Clubs devastated at the death of 49 year old former footballer Chris Bart-Williams

Clubs have been left devastated at the death of 49 year old former footballer Chris Bart-Williams as tributes pour out on social media.

The ex-Premier League midfielder, who spent much of his career playing for Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest, has died.

He was a well known name to fans in the 1990s and 2000s, and earned himself 16 England U21 caps and one England ‘B’ cap in a career that saw him grace the top flight in nine seasons of his 16-year career.

He also played for Charlton, Leyton Orient and Ipswich, before flying out to Cyprus for a spell with APOEL and in Malta with Marsaxlokk.

Following retirement, Bart-Williams moved into coaching in the United States and notably worked as assistant coach of Women’s Premier Soccer League side SoccerPlus Connecticut.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Nottingham Forest (@officialnffc)

Ex-teammates paid tribute via Twitter, with ex-Forest striker Kevin Campbell posting: ‘R.I.P. Chris, love you Bartman! My lil brother we shared such great moments and I truly am devastated at the extremely sad news!’

Mark Crossley, who also played with him at Forest, said: ‘Devastating and I’m so upset to hear the news of Trevor Francis passing and my former team mate Chris Bart Williams, both so young, it is so sad , RIP Trevor and Chris.’

Former Arsenal and Everton player Kevin Campbell, a former teammate at Forest too, tweeted: “R.I.P. Chris, love you Bartman! My lil brother we shared such great moments and I truly am devastated at the extremely sad news!”.

Paul Canoville, the first black footballer to play for Chelsea, also offered his thoughts, saying: “Another of our ex-football player has passed Chris Bart-Williams. R.I.P”.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY STATEMENT:

Sheffield Wednesday are deeply saddened at the passing of our former player Chris Bart-Williams.

Bart-Williams died in America, aged just 49.

The prodigiously talented midfielder joined the Owls in 1991 after bursting onto the scene as a teenager with Leyton Orient and went on to become an immensely popular performer in S6.

‘Bartman’ made 156 appearances for Wednesday across four years at the club, providing a raft of standout moments, not least a Premier League hat-trick against Southampton in April 1993.

The Sierra Leone product played a major part in the Owls’ success stories of the early 1990s, helping his side to a seventh-place top tier finish in 1993 and both the League Cup and FA Cup finals of the same year.

Bart-Williams moved to Nottingham Forest in 1995 for £2.5m and proved a big hit at the City Ground, posting 230 appearances for the Reds.

He went on to play for Charlton Athletic, Ipswich Town, APOEL FC in Cyprus and Maltese outfit Marsaxlokk before retiring in 2006.

Bart-Williams also represented England on the international stage at Under-19, Under-21 and ‘B’ level.

More recently, he plied his trade in the USA as a coach and mentor, running the CBW Soccer Elite.

Bart-Williams’ untimely passing mirrors that of his manager at Hillsborough Trevor Francis, who also died on this, one of the darkest days in our long history.

Our thoughts are with Chris’ and Trevor’s families and friends at this devastating time.

CHRIS BART-WILLIAMS
1974-2023
RIP

NOTTINGHAM FOREST STATEMENT:

Nottingham Forest is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of our former player Chris Bart-Williams.

Chris joined Forest from Sheffield Wednesday in 1975 and went on to make 248 appearances for the club, scoring 35 goals.

The midfielder famously scored Forest’s winning goal in a 1-0 victory over Reading in 1997/98 – a goal which secured Forest’s promotion from the First Division.

Bart-Williams also won the club’s Player of the Year award in the 2000/01 season after finishing as top goalscorer, before joining Charlton Athletic in 2002.

Our thoughts go out to Chris’ family and friends at this truly difficult time.

HIS CAREER:

Youth career
–1990 – Leyton Orient

Senior
1990–1991 – Leyton Orient – 42 games (2 goals)
1991–1995 – Sheffield Wednesday – 156 games (24 goals)
1995–2002 – Nottingham Forest – 245 games (35 goals)
2001–2003 – Charlton Athletic – 33 games (2 goals)
2003–2004 – Ipswich Town – 28 games (2  goals)
2004–2005 – APOEL – 19 games (0 goals)
2005–2006 – Marsaxlokk – 8 games (0 goals)

International career
England U19 – 7 games (0 goals)
1992–1995 England U21 – 16 games (2 goals)
1994 – England B – 1 game (0 goals)

SEE MORE: English football pay incredibly special tribute to Trevor Francis who dies aged 69

Fans and clubs are devastated at the death of 49 year old former footballer Chris Bart-Williams…

@ChelsFan1958: Chris Bart-Williams dead too!!! What a shit day for football and @NFFC especially!!! 😔 RIP

@Paramore1979: The similarities with Trevor Francis are startling. Both Wednesday heroes as well as Forest legends. Both helped our club so much with what they did on the pitch. Both went too young. Both were, by all accounts, two of the nicest blokes you’d ever meet. RIP Bart-man #nffc #swfc

@traceymillar64: Such sad news. Great player and always had a big smile on his face. Heartbreaking day for our club losing 2 brilliant people. RIP Chris Bart Williams 😢💔❤️

@psychoFTID: The Bartman always had great energy and an infectious smile. Much love to his family 🔴⚪️♥️😞

@BrianPingu: Good memories of watching Chris when growing up. I’m a City supporter, but always thought he was underrated technically. Should have played more for England. Shame to hear he’d passed so young, and doubly so just hours after the news about Trevor. Two good men, and fine players.

@DeamPeter: Heart breaking news to have two legends of the club pass so early and on the same day 💔 ! Rest in Peace, Chris! Remember the Bartman being a mainstay of the Forest midfield growing up, one of my favourite players. Prayers and thoughts with his family.

@tcwhit14: So sad, so young, remember him dancing with Kevin Campbell when they scored, good player, full of fun

@Kel_NFFC: What a truly tragic day for the clubs and football. 2 legends in one day. 🔴🌳💔

@The5herriff: Yesterday was a truly awful day for Wednesday fans. It was a pleasure to see the Bartman and Tricky Trev at Hillsborough. This is especially sad as he was so young. They played in the best Wednesday side I’ll ever see. Sending love to both their families and friends. 💙

@keiron1972: RIP CBW. Very sad 24hrs to lose two great players. Will always remember CBW warming up before kick off, gloves, bobble hat & often a scarf on. 💙

@blacktin1867: Be good if the club could do something to celebrate both of their lives at our first game of the season. RIP both 🦉

@Jay_Blogs: Both Tricky Trev and the Bartman were taken far too early, they created memories that anyone in their 40s and above will be grateful of. Thinking of their families at this time, the afterlife league is getting two skilful players there.