with his little cronies behind the scenes he’s the one who needs to go as well! Personally just give sweens it till end he deserves a chance can’t do any worse

More in Hartlepool United