Chris Wilder has recently been told of the budget he will have for Sheffield United’s return to the Premier League next season.
It’s been reported that he will have a “healthy budget” and that he will keep on adding British and Irish players to the squad already made up of those nationalities.
He said, as quoted by the Mirror: “We’ve not had the ability to put three or four scouts in every country in Europe because obviously that’s a cost.
“We don’t shy away from foreign players, but they would have to fit into the togetherness and mentality of what we’ve created.
“People have cottoned on that there’s money in the Premier League and European agents are trying to move their players in. But many of them are expensive.
“It’s suited us when we’ve gone British and I don’t think we’re going to veer away from that too much.”
After being asked about the size of Wilder’s budget, chairman Kevin McCabe said: “Let’s just say it’ll be a healthy one.
“We’re not in the Premier League for fun and when you play in any market, you can’t buck it.
“So it’s about considering everything carefully. We’re not going to be rash, we’re not going to be stupid
“We accept that the world of football sees clubs go down. In recent times ourselves, Sunderland very recently, Norwich in years gone by, Leeds United, Wednesday etc.
“We’ve got to plan in the Premier League to have a nucleus of a squad that will maintain its position, but that if we did come on hard times, we wouldn’t go down with a massive, massive tumble.”
PLAYERS LINKED WITH A MOVE TO THE BLADES:
– Talks have already started with Manchester United about re-signing goalkeeper Dean Henderson on loan
– The Daily Mail says Burnley’s Joe Hart and Danny Ward of Leicester City might be considered as alternatives to Henderson
– Also reporting Sheffield United are considering permanent moves for Scott Hogan and Gary Madine who were on loan with them this season, since gone back to their parent clubs
– Chelsea youngster Kasey Palmer is a £4m target and that Bournemouth’s Jermain Defoe is also a target
– The Northern Echo claim the Blades are ready to make a summer move for Britt Assombalonga too