Coventry City fans plea for special kind of tribute for Terry Hall who died age 63

Coventry City fans plea for a special kind of tribute for Terry Hall of The Specials, who died age 63, confirmed by the band this week.

After finding out the sad news on Monday night, Sky Blues supporters wanted the football club to wear the 2-Tone third kit from the 2019/20 season for the Championship fixture against West Brom at the Coventry Building Society Arena on Wednesday night.

Many will remember a commemorative 40th anniversary kit to celebrate 2-Tone’s music and movement had on society.

Moments after news emerged of his passing, the 1981 hit ‘Ghost Town’ by The Specials rose the highest of all their songs up the UK music charts, within the Top 10 on iTunes.

There were others such as ‘A Message to You Rudy’, ‘Too Much Too Young’ and ‘Gangsters’ to re-emerge back in the chart as fans and music lovers download and listen to it, with plenty of memories shared.

Many 2-Tone bands were composed by people from different races at a time in Britain when there was racial tension.

The 2-Tone shirt was so popular that it sold out in 24 hours and it was also sold in around 40 countries.

It became the club’s fastest-selling replica shirt with the black-and-white replica shirt even surpassing the Sky Blue home shirt.

Sadly, while fans want to see the kit used for the game against West Brom, according to the club, the players will not be able to wear the kit. However, they have their own tribute planned for the night.

The Specials said in a statement confirming the news: “Terry was a wonderful husband and father and one of the kindest, funniest, and most genuine of souls.

“His music and his performances encapsulated the very essence of life… the joy, the pain, the humour, the fight for justice, but mostly the love.

“He will be deeply missed by all who knew and loved him and leaves behind the gift of his remarkable music and profound humanity.”

Staple added to the BBC that he had learned of his friend’s passing as he landed in Egypt for a holiday with his wife.

“It’s really hit me hard,” he said. “We fronted The Specials and Fun Boy Three together, making history.

“Terry, he surely will be missed.”

Jane Wiedlin, who co-founded of band The Go Gos, who co-wrote the band’s hit Our Lips Are Sealed with Hall, said he was a “lovely, sensitive, talented and unique person”.

“Our extremely brief romance resulted in the song Our Lips Are Sealed, which will forever tie us together in music history.”

Elvis Costello described Hall’s voice as “the perfect instrument for the true and necessary songs on The Specials”.

“That honesty is heard in so many of his songs in joy and sorrow,” he said.

The band asked for respect for Hall’s family’s privacy. No cause of death was shared.

This is what fans said as Coventry City fans plea for a special kind of tribute for Terry Hall who died age 63…

@NatalieWoodbri1: 2Tone kit for Wednesday 💙 come on City @Coventry_City for Terry Hall @thespecials RIP Terry 🖤🤍 thank you for the memories “enjoy yourself” will have a whole new meaning next time I hear it.

@ianneale50: Two tone kit and and a Terry Hall playlist for the baggies game Wednesday @Coventry_City celebrating the life and influence through the late seventies and eighties of the legend #terryhall #specials #pusb #sba

@kpl91golf: Desperately sad news about Terry Hall. The Specials were iconic and ground breaking. The pride of Coventry. #pusb

@PUSBMartyn: Waking up to hear about Terry Hall …. Genuinely shocked @thespecials

@chesrerbe: R.I.P. Terry never forget your music when I was growing up #Specials #skamusic

@hellofoxfox: Please wear the iconic Two Tone kit for the next game.

@Rob13ccfc: RIP Terry Hall, thanks for the memories #Specials #ska

@CarlNant: Can we sing some Specials songs when we come to you for the FA Cup, I feel like my youth just died

@_alexsmith1999_: I sincerely hope the club arrange a tribute to Terry before Wednesday’s match – Whilst he wasn’t known for being a City fan, he did so much to put the City of Coventry on the map – A true legend

@castledine52: Need to bring that Specials kit out of retirement for one last game #pusb

@HuckleberryDawg: This Town, is becoming like a Ghost Town 😢 #PUSB

@sensescoventry: Put my two lads in theirs today. Great tops. Terry, was one of Coventry’s finest sons. Will be very sadly missed.