Coventry v West Brom sees pitch invader, police ‘clashing’ with fans and 90th minute ‘limbs’

Wednesday night’s Coventry v West Brom sees a pitch invader, police officers ‘clashing’ with fans and some 90th minute ‘limbs’.

Viktor Gyokeres’ stoppage time penalty moved Coventry to eighth place in the standings, ending West Brom’s five-game winning streak.

The form saw Carlos Coberan’s side move from the bottom of the Championship to the top half with a run seeing four clean sheets.

In a game that looked destined to end in a draw, Gyokeres found his way towards the box and was eventually brought down by Erik Pieters.

Coventry’s top scorer was able to get up and send Alex Palmer in the wrong direction, earning the Sky Blues their first win since the World Cup break.

Earlier in the game, Jonathan Panzo almost netted the winner just days after scoring in Saturday’s 3-3 draw against Swansea, in which the Sky Blues surrendered a three-goal lead.

Hamer rose to the highest position from a corner with his header smashing the top of the crossbar.

At the other end, Darnell Furlong saw a close-range header of his saved well by Ben Wilson from John Swift’s deep free-kick.

As can be seen below, police tried their best at handling the Coventry celebrations in the stands, one officer having his hat knocked off. Some fans were knocked to the ground. There was also a pitch invader on the 88th minute, just click play on the video below…

Coventry City manager Mark Robins told BBC CWR:

“The players were outstanding, but then they were outstanding on Saturday too until we let in three goals and drew a game that felt like a defeat.

“But we got back to keeping clean sheets – and we were unlucky not to score more against a side who’ve won five on the bounce.

“It’s up there with one of our best performances of the season. People are getting excited and that’s great, but expectations should not be going through the roof.

“We have a great bunch of players but we don’t have the depth of squads other clubs have. That’s not a complaint. It’s just down to circumstances.”

West Brom head coach Carlos Corberan told BBC Radio WM:

“They were better than us in the first 70 minutes. We had more control in the second half, but it was an awful way to lose the game. We tried to clear the ball but could not.

“We lost to one of the basics of the game. Now we have to recover for the Boxing Day game.

“I do not know if it was a penalty or not but there were a couple of moments in the first half that may have made the referee want to whistle.”

This is what social media users said on Coventry v West Brom which sees a pitch invader, police ‘clashing’ with fans and 90th minute ‘limbs’…

@Harry_Gaut1: Did the pitch invader get more added time on for us to get the pen last night? 😂 #PUSB

@Benr83: What was with the pitch invader tonight? Was it that desperate to get Tavares on? 🤣🤣🤣 #PUSB

@pritch0611: I called the pitch invader a wanker as he was being walked out turns out he was a tactical genius #pusb #enjoyurban

@Matt95Hagan: FUCKING MASSIVE. ON. OUR. WAY…

@beckyshortland: 88 minutes at 0-0 and a “fan” decides to invade?? Literally… why??? #PUSB

@glenw1411: Absolute bolt on penalty. Doug King loving it in the stands! Merry Christmas Sky Blue Army! #pusb #skyblues

@TDC1991: Incredible!! 1 point off playoffs with a game in hand! Amazing stuff considering where we were at the start of the season! Onwards and upwards #PUSB

@psb_group: Imagine we didn’t drop them points 😫🤦🏻😂 be in the play offs, but in touching distance now and we’ve just beat the inform side in the league in the last minute so that feels very good #PUSB

@glenny17: Callum Doyle take a fucking now, quality performance, very mature! Love that! Sheaf class again #PUSB

@SideSammy: Hard to argue we didn’t deserve that win. A game where we had a lot of shots without really creating anything of quality but the number of chances meant that if any team was going to win it, it would be us. #PUSB

@marksmithccfc: Brilliant win and throughly deserved. Should’ve won by more against a side who have won 5 on the trot. Defensively we were better than Saturday and the crowd were tops #PUSB

@RobOMalley8: I thought pitch invasions were when fans were disgruntled with the owners/ref/players so no idea what that was about. Assume it was in solidarity with striking workers or he’s a dick #pusb